Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Finally got this project done!!!

I used to have a low power 20mm objective scope on this 77/22M RSI, but it never really looked right, so I wanted to keep this one in irons if possible. You guys know how bad the factory 10/22 sights are, so about 9 years ago, when XS Sights offered a Ghost Ring set-up for the 77/22, 77/357 & 77/44 series, I bought 2 sets. Glad I did, because they discontinued them shortly thereafter.

Fast forward to last month, I had my gunsmith drill and tap my receiver and install the rear ghost ring aperture.

I promptly took it out to the range the day I picked it up from Louie as it already had the included XS front blade installed. With the rear aperture bottomed out, I was hoping it would shoot low and I could easily make the adjustments by raising the aperture or by shaving a little off the top of the front sight, if needed.

NOPE, shot about 6-8" high at 25yds. DANGIT!!! Now we know why they were discontinued.

No way to make any adjustments. I needed a front sight blade at least 7/8" high.

After calling XS and being told they didn't have a front sight anywhere near that height and checking with, Lyman, Marbles, Williams, Dawson and a couple other brands, I thought I was SOL.

Then I found Tech-Sights! Called them up to get their front sight specs and BOOM, they had what I needed. $22 bucks and we're off to the races. The sight arrived a few days ago and matches the forend cap almost perfectly! I reversed the sight for aesthetics and to maximize the sight radius just a smidgen. It looks like it was made for the Ruger RSI models and also kinda gives it a SMLE look. This is the last gun in the safe that needed to be sighted in. Hoping to take care of that on the 22nd!!!

Jackrabbit Safari anyone???

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

ETA: should have wiped the blue tape residue off the barrel before the closeups, but it's been wiped down with a silicone cloth and looks new now!

Last edited by Stump Buster; 11/14/23.
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
You are correct about that XS peep sight. I wish I'd purchased several.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good looking rig!

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Neat set up!
I'm still kicking myself for not getting an RSI when I had the chance.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks Guys. I hear ya rdavid. This has been a long time in the works. When I first got it, I noticed the front sight was leaning right but the dovetail was level, so I sent it back to Ruger. Instead of installing a new barrel, they just torqued the barrel a little to index the front sight, so the rear sight was now leaning left. Back it went immediately for a new barrel (this was before I even had a chance to shoot it. About that time, I found the XS sights advertised and grabbed a couple in case I acquired more 77/22's, but since I had scoped it with an old Leupold M8, the project sat on the back burner until last month. Do I wish the lower front sight worked? Yes, because it would have made for a more pleasing and svelte profile, but since I DID need a tall sight, this one worked out great and has that familiar M1/M14/AR sight picture and as mentioned, looks right with the end-cap.

Last edited by Stump Buster; 11/15/23.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 13 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,778
Posts18,536,008
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.