Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Windfall
Two years ago I shot a buck in the upper neck with a 140 grain BT from my 7mm-08 and the deer looked like it had a goiter the skin was stretched so much. A softer bullet like that puts more violent expansion into a smaller area like that than a harder bullet. Even if I'd had missed the spine, I can't imagine that deer wouldn't have gone down.
He would have. I have shot them with a 22-250 and used bothe the Sierra 50 grain SP Varminter and the 50 grain Blitzkings.

Instant lights out.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 11/16/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Windfall
Two years ago I shot a buck in the upper neck with a 140 grain BT from my 7mm-08 and the deer looked like it had a goiter the skin was stretched so much. A softer bullet like that puts more violent expansion into a smaller area like that than a harder bullet. Even if I'd had missed the spine, I can't imagine that deer wouldn't have gone down.
He would have. I have shot them with a 22-250 and used bothe the Sierra 50 grain SP Varminter and the 50 grain Blitzkings.

Instant lights out.
I bet you shot ‘em right in the ear hole!

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Each situation dictates a different reaction. Is a neck shot warranted in some situations? Absolutely you bet!!

Hook and Book, Shoot and Scoot
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Neck shots work like a charm, never need to deal with tracking, at least I never had to get, dropped a doe last night with a 308, like she hit a brick wall.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TwoTrax
Myself, no. I had a bud, whom I left hunt on my property, who shot at the neck. After he missed the spine on several and I found them ruined a few days later, I told him if he ever shoots a deer in the neck on my place again, he was done. He then did shoulder/lung shots. He has not not lost a deer since. I have found a couple deer in which the shooter tried a head shot. The deer obviously died a horrible death from the nose or jaw being shot off. So they are a non starter on my place too.

There has never been a deer lost at my place with a solid heart/lung/shoulder shot. Some that were liver/gut shot required some effort but we always managed to find them. The neck/head shot deer we lost left no blood trail at all after a short distance.
This+10. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by OldRooster
Simple question- if you have a clear shot would you take a neck shot? Several years ago I made a shot on a nice buck. The bullet must have hit a twig b/c a shoulder shot ended up being a neck shot and the deer dropped like a stone. Best buck I’ve ever killed. My rifles shoot very well but I haven’t had the cajones to try one deliberately but I keep thinking about how clean that kill was. Do any of y’all take a neck shot if it’s a clear shot?
I've killed a lot of mule deer with neck shots.
I've always been too lazy to bone out the neck on a deer, so a neck shot gives me an excuse. smile

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Took one today. It worked

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If they’re close enough it’s my preferred shot. Right where the neck and shoulders meet. Dead center.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Simple question- if you have a clear shot would you take a neck shot? Several years ago I made a shot on a nice buck. The bullet must have hit a twig b/c a shoulder shot ended up being a neck shot and the deer dropped like a stone. Best buck I’ve ever killed. My rifles shoot very well but I haven’t had the cajones to try one deliberately but I keep thinking about how clean that kill was. Do any of y’all take a neck shot if it’s a clear shot?

Absolutely. Head or neck. Weigh distance, accuracy of the gun, steadiness of the rest .. decide. I especially use it when using smaller cartridges that I don't have confidence in with heart/lung shots. It is lights-out if executed correctly. It can be a real [bleep] show if you flub it.

It has nothing to do with cajones though. Viewing it in that context .. there's no right answer when you ask a wrong question.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
T O M, yep. I had a sample of one to work with and that one was a fluke, hence my question. I have complete faith in my rifles’ accuracy especially under the conditions members say they observe when making a neck shot. This has been a great conversation and I’ve learned quite a bit from the experience you all have shared.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I find it fairly effective......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Did not read the thread. But I will stand by the fact that anatomically the brain socket is a much larger and rounder target than the neck is. And I've trailed more neck shot deer than head shot deer. But yes in many years of head shots I've had to finish 2 head shot deer that went wrong.

We now shoot body so the dog has practice trailing. But a stationary deer with a good rest out to about 200 yards for sure I'd take a head over a neck and if I miss I'm going to miss high now every time due to my method. Which is miss. This over any attempt at a neck shot.

Personal preference.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Neck shots? Only a fool takes neck shots!!!!!!!!!

I'm kidding, I will take a neck shot every chance I get, 0 wasted meat, perfect. cool

Shot this guy in the throat at 147 yards with my M1917, dropped in his tracks.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/19/23.

KB

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One cold, frosty morning I was still hunting along a low ridge of the Allegheny Highlands in Pennsylvania. Two does crossed my path at about 50 yards and a 6 point buck followed a short distance behind them. I whistled and he stopped to look right at me but his body was obscured by a wide oak. So I raised my carbine and sighted into the white throat patch and squeezed the trigger. He dropped in his tracks as the heavy 170 grain bullet tore through flesh and vertebrae. This buck never knew what hit him. 30-30 is a keeper! - Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Reading through this thread, it seems the most common reason given by those who object to neck shots is that they’ve seen someone screw up neck shots.

By that standard, I guess I should never use a .30-06 for deer because the two worst gut-shot goat rodeos I’ve ever had to follow up on were deer shot with.30-06’s.

The fact of the matter, inept people are going to fuque stuff up. It doesn’t matter if it’s a particular shot placement, the cartridge used, the bullet used, the type of rifle….if its not done right, it’s the fault of the person doing it.

The whole process of killing a deer well is a matter of using an appropriate selection of rifle, cartridge, bullet and shot placement for the circumstances presented. All those are components of a system. For someone with the requisite skill, neck shot is a very useful and effective shot placement when necessary and when the other components of the system fit and function with it.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cra1948
Reading through this thread, it seems the most common reason given by those who object to neck shots is that they’ve seen someone screw up neck shots.

By that standard, I guess I should never use a .30-06 for deer because the two worst gut-shot goat rodeos I’ve ever had to follow up on were deer shot with.30-06’s.

The fact of the matter, inept people are going to fuque stuff up. It doesn’t matter if it’s a particular shot placement, the cartridge used, the bullet used, the type of rifle….if its not done right, it’s the fault of the person doing it.

The whole process of killing a deer well is a matter of using an appropriate selection of rifle, cartridge, bullet and shot placement for the circumstances presented. All those are components of a system. For someone with the requisite skill, neck shot is a very useful and effective shot placement when necessary and when the other components of the system fit and function with it.

It has been my observation with over 50 years of experience afield that most people are not good shots on birds and big game.

So I agree with your statement 100%

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/20/23.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Simple question- if you have a clear shot would you take a neck shot?

Yes

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What’s not to like? Midway down just in front of the shoulder is DRT.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I break shoulder blades, yes I lose a little more meat but I don’t track them either. Shot a few in the neck but if you make this shot enough your chances of wounding them is greater, no doubt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ever seen a deer running around with his lower jaw shot off and it's tounge hanging out?
F-no on neck shots.
Punch behind the shoulder.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Proud NRA Life Member
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (257Bob, 222Sako, 1badf350, 1234, 257man, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 13,749 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,160
Posts18,542,841
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.