Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks for those kind words, BSA.

I did wrestle with mounting scopes on that one. Signature off set inserts saved the day. I had never used them before.

They’re impressive.

I thought of having different QD set ups for all the kinda loads you can do with the .358W. But after all the trouble to get here, I’m off of that idea, sticking with the 178 Shock Hammer/RL-7 load. I have too many rifles to do other stuff.

This one’s does a job on WT’s and hogs. Will keep it there.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/21/23.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Thirty years ago I sent a shot out .30-06 standard weight M/70 to Randall Redman for him to rebore to .35 Whelen. It is a great shooter and has been my whitetail rifle ever since being rebored, it shoots everything very well, cast, jacketed and pistol bullets.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Thirty years ago I sent a shot out .30-06 standard weight M/70 to Randall Redman for him to rebore to .35 Whelen. It is a great shooter and has been my whitetail rifle ever since being rebored, it shoots everything very well, cast, jacketed and pistol bullets.
I planned to have dedicated QD scopes for each category of loads for my .358 Win.

How do you handle the different Whelen loads you mention? Do you re-sight your scope every time you shoot a different type load? POI is gonna be different, lead or jacketed pistol bullets vs. full house hunting loads.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I planned to have dedicated QD scopes for each category of loads for my .358 Win.

How do you handle the different Whelen loads you mention? Do you re-sight your scope every time you shoot a different type load? POI is gonna be different, lead or jacketed pistol bullets vs. full house hunting loads.

DF

I'm not gunwizard, but I'd like to comment on this re-zeroing issue. Some of you guys know to dial to the bullet hole, some of you don't, but it's a very good practice and technique to learn. You can be dialed in with just a couple shots. Something to be considered here, when switching from load to load. My buddy who is a SWAT member didn't even know how to do this, so don't feel bad if you don't. But also, don't be afraid to learn this method. You'll waste less components and time and thank me later...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

DF

I'm not gunwizard, but I'd like to comment on this re-zeroing issue. Some of you guys know to dial to the bullet hole, some of you don't, but it's a very good practice and technique to learn. You can be dialed in with just a couple shots. Something to be considered here, when switching from load to load. My buddy who is a SWAT member didn't even know how to do this, so don't feel bad if you don't. But also, don't be afraid to learn this method. You'll waste less components and time and thank me later...
I learned from my .50 cal bud. It works well and, as you say, is pretty fast when you know how.

I was wanting dedicated QD scopes so I wouldn’t have to change zero. Lazy, I guess. But that method works.

DF

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

DF

I learned from my .50 cal bud. It works well and, as you say, is pretty fast when you know how.

I was wanting dedicated QD scopes so I wouldn’t have to change zero. Lazy, I guess. But that method works.

DF

Excellent!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

403 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 46 invisible), 3,423 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,576
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.