Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm grateful to be able to fill any tag. Somehow it is even more satisfying to do it with my own reloads. My last two bucks (including yesterday's) folded nicely to Barnes 210 grain bullet over 66.5 grains of R15 from my 375 H&H.

Yes I know I don't need a 375 to knock down whitetail. It's just my go to rifle for everything, so why not?

What loads are you guys using out there this year for whitetail or muleys?

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mssgn
I'm grateful to be able to fill any tag. Somehow it is even more satisfying to do it with my own reloads. My last two bucks (including yesterday's) folded nicely to Barnes 210 grain bullet over 66.5 grains of R15 from my 375 H&H.

Yes I know I don't need a 375 to knock down whitetail. It's just my go to rifle for everything, so why not?

I don't see a problem with your choice. I'd think it would damage the deer less than several commonly used cartridges. Is that how it turned out?

Unless the weather is bad next time out I'll be toting my 700 Classic in 300 Savage. 150 and 165 grain Interlocks are the bullets of choice.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mssgn

It is VERY gratifying to use your own handcrafted loads to put meat on the table. It's the only way I've rolled since I started deer hunting more than a few decades ago.

Three for me this year:

1) A self-built, from scratch, 50 cal flintlock Tennessee-esque pattern longrifle firing home cast roundballs, patches lubed with bear grease, and a healthy charge of FFg Holy Black.

2) A JM Marlin 30-30 with 170 grain Speer HotCore FPs powered by a perfect amount of Varget in Winchester cases and sparked by CCI.

3) Another JM Marlin in 444 with 240 grain Zero FPs powered by a perfect amount of 5744 in Hornady cases and sparked also by CCI.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
That is my goal for the season. Good job with the 375. Have always had a desire to own one of those.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Clifford

A man without a stick will get bitten even by sheep.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We've been using strictly handloads since my wife surprised me with a Rock Chucker II back in 2004. It is very gratifying to see your handloaded rounds perform well, and to take your game efficiently. The cartridge we've most often used was the 7mm-08 either standard or AI'd.

Wife took the best buck either of us have ever seen this past Tuesday using a T3X SL in 7-08 shooting 120 gr Nosler BTs at a little over 3000 fps. Shot was 220 yds with the buck walking. He ran about 20 yds and went down. Bullet hit right where she was aiming, a little high. Bullet exited, you can see the blood all around where he fell. Here's a pic:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mssgn, I like the way you operate! I’m pretty fond of the .375 H&H (or AI) for use as my “all around” as well! It simply works….without any drama! 😉

The load for my retired H&H is 82.0 grains of WW 760 under a 270 grain Hornady Spire Point Interlock. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/21/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
Mssgn, I like the way you operate! I’m pretty fond of the .375 H&H (or AI) for use as my “all around” as well! It simply works….without any drama! 😉

The load for my retired H&H is 82.0 grains of WW 760 under a 270 grain Hornady Spire Point Interlock. memtb

I thought this mssgn was either you, or your brother. Ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Gee, the buck I dropped this season, was downed with a hand loaded 6 x 45, with a 100 grain Hornady SP, over 24 grains of H 322...opposite end of the spectrum from the 375 H & H.

The H & H has a much "cooler, cool factor" than my 6 x 45, but it was a forked horn, that took off the top of the aorta, thru the heart, and took off a good piece of the liver...it went down DRT. So you win in the class dept.

Years ago, I always wanted a Model 70 in a 375 H & H. Never bought one tho, a Model 70 in 338 Win Mag was as close as I got to it...but the two rounds I loaded for this years season? The 6 x 45, with the 100 gr Hornady, and a 6.5 Grendel with a 129 grain Hornady SP, over 29 grains of W748. The second rifle scored my last buck, the year before.

I realize both of those work just as well for my needs under 300 yds.

However the 'COOL' factor goes to your Model 70 in the H&H 375. Congrats on your success!

