Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Writing this post will probably take longer than getting an answer to my question about which bullet in my 6.5 CM is recommended in the situation(s) below.

If you’re hunting/killing range is no more than 150 yards on anything from a coyote to a deer. And I have these bullets available to use. Give me your opinion on which one you’d hunt.

Also, of the 3 bullets, which bullet you’d prefer, if shooting a deer sized animal up to 500ish yards.

Thanks.

Hornady 129 gr SST

Hornady 143 gr Eld-x

Barnes 130 gr. TSX

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Which ever is most accurate although I can't see you going wrong with any of them.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Mark, I hope you are well.

For the 150 and in, I would choose the 129 SST.

For the up to 500 I would choose the 143 ELD-X.

So as not to be bested by others who can't read the choices, "I wouldn't select any of those, I would choose "X"". Hey, I just wanted to play along. Happy Thanksgiving my friend.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Up to deer and 150 yards? Which one is cheapest?

Up to 500 yards? Which one groups most consistently?

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

So as not to be bested by others who can't read the choices, "I wouldn't select any of those, I would choose "X"". Hey, I just wanted to play along. Happy Thanksgiving my friend.

Laffin.

Thanks, brother for the insight and choices.

You and the fam have a great Thanksgiving and Christmas!

🦫

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

LOL!

Cranky Baby Boom Answer: 140 Partition. Everyone knows if you're going to stoop so low as to use a 6.5 CM rather than a 6.5x55, you should at least use a bullet that has worked since the 1940's!

Happy Thanksgiving!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Which ever is most accurate although I can't see you going wrong with any of them.

129 SST and 143 eldx are gtg for accuracy. I haven’t tried the 130gr TSX yet.

I was, still am, a smidge concerned about the Barnes TSX at closer ranges. It’s a stout bullet from what I remember when I use to hunt them for elk out of 30-378. My thinking is at something close in yardage - the TSX will pass thru without much internal destruction.

Again, I could be all kinds of wrong on that line of thinking. For reference. I’ve killed very few game sized animals at muzzle sucking distances. So, I’m not drawing from much personal experience.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I like the 143 gr. ELD-X of the three mentioned

and the 130 Accubond, not mentioned.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad

LOL!

Cranky Baby Boom Answer: 140 Partition. Everyone knows if you're going to stoop so low as to use a 6.5 CM rather than a 6.5x55, you should at least use a bullet that has worked since the 1940's!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Brad,

Some things have continued to thrive over the years, like the ‘Partition’. It’s just too bad, our bodies haven’t kept thriving the same way over the years.

Sadly, I admit to buying a couple Hipster Creeds in 6.5, but I did wait 10 years after they hyped everyone wearing skinny jeans before I tossed cash on the counter.

I should’ve bought a 257 Bob.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by geedubya
I like the 143 gr. ELD-X of the three mentioned

and the 130 Accubond, not mentioned.

ya!

GWB

GWB,

I’m a Abond slut, almost exclusively out of every rifle I use for freezer filling. This little side show rifle is just a multipurpose rig for around the property.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Any will do the trick. My wife uses Hornady 129 gr in her 6.5 Creedmoor . Nothing has gone very far. I think she has shot 6 whitetails with it. Last one was about 175 yards.

Upon further thought my buddy has shot a couple with his Creedmoor and had no complaints. None of the deer had any comments.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sounds good. Thx.

I will try them all on paper, then decide.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Brad

LOL!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Brad,

Some things have continued to thrive over the years, like the ‘Partition’. It’s just too bad, our bodies haven’t kept thriving the same way over the years.

Sadly, I admit to buying a couple Hipster Creeds in 6.5, but I did wait 10 years after they hyped everyone wearing skinny jeans before I tossed cash on the counter.

I should’ve bought a 257 Bob.

🦫

Of course my post is in jest. While I'm a baby boomer, I'm not lost in the mists of time. Personally, I love the 6.5 CM and have two of them. What little hunting I'll do the rest of my life can be easily handled by it, with or without Partitions lol.

PS, I doubt you could make a bad choice with the three you mention, but I wonder whether the TSX would make the least mess of coyote pelts and deer meat?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The 143 out of those you listed would be my choice Beav.

It’s been pretty great on deer for us back here. Never have shot an elk or seen one with the CM, but I’m imagine it’s not too much to ask for the little fella!

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Puddle
Up to deer and 150 yards? Which one is cheapest?

Up to 500 yards? Which one groups most consistently?

This is a good answer.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't had reason to run anything but 140 Amax's thru all my creeds. 200 and in, thru the boiler room. Past 200 crush bone.....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
143 ELDX has worked for big hogs for me through the shields.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If it's close range and varied shot angles, on something I'll eat, I'll take the TSX (I prefer the 127 LRX for this kind of work).

Longer shots or if I'm not eating it, then the 143 ELD-X (I prefer the 147 ELD-M for this kind of work).

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I haven't had reason to run anything but 140 Amax's thru all my creeds. 200 and in, thru the boiler room. Past 200 crush bone.....

I’ve got a pile of 123gr Scenar bullets. Don, what’s your thoughts on them for this specific use?

Originally Posted by beretzs
The 143 out of those you listed would be my choice Beav.

It’s been pretty great on deer for us back here. Never have shot an elk or seen one with the CM, but I’m imagine it’s not too much to ask for the little fella!

Scotty, the main bullet I’ve used in my older 6.5 CM, is the 143 eldx. No complaints. Accuracy has been excellent!

Today, I picked up that Fierce Carbon Mini Rogue rifle for the UTV and property. Being that I’ve got a few bullet options I can try, and since I’m lacking in first hand experience killing at close distances with each of these bullets. I’m hoping to minimize the disappointment I might have on things not dying quickly, or having a lot of meat damage that shouldn’t have happened with good shot placement

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
If it's close range and varied shot angles, on something I'll eat, I'll take the TSX (I prefer the 127 LRX for this kind of work).

Longer shots or if I'm not eating it, then the 143 ELD-X (I prefer the 147 ELD-M for this kind of work).

Hey Jordan, I’ll ask you the same question, I asked Don. What’s your thoughts on the 123gr Scenars for my situation?
I was a smidge reluctant to use the Barnes TSX out of fear of them just passing through at close ranges. Then, Mr. Buck takes off and into the deep, thick, and hateful brush to die on me.
Head shooting my table meat hasn’t been something I’ve naturally been drawn to do. Lower neck, sure. But braining, not unless it’s varmints.

Here’s the Fierce Carbon Mini Rogue. It’s basically advertised as a youth/chic rifle. It came with several shims that will get the LOP close to 13.5. I guess guys are buying them up as their mountain rifle, due to it being extremely light, and having a 20” or 22” barrel.

Forgive the Leupold VXi 4.5-14x40 CDS. It’s been sitting in a dust covered box for a few years and needs to be broke. I meant broken in. Grins.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Happy Thanksgiving, to all of you. I appreciate your help.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Near and far, why not just use a "heavy for caliber" c&c, like the 147 ELD-M??? Love that bullet. It's noticeably better in the wind for those long shots and holds together better than a 140 or 143 for close shots.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Last week at Scheels^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (160user, 1minute, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,348
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.