Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://thefederalist.com/2023/11/2...e-leftist-guests-at-thanksgiving-dinner/

Major publications each year publish those insipid “how to handle your racist uncle during the holidays” articles. They’re absolutely useless because nobody in America has a racist uncle — and if they do, they aren’t actually worried about him. But here’s something most Americans almost certainly do have: a miserable left-wing relative or close family friend who shows up at least once each year to make everyone uncomfortable.

The discomfort these guests impose has a range. It can be so subtle the victims aren’t even sure what’s causing it, or it can be so overt it results in verbal or even physical conflict. But it’s real, common, and a threat to holiday joy for all.

The danger most commonly manifests itself in the passive-aggressive dinner- or drinks-time dare. The septum-pierced undergrad who dares you to have a difference of opinion on Gaza being an “open-air prison.” The cat-lady aunt who dares you to say otherwise on the “threat to democracy” (anyone who disagrees with her, ie. you). The 30-something cuckold who dares you to have the wrong answer to his intrusive query of who “got their booster.”

They say what they want with impunity. The expectation is everyone present accepts it to get along. If not, the belief is you’ll be outsmarted and overwhelmed by their mastery of argument. Should they be countered with a superior, more popular perspective, the game isn’t over. They’ll scream. And just as likely, they’ll cry. Evening ruined. Mission accomplished.

Seemingly, there is no winning. Either nod along politely or engage, thus running the likely odds of escalating a conflict that ends ugly for all present parties. But there are other viable options when confronted with a miserable liberal on Thanksgiving. Consider one or all of the following, depending on the subject’s level of hostility.

Invite them to relax, cheer up, and share in the joy of the season. Happiness, amusement, and contentment are not the natural disposition of leftists. They prefer anger, self-righteousness, and dismay. The most wonderful time of year quickly approaches, though it makes no difference. But it very well might be because they don’t feel explicitly included by their family and loved ones. After all, leftists are nothing if not self-absorbed, neurotic, and needy. They often require extra attention if it means getting them to cooperate. When one seems ready to initiate a confrontation, perhaps suggest he or she — they/them — spare everyone the more serious topics of conversation and instead breathe a little, have a drink, and talk instead of sports, games, and romance.

With caution, engage the conversation. This option only works if done under the assumption the interaction is sure to become acrimonious. It’s nothing for a liberal to call family members — to say nothing of perfect strangers — racist, bigoted, and uneducated. Those are insults sure to be thrown by the wet blanket of a Thanksgiving guest, and just the same, they’re meaningless substitutes for reasonable debate and logic.

When the conversation, such that it can be called one, reaches that point, it’s best to calmly address the dunce with something like, “I’m glad you got that off your chest,” before turning attention to more interesting, enjoyable guests. There is no matching the emotional agony, anguish, and gloom of a liberal ready for a fight. Their despair is to be dismissed, not disputed. Besides, why should your own delightful spirit be diminished by the perpetually unhappy? It shouldn’t.

Belittle, debase, and denigrate the cheerless sourpuss. This is generally a last resort to cope with the miserable liberals known to repeatedly spread their blight in such gatherings; the ones who can be counted on to radiate discontent and decay, infusing holidays with their unique poison. Their opinions and views are inherently stupid and self-defeating, and they typically fly in the face of all life experiences. To call such assertions ridiculous, embarrassing, and thoughtless is both humorous and factual. It might also be necessary.

Once again, the tortured leftist will likely respond with venom. That’s expected. Wounded animals have no choice but to bite. And once again, there is nothing to be gained in trying to match his spite. It can’t be matched, and the attempt moves the liberal’s victim into his preferred territory: desolation. Simply shift focus to another guest.

I hope this helps, and happy Thanksgiving.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They're 'not invited'... Easy/peasy..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don’t have leftist friends, and haven’t talked to my leftist relatives in years.

Easy- Peasy

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by steve4102
Don’t have leftist friends, and haven’t talked to my leftist relatives in years.

Easy- Peasy

Solid strategy

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler

Easy- Peasy

Solid strategy

Life's too short to associate with commies. And Thanksgiving, or any holiday for that matter, should not be a struggle.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler

Easy- Peasy

Solid strategy

Life's too short to associate with commies. And Thanksgiving, or any holiday for that matter, should not be a struggle.
^^^^

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There is no hope for peace, particularly with family, during the family get togethers. This is one of the reasons I have a 1500 mile rule.

One must live a minimum of 1500 from any blood relative.
If a blood relative moves closer I have to move further away.
This has worked well for 58 years so far. Good ‘nuff! MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Redneck
pithy, succinct, accurate

Sam......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ever UN-invite someone who is already there and is just insufferable? I have.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Ever UN-invite someone who is already there and is just insufferable? I have.
My oldest nephew hosted Thanksgiving dinner at his house about 8 years ago. My mom, his grandmother, and my oldest sister, his mom, started squabbling about something and my nephew quickly let them know, "if you two don't stop, you're both going have to leave".

I love that guy. Can't wait 'til our next fishing adventure.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

It doesn't get any simpler than that!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 12344mag

The problem with the OP article, gives tips on dealing with a situation you don't even have to deal with.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Originally Posted by 12344mag

The problem with the OP article, gives tips on dealing with a situation you don't even have to deal with.

For sure, but if you think about it the same way of thinking can be applied to any social setting, even involving strangers.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
A coffee ground rub on a monster size moose brisket and three other meat courses. Let the Vagens starve.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
My SIL hosted TG once & threw up a big stink when she inadvertently found out several guests were conceal-carrying. What a rant!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
that's really easy for us you deep fry turkey outside right outside of the shooting range and gun building and enjoy some full auto type weaponry and short barrel rifles and pistol braces and such they'll see their self out piss on them

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Don't have any lefties in my family thankfully but if I did they wouldn't be welcome here and they'd damn sure know it.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have some and I would tell them GFY but my mother is 87 and wants everyone there so I suffer in silence. It might be moms last.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Drawn the line, NEVER FORGET !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Don't have any lefties in my family thankfully but if I did they wouldn't be welcome here and they'd damn sure know it.

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 673, 1_deuce, Akhutr, 79S, 12 invisible), 1,614 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,505
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.