Campfire Member
M
Ruark wrote about it.

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yes, and it’s EPIC!!!!! I could make a long winded post and rant and rant, but Id just suggest contacting Mark Haldane with Bird Hunters Africa. When I say it’s epic, it’s epic. We killed 7 different species, and at times, you couldn’t touch your barrels.

Attached Images
IMG_1186.jpeg (30.69 KB, 252 downloads)
IMG_1163.jpeg (23.21 KB, 241 downloads)
IMG_1151.jpeg (13.97 KB, 242 downloads)
IMG_1212.jpeg (27.87 KB, 243 downloads)
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've hunted birds some as a side-line on big game safaris, but in 2015 went on an all-bird trip with Grasslands Safaris near Bloomfontein, South Africa. Have been bird-hunting in Argentina twice and both trips were great, but RSA was even better.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Wantedto Argentina but can’t bring birds back

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Blaserman

You can’t bring them back from RSA either……5 years ago my wife and I did a bird shooting safari in RSA from the northern end of Limpopo province all the way to the Cape area. Combo of waterfowl and upland game and doves. It was 2 weeks of great shooting.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

Actually I did bring a few dozen doves back from my first trip to Argentina, but they were plucked, frozen and sealed in plastic. Went through customs in Miami just fine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Only thing I ever saw on bird hunting in Africa was a TV program about it and the hunter they followed was Bing Crosby. Never been they and doubt I ever will but from what I read about hunting in Africa, the hunter doesn't get to keep the game, it's mostly donated to local tribes. Some is used to feed the sportsmen hunting there. Maybe hunting birds is different?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by DonFischer
Only thing I ever saw on bird hunting in Africa was a TV program about it and the hunter they followed was Bing Crosby. Never been they and doubt I ever will but from what I read about hunting in Africa, the hunter doesn't get to keep the game, it's mostly donated to local tribes. Some is used to feed the sportsmen hunting there. Maybe hunting birds is different?

That show had to have been 40-50 years ago. Some things have changed but the bottom line is that you can’t bring meat of any sort back from Africa, birds or game animals. Hell, they sell biltong (jerky) in the Joberg airport and Customs will invariably ask you when you return if you have any. If you do, they confiscate it, even though it is processed and individually packaged. Bottom line is that you can’t bring any foodstuff back. I’ve been going once or twice a year for 25 years and that’s the story.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I shot birds on the back-end of a 24 day safari to Botswana, back in 1989. It was pretty epic. I shot several species of doves, several species of francolin, Guinea fowl, numerous ducks, Egyptian geese and one spur wing goose. My only disappointment was that I only had 20 boxes of shells. They didn’t last long. I’d love to do a dedicated bird shooting trip one of these days.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have spoken to several Outfitters. One was Bird Hunting Africa you can import back the Birds.
I was starting to get discouraged on bird hunting Africa.
15 different ducks and Geese plus. Upland style birds a possibility. I am also adding a few plains game. I have been twice before. Just not for birds. This have become my new direction.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have spoken to several Outfitters. One was Bird Hunting Africa you can import back the Birds.
I was starting to get discouraged on bird hunting Africa.
15 different ducks and Geese plus. Upland style birds a possibility. I am also adding a few plains game. I have been twice before. Just not for birds. This have become my new direction.

Here’s another one to look into. We hunted with Mike through Bird Hunters Africa, but it looks like he may have gone out on his own.

https://www.mikecurrieadventures.co.za/wild_wingshooting.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was in South Africa I kicked myself for not bringing a shot gun. Birds were everywhere, but especially guinea fowl and francolin by the hordes... I would have gladly traded a couple days of antelope hunting for bird hunting (and eating)...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jdollar
Originally Posted by DonFischer

That show had to have been 40-50 years ago. Some things have changed but the bottom line is that you can’t bring meat of any sort back from Africa, birds or game animals. Hell, they sell biltong (jerky) in the Joberg airport and Customs will invariably ask you when you return if you have any. If you do, they confiscate it, even though it is processed and individually packaged. Bottom line is that you can’t bring any foodstuff back. I’ve been going once or twice a year for 25 years and that’s the story.

Ya know I'd bet it was close to 50 years ago. But still the only Africa show I ever saw with bird hunting. Bing and hius partner were kept pretty busy shooting!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by jetjockey
Yes, and it’s EPIC!!!!! I could make a long winded post and rant and rant, but Id just suggest contacting Mark Haldane with Bird Hunters Africa. When I say it’s epic, it’s epic. We killed 7 different species, and at times, you couldn’t touch your barrels.
Great to hear about your bird hunting experience in Africa. Killing 7 different species is a great mark and thanks for sharing the lovely, pics.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. Great shooting along the Zambezi and Kariba also KZN has a good sporting bird population.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

437 members (219 Wasp, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 51 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,843
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.