Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
AZmark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been to Alaska and Kodiak a few times mostly for fishing, wife has been with me on a couple trips as have my sons, so I know my way around for that activity. Something my wife and I have been wanting to do is visit Alaska in late winter or early spring to see the northern lights for 2-3 days. Thinking about sometime Jan through March of next year for a trip. Rather than going through a travel broker, I'd like to plan it myself, make my own flights and reservations (I've got lots of miles on Alaska Air). Can any of you AK's send me some info on best places to go and stay, or maybe some contacts to talk with? It would me much appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by akpls
Beat me to the punch 'o' the button you did wink

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
👍👍👍

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thousands of Asians come through Fairbanks in February and March to see the Aurora. Many consider it good luck to conceive a child under the lights so keep that in mind. smile

I'd suggest March as a bit warmer with a good mix of day/night for any other sight seeing. Many folks drive down through my area to visit the Castner Glacier Ice Cave as a side trip. Usually a caribou herd can be spotted in Donnelly Flats.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VernAK
Thousands of Asians come through Fairbanks in February and March to see the Aurora. Many consider it good luck to conceive a child under the lights so keep that in mind. smile

And Chena Hot Springs is often busy and dominated with Japanese so much so that you don't hear much English spoken.

They don't get the best of reviews anymore either.

In Japanese folklore, it is believed that if a woman becomes pregnant under the Northern Lights, her child will be blessed with good luck and fortune. According to the legend, the Northern Lights are the spirits of unborn children who are waiting to be born. When a child is conceived under the lights, the spirit of the child is said to join the other spirits, bringing good luck to the family.

The legend has its roots in the Ainu, an indigenous group in Japan who live in the northernmost island of Hokkaido. The Ainu believe that the Northern Lights are the spirits of their ancestors, and that they have the power to bring good luck and prosperity to those who see them. They also believe that the lights are a sign of the changing seasons and the arrival of the spring.

The legend of conceiving a child under the Northern Lights is not unique to Japan. In some Scandinavian cultures, it is also believed that if a child is conceived under the lights, they will be blessed with good luck and fortune. However, the Japanese legend adds an extra layer of magic and spirituality to the Northern Lights, emphasizing the connection between nature and human life.

While there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that conceiving under the Northern Lights will bring good luck and fortune, the legend remains a popular and beloved part of Japanese folklore.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
We laugh about an incident at Chena Hot Springs Resort. Christmas time, 40 below, place over-run with Japanese. Bus loads of them roaded up from Fairbanks.

My Columbian niece in law hung her distinctive towel up out in the dressing room. On leaving the pool, she found a Japanese lady using it- one she had heard speaking English earlier. Nippon claimed the towel was hers.

Confronted, the Japanese lady suddenly lost all her English and went into a tirade in Japanese.

Let's just say that was the wrong tact to take with a red-headed Columbian woman, because Japanese is just no match for female pissed-off Spanish!

The towel was reclaimed....

Last edited by las; 11/19/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the social scene is what suits you best Chena HS resort could suit you.

I like a little slower pace and more private of location myself.

CAREFULLY read the most current of the following reviews.

Chena Hot Springs reviews

Aurora Borealis Lodge reviews

The Aurora Borealis Lodge is far smaller, it sits on a ridge offering a unobstructed view of the expansive northern horizon.

They have a small 1000sf Chalet there they call Logans Chalet that you can book and have to yourselves.

[Linked Image]
Logan’s Chalet is a 2 bedroom/1 bathroom, 1000 square ft log house. It’s perfect for families, groups of friends, or even two-person parties who like to have more privacy.

Your view can be either from your own private viewing platform or from the huge windows in your living room.

I've been there numerous times, even as it was being built by the now deceased, long time outfitter, guide and dear friend Logan Rickitts, the place absolutely rocks.

Aurora Borealis Lodge

PO Box 72422
Fairbanks, Alaska 99707

infoauroracabin.com

(907) 389-2812

https://auroracabin.com/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
We laugh about an incident at Chena Hot Springs Resort. Christmas time, 40 below, place over-run with Japanese. Bus loads of them roaded up from Fairbanks.

My Columbian niece in law hung her distinctive towel up out in the dressing room. On leaving the pool, she found a Japanese lady using it- one she had heard speaking English earlier. Nippon claimed the towel was hers.

Confronted, the Japanese lady suddenly lost all her English and went into a tirade in Japanese.

Let's just say that was the wrong tact to take with a red-headed Columbian woman, because Japanese is just no match for female pissed-off Spanish!

The towel was reclaimed....

I'll tell ya why she snached the towel, if you're at their pool and need a towel it costs you $5 bucks!

Absolutely nothing is inclusive with the room rate at that place.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
If you insist on Alaska, I'm sure you can get what you want. Lots of great info on this forum.

Here's another option: Iceland.

Why Iceland? High percentage chance of seeing the Aurora Borealis, and flights and tours are plentiful from North America and reasonable. Here's the forecast: https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/aurora-30-minute-forecast

I just saw the Aurora Borealis coming into Reykjavik the capital (Keflavik Airport) last month. It glowed from horizon to horizon, and that was in a plane coming in to land. (Keflavik was a transit airport for me).

And the Icelandic women are not too hard on the eyes either.

Just a thought!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you go to the Fairbanks area this guy is awesome.

https://www.fairbanksauroratours.com/

We stayed here, and it was excellent.

https://www.fountainheadhotels.com/wedgewood-resort

AZmark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good info guys, Keep it coming..................I'll be looking at what's been suggested and pick one.
Thanks

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
We stayed at Borealis Basecamp (borealisbasecamp.net) a few miles north of Fairbanks in late March, and the light show was unbelievable, the have several packages with different activities that are available. We enjoyed our stay at BB and in Fairbanks!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Chena Hot Springs is the one stop shop for this kind of thing, but they’ll be a lot of other people there…and a lot of them won’t be very courteous especially from an American viewpoint.

I sometimes have breakfast there if hunting in the area but that is about it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pupjoint
We stayed at Borealis Basecamp (borealisbasecamp.net) a few miles north of Fairbanks in late March, and the light show was unbelievable, the have several packages with different activities that are available. We enjoyed our stay at BB and in Fairbanks!!

I have been out there for dinner, if I was from out of town It would be worth considering spending a night.
Aurora activity can vary, seems like they can predict it to some degree these days.
I live in town so rarely see them these days. I use to see them a lot more when i was single.

If you rent a vehicle, take a ride ip Ullerhaven or Murphy dome. 360 degree view.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Helped out black rapids lodge with a father/son combo last year. Cool guys, they liked drinking beer. If your fit and want to do active things in the winter, check them out sometime.

Day 1 was hiking to the glaciers/northern lights viewing.

Day 2 was running a couple teams of dogs for training.

Day 3 was supposed to be the running their own teams to a glacier less traveled. BUT, they backed out. I think the size of the malamutes was too intimidating, so they went and visited tiny race dogs instead.

I didn't take the pics, a young mountaineer did the photography:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AZmark
Good info guys, Keep it coming..................I'll be looking at what's been suggested and pick one.
Thanks

Hope you enjoy your adventure.

It'd be real nifty of ya to pull this thread back up after your trip and post a little review of you experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've did great out my bedroom window...[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] notice the 2 trees on the lower left.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
A
acy Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Northern lights are on my wife's bucket list. I've been thinking Fairbanks; she has been looking at Iceland or Norway. If a person shows up in Fairbanks during the winter/spring for 5-7 days, what would you guys guess that the odds are of seeing a light show? Assuming clear weather, of course. Thanks, Al.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 16penny, 02bfishn, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,978
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.