& Happy Thanksgiving ! ( and to the rest of you gents on this thread! )

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Bludog

Congrats to you and your wife!!! That is an amazing deer!!!! I would probably have a heart attack if that thing walked out in from of me.

Have a Great Thanksgiving!

CLifford

Originally Posted by bludog
We've been using strictly handloads since my wife surprised me with a Rock Chucker II back in 2004. It is very gratifying to see your handloaded rounds perform well, and to take your game efficiently. The cartridge we've most often used was the 7mm-08 either standard or AI'd.

Wife took the best buck either of us have ever seen this past Tuesday using a T3X SL in 7-08 shooting 120 gr Nosler BTs at a little over 3000 fps. Shot was 220 yds with the buck walking. He ran about 20 yds and went down. Bullet hit right where she was aiming, a little high. Bullet exited, you can see the blood all around where he fell. Here's a pic:

A man without a stick will get bitten even by sheep.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
That is a very nice deer Bludog!!

I've been using a .375R for the past several seasons. Prior favorite was some flavor of .300, Win or Roy. My son favors the Roy.

Have zero issue killing deer with a .22CF, if they're in the open and no ugly cover within 100 yds or so. I've used .22s and .24s, and would do so again given acceptable conditions.

But that's not the situation out back; cedar swamps and deadfalls can turn a death sprint into a nightmare, or add alot of stress and work. I'm too old for that. Not enough to kill something out back - need to retrieve it, and soon.

Unless doing pest control.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
This year was my 7 RM using 150gr Swift SCIIs over 67.1gr of H-4831 for the elk and whitetail I took.

Several years ago I used my 375 H&H w/ factory 270 gr Hornady Spire Point Interlock for whitetail. No entry/exit wound damage, but the lungs/heart were mush.

Last edited by Heeler; 11/22/23.

He went over yonder way
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
It’s a good feeling

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Haven't killed a deer with anything but handloads for a lot of years. I agree it is satisfying. I also enjoy testing different bullets and seeing how my pre-conceived velocity range for whichever bullet/caliber I'm shooting works out.

Also load for 5 different people......I enjoy being part of that success as well. Actually starting to enjoy that as much as my own hunting. Just got a second text from a buddy with his second nice buck for the yr using reloads I done for him. They always let me know distances, how the bullets being used performed, DRT, ect. Combined they all kill way more deer than I do, gives me good feedback on what works.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by memtb

I thought this mssgn was either you, or your brother. Ha ha..

Perhaps…….my “brother” from another “mother”! 😂 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mssgn, I failed to mention. There is a lot of satisfaction in taking game with your hand loads……taking game with you home cast bullets adds another dimension to that satisfaction!

I think that the last time I killed something with a factory load was somewhere around 1970 or ‘71…..been at this a while! 😉 memtb

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bludog

That's a Beautiful Buck right there. Congrats on a great Buck and a great shot.

To the op, nothing wrong with using a 375 to hunt WT Deer. Just another tool in the box. looks like you worked up a nice load to shoot your Buck's with. Congrats. I try to rotate rifles when I hunt. I'm sorry I sold my 375 many years ago. If I still had it, I would take out to shoot a WT Buck.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Totally agree that taking game with cartridges you have made gives heightened pleasure. Start casting your bullets for hunting and you will achieve intense heightened pleasure! wink

Last edited by Joe; 11/22/23.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This morning: .308, Sierra 125 gr TGK and lots of TAC; he trotted about 25 yards.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I've used factory loads only once or twice that I can recall in my career.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I can't recall the last time I shot a game animal with a factory load. This year it was a whitetail doe and buck with a 7 SAUM and 7 PRC. Both loaded with 180 Scenars over RL26. Last year was similar - 2 whitetails, but with a 6.5 CM and H4350. Cant remember if those were shot with 139 Scenar or 142 Accubond LR (might have been one of each).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congratulations on an awesome deer, with an awesome deer cartridge.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,290
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.