Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
At the end of a youtube video I watched, this one popped up. It's about the problems with the Panama Canal. Because of drought, the lakes that feed it are drying up and they don't have enough water to operate the locks. As a result, some of the wait times to go through the canal are now weeks long. They've had to reduce the number of ships going through per day by 20%.
They have a few suggested solutions but I didn't see an obvious one - reuse the water in the locks. Instead of dumping the water in the ocean, why not build a nuke to run massive pumps to pull the water from the lower locks and pump it back up to the lake?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thats a problem for the super intelligent Chinese to figure out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was there last year at the Miraflores lock, pretty impressive engineering, they have other problems as well with the protests of the copper mine!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Why not just build a nuke?

LOL!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hell just blast a sea-level canal out and be done with it ,we already got invasive species in all the oceans anyway so just open it up let em fight out that survival of the fittest thing and get the Chinese crap to the Walmart

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Jimmy 'the Peanut Brain' Carter gave Panama control of the canal in 1978, for reasons I have yet to understand...many suspected that at that time, this would bite us in the arse. I think the US Navy has some thoughts on Panama (or China) in control and the canal being available for transit 365 days a year? As per usual, no matter the fix, the US taxpayer is going to foot the bill, bank on it.
Consistent with the theme of all of my political opinion posts...is there anything!!! the US Govt touches that turns out well?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Another reason for biden to throw even more money at "climate change". I'm sure the plans are in place. No mention of Theodore Roosevelt seems odd to me as he was a great advocate for the canal. They sure seemed happy with Carter's folly in giving it away though.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Jimmy 'the Peanut Brain' Carter gave Panama control of the canal in 1978, for reasons I have yet to understand...many suspected that at that time, this would bite us in the arse. I think the US Navy has some thoughts on Panama (or China) in control and the canal being available for transit 365 days a year? As per usual, no matter the fix, the US taxpayer is going to foot the bill, bank on it.
Consistent with the theme of all of my political opinion posts...is there anything!!! the US Govt touches that turns out well?

If we do, we need to regain control of the canal, permanently.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
Hell just blast a sea-level canal out and be done with it ,we already got invasive species in all the oceans anyway so just open it up let em fight out that survival of the fittest thing and get the Chinese crap to the Walmart
That would be an incredible waste of resources. A reliable source of power, day and night, wind or not, would be a nuke running huge pumps to send the water from the bottom lock back up to the top. It would never run out of power and they could keep the ships moving constantly.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
That would be an incredible waste of resources. A reliable source of power, day and night, wind or not, would be a nuke running huge pumps to send the water from the bottom lock back up to the top. It would never run out of power and they could keep the ships moving constantly.

You guys are applying logic. The green coalition would fight this tooth and nail. There is no applying logic because too many folks have none.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At the end of a youtube video I watched, this one popped up. It's about the problems with the Panama Canal. Because of drought, the lakes that feed it are drying up and they don't have enough water to operate the locks. As a result, some of the wait times to go through the canal are now weeks long. They've had to reduce the number of ships going through per day by 20%.
They have a few suggested solutions but I didn't see an obvious one - reuse the water in the locks. Instead of dumping the water in the ocean, why not build a nuke to run massive pumps to pull the water from the lower locks and pump it back up to the lake?

Now is the time to build that set of docks on the west side of Mexico. That makes I-35 the Super Highway to America. The biggest advantage is shutting down the LA docks and killing that union.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke

That will be his legacy.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We handed Panama a vast income source with that. The OP video said that the largest container ships can pay as much as $300k for passage.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It is NOT the Panama Canal. It is an American Canal in Panama.

I watched until global warming..........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe Jimmy Carter was right afterall...

Just joking.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m sure that’s the first drought in Panamanian history.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The canal connects 2 oceans and they pump water from lakes? Ummm...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bluffview
That's the whole point of the thread. They're looking at a bunch of solutions but a good, efficient source of power isn't on the list. Windmills and solar aren't efficient. They need coal, gas, or, the best for long term, a nuke.

― George Orwell

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Not really pumping from the lakes, they are more gravity feed from the lakes. In 1914 that solution required less power.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's the whole point of the thread. They're looking at a bunch of solutions but a good, efficient source of power isn't on the list. Windmills and solar aren't efficient. They need coal, gas, or, the best for long term, a nuke.

Besides the obvious problems with the time required for design, permitting, and construction of a new nuclear plant (decades) and the cost (billions, which Panama can't afford) do you really want third world countries in the nuclear power plant business?

Obvious solution my ass.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (1936M71, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 43Shooter, 26 invisible), 15,533 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,107
Posts18,541,890
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.