Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I use an Ultrasonic Cleaner to clean small batches of brass. Does a great job!

I have several 1000 pieces of 9mm brass that needs to be cleaned. Don't want to spent ALL day doing it.

Looking at wet tumbler that uses the stainless pins.

Any comments - pro or con?

Thanks, GB

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Other than the extra effort required in stainless tumbling, there's really no downside for handgun loading. There's no real need to get brass that clean, but if you want it you can get it. You might want to check out the capacity of any wet tumbler you're considering before you buy, though. You may not think it's worth the trouble when you see the capacity limitations.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
SS pins are a PITA they get stuck in the primer pockets and they'll wear out the lining of your tumbler. I tumble in hot water, Dawn dish detergent and Lemi-shine. A squirt of Dawn and a shake of Lemi-shine, doesn't take much of either to get your brass nice and clean.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by gunswizard
SS pins are a PITA they get stuck in the primer pockets and they'll wear out the lining of your tumbler. I tumble in hot water, Dawn dish detergent and Lemi-shine. A squirt of Dawn and a shake of Lemi-shine, doesn't take much of either to get your brass nice and clean.

The Frankford Arsenal Tumbler I am looking at comes with pins. Good to know I can get good results without using them. Thanks

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Dawn or Palmolive, (Palmolive is less adhesive and washes out easier) then add vinegar with water. You can use Lemishine but vinegar works just as well and is one less ingredient to buy, also lemishine can have a bit of inhalation hazard. You can use pins but it’s not important. If the drum isn’t full, I put the brass in one of those mesh laundry bags.

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I agree you will get clean brass without the pins. The pins will get the inside of the cases really clean which may be too much of a good thing. Biggest PITA is drying them afterwards.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Futura
I agree you will get clean brass without the pins. The pins will get the inside of the cases really clean which may be too much of a good thing. Biggest PITA is drying them afterwards.

Futura,

One of the better investments I have made was a Lyman Case Dryer. I caught one on sale 2 years ago. I can dry 500 9mm cases in an hour.

Thanks for your input.

GB

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you have an air compressor, the attachment that blows air out the end works great for drying cases.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by Futura

Futura,

One of the better investments I have made was a Lyman Case Dryer. I caught one on sale 2 years ago. I can dry 500 9mm cases in an hour.

Thanks for your input.

GB

Just checked those out. Gonna see if I can get one on a Black Friday sale. Those look big and sturdy. I’ve been using a flimsy old food dehydrator that isn’t very big.

Thanks

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by gunswizard
never stuck a pin and a primer hole ever and I've used them for years.

but then again I done my research and bought certain size pins to prevent this..

Last edited by ldholton; 11/22/23.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have been wet tumbling for a few years now. Never had pins stick in the primer pockets or cases for that matter. I have been using the RCBS tumbler along with the RCBS separator. The tumbler itself will do a thousand 9 mm cases, but I broke a handle off the separator when separating out the pins with that batch.

Lay out the cases on a towel to remove most of the water, then dry in a dehydrator.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had pins jam up in flash holes since day one...maybe 1 in 200 cases. I have not replaced the pins with a different size because it's not that hard to get them out and it forces me to look a little closer at my brass as I process it.

One complaint I have about wet tumbling---and I never think of it when I respond to questions---is drying the brass. I've put a brass dryer on my Christmas wishlist. A rotary tumbler is a real convenience and so is the "switchable" magnet device.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I stack my washed brass leaning up against a wall with the primer pocket up, put an old towel down first and then I use a hair dryer blowing down from the top on high, only takes a little time going back and forth and they get nice and warm and dry.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
a note about drying the brass, I always dried it in the oven for years. and here 6 months or a year ago when I bought a bunch of reloading stuff from an individual there was a Frankford arsenal brass dryer in it. I kind of figured it was something I just resell but the thing actually works much better than expected. it's not going anywhere.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool, a food dehydrator for cartridge brass.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by MickinColo
Cool, a food dehydrator for cartridge brass.
not quite similar but not quite thermostatically controlled to where you want it and lot more fan then I've ever seen on any food dehydrator..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton
[
never stuck a pin and a primer hole ever and I've used them for years.

but then again I done my research and bought certain size pins to prevent this..

I didn't know that there were any different sized pins available. I use a 1/8 pellet that does okay and doesn't get stuck in anything.
I would rather use the pins but they have a tendency to bounce everywhere and are a pain to clean up.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
I would rather use the pins but they have a tendency to bounce everywhere and are a pain to clean up.

A magnet helps with clean up.

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I take as much pride in my reloads looking better than factory, as I do in their accuracy and performance.

I use a Frankford wet tumbler with pins, Dawn and Lemi Shine. I use the magnet to separate the pins. All easy to this point.

The PIA comes in the drying process. I dump them in a big bath towel first, then use the wife's blow dryer on high while rolling them around. Then they go into loading blocks, head high, and dried again. Then flipped to neck high and dried one last time. After that. I inspect every case with a flashlight for stuck pins.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used water a long time ago cleaning cleaning cases for high power rifle comp. A friend and I used a small cement mixer with just water and some soap. Dried them on screen doors. We prepped a majority of a seasons worth of brass at once, Usually a quick run with dry media before resize/power trim then run with water and soap to get rid of lube and sorta deburr at the same time. The process changed as we updated power trim and primer pocket crimp removal methods. Jerry Miculek had a you tube vid with a similar process.

Presently I don't shoot much rifle but a fair amount of hand guns and I have no water in my shop so dry vibratory is my personal preference. Its fast, maybe not as safe but I can run mine outside or under equipment shelter. Run a fan behind you when using the separator.

Just replaced a dead vibratory I bought in the 80's with a Berry's. That unit is very nice, less noise and its very quick.

Good luck with whatever you go with.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (22kHornet, 204guy, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 61 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,602
Posts18,492,280
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.