Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Rumor has it Walmart guarantees rifle/scope combos to be bore sighted and dead on at 100yds… can’t beat that

HR IC

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Can't beat it with a stick

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
What if they aren’t? What do they do, give you a free tasco?

Camp is where you make it.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
They don't know much.... bore sighting gets you close usually, but seldom "dead on", whatever they mean by that. Is that MOA, or minute of 8 1/2 x 11?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No walmarts in my area sell guns anymore. It's an easy promise to keep if you aren't selling them.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta wonder how many broken legs and gut shots will come of this nonsense.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Buying a hunting rifle anywhere and taking it afield without first spending some range time with it seems irresponsible and unsportsmanlike to me.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EFHutton
Rumor has it Walmart guarantees rifle/scope combos to be bore sighted and dead on at 100yds… can’t beat that

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.... Additionally all ring screws and base screws are guaranteed to be tightened to 10 in/lbs and swimming in factory oil to prevent rust.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Buying a hunting rifle anywhere and taking it afield without first spending some range time with it seems irresponsible and unsportsmanlike to me.

Yup, but you know it will happen, a lot.

When I worked briefly behind a gun counter, I’d mount a scope, and boresight, and almost invariably before I could get my warning about checking on paper out of my mouth, the customer would say something like, “This is ready to go, right?”

My son, who worked at it a lot longer reported the same thing. People either didn’t have a place to shoot, didn’t want to “waste” the money on ammo, or just wanted a hug…. I’ve helped some folks out over the years to get their rifles dialed in, and it’s amazing how little they know, but still plan on making meat.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
So many people just don't have a clue. I knew a guy who killed one of the nicest bucks I've ever seen in my life with a 30-30 rifle after he had the gun shop put a scope on it. They never bore sighted the rifle and he never fired it until the day he shot the buck. I think he shot it at probably 50 yards, but still, he had no idea where the bullet would hit.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Seriously you think a Walmart employee is going to bore sight a scope and it will be “dead on.” That’s beyond laughable.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m sure they’re still bore sighted after shipping and bouncing around thousands of miles in trucks. Those cheap azz Chinese $40 scopes are tough as nails I tell ya!

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same experience as above. I worked in a big gun store and it blew my mind how many people thought "bore sighting" meant ready to go hunting.
Sometimes they'd bring a rifle back and complain that it wasn't sighted in right.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
That reminds me of my late uncle. When Tennessee added a muzzleloader season, my uncle bought a TC Hawken and immediately had it drilled and tapped for a scope. I asked him how it shot and he said he didn't know. The gunsmith boresighted it for him and he was going to kill a deer with the first shot. I explained the boresighting concept to him and he got a funny look on his face. I never did ask him if he actually sighted it in. BTW, he was the worst shot in the family. He probably thought boresighting was better than he could do. Ironically his son is the best shot in my generation.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I can still recall setting up a scoped rifle at the bench on a pedestal front rest and rear bag then removing the bolt.

After a few repeats of squatting behind the bench and then tweaking the pedestal screws the neighboring shooter just couldn't take it anymore and had to ask me what the hell I was doing.

"I'm boresighting". "Huh?". "I'm getting the crosshair aligned with the bore". "Huh, that's not how they did it at the store".

"Nope. No spud needed". "What's a spud?".

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JD45
Same experience as above. I worked in a big gun store and it blew my mind how many people thought "bore sighting" meant ready to go hunting.
Sometimes they'd bring a rifle back and complain that it wasn't sighted in right.

That’s why I tried to mansplain it to ‘em before they left.

A range buddy told me he’s had to help out a number of poor souls using laser units, because they aren’t doing the job. Might be price related; I bought some 20ga laser units, came as a pair. One was pretty straight, but the other one was so cockeyed I could spin it in the chamber and watch it scribe a circle on the target- useless.

The Wheeler (IIRC) magnetic unit I bought is okay, but no better than what I do by eye, so it gets saved for ones I can’t boresight.

I’ve had pretty good luck with good quality guns and mounts when used with NIB scopes that are presumably centered as they come, being about as close to on as I do boresighting.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
They're just as stupid on this topic as they are on who to knock up and how to bathe and pay their bills and drive their car and vote.

Stupid should hurt and I'm all for it.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 11/17/23.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
No thanks

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have seen scopes mounted backwards, and guys at the range sighting in their rifles in the off hand position.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
They're just as stupid on this topic as they are on who to knock up and how to bathe and pay their bills and drive their car and vote.

Stupid should hurt and I'm all for it.
Who brought up Oregon? LMFAO

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 83 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,721
Posts18,494,661
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.