Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The same question that has been posted before by others. If someone can tell me how to attach pics will be happy to do that as well. It keeps saying that the attachment is to large. Any how...

The dilemma rug about 3K/full body 10K. OK not a small chunk either way but obviously a full body is more than 3X a rug. However, I probably won't ever go brown bear hunting ever again, just because I have always tried to eat what I kill as opposed to trophy hunt and there are plenty of other critters to go after.

Have room for a rug on a high wall but could make room for a full body mount. Wife would be happier with the rug high up because she is also a eat what you kill kind of girl and really was not thrilled with me going bear hunting in the first place. Then again, probably never go after a bear again.

It was late on our last night of a 10 day hunt before I ever got my eyes on one, this one, I would have sworn it wasn't going to happen but it did at the last minute and once we skinned it it was pitch black dark. No idea on weight or size but I believe it was/is a respectable bear but not a B&C bear. Love the color and the hide is unbelievably soft.

What sayeth the heard?[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by 30_06Hunter; 11/22/23. Reason: Add image links
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would much prefer a rug personally, just my taste.

When I lived in Alaska every year I would shoot a bear and take it to be tanned. Pick it up from the tannery and inquire with a taxidermist about getting a rug made. Get a price and decide I could fly out for another possibly bigger bear for that kind of money and end up saving the rug money for the next air taxi. I have a huge box full of tanned bear hides and a couple hanging from pegs on the wall but still no rug. 🤷🏼‍♂️

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a rug on my wall and am very happy with it. Don't know what I'd do with a mount, but I'm a poor guy in a little house, so take it for what it's worth.

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rug all the way for me personally.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
A mount takes up a lot of space even in a big room. A couple of friends have full body mount browns and they tend to dominate the room even though the room they are in are large.
Then there is also the possibility that your vision of the mount and the taxidermist vision is not the same and you end up with a 10K mount that you are looking at everyday and don't like . The hide on a wall for me.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Rugs for me too, and not just with bears.
I am having a boar griz rugged right now and have two other hides tanned, just hanging on the wall. Rugs are cheaper, easier to clean, easier to put up in a closet somewhere if need be, etc. I like looking at full mounts in Cabelas and Scheels, but they just aren't for me.

That said, it sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into a full body mount and if so, you'll always regret not doing so.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Figured out how to attach the pics.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cant see the sides or pits but I would say rug 100%. Thats a beautiful bear .

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
SSS

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No doubt in my mind, rug

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Assuming I am successful next year on brown bear I will do a half body mount similar to this though with closed mouth.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Beautiful bear. I'm a rug guy, too. Wall space is easier to give up than floor area, and if you're married, even that can be a fight. One black bear, one brown bear, and a moose rack was all I could manage. All the other antlers went outside. That left lots of room for native, Russian, American, and religious art and knick knacks. At least she dusts it all...........

NRA Life Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got tired of tripping over bear rugs and watching kids try to pull the claws. When my nieces dog tried to piss on it, I gave up and shipped to another niece that wanted one.

My advice FWIW: Get the hide tanned first and inspect as tanneries can and do screw up. Hang it by the nose on a wall where it takes little room, looks nice and cost is minimal.
Hang a black bear beside it and then a nice wolf hide etc and use the saved $$$$ for another hunt.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another vote for a rug

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You ever try having sex on a full-body-mount bear? smile

I'm with you on shoot and eat. 55 years up here, with little desire to shoot a brown/griz, so I never have, nor has one forced the issue enough. I'd rather watch them- just not too close! There's been a few of those.

If I saw one like yours, tho, that "little" might get bigger. Beautiful bear! Or a silver-tip.

Similarly, I've shot a few blacks for meat. There are two, maybe 3, I'd take for hide color alone- a deep auburn, or a glacier. And eat them.

Congratulations .

Last edited by las; 11/23/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
You ever try having sex on a full-body-mount bear?

LOL

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by VernAK
I got tired of tripping over bear rugs and watching kids try to pull the claws. When my nieces dog tried to piss on it, I gave up and shipped to another niece that wanted one.

My advice FWIW: Get the hide tanned first and inspect as tanneries can and do screw up. Hang it by the nose on a wall where it takes little room, looks nice and cost is minimal.
Hang a black bear beside it and then a nice wolf hide etc and use the saved $$$$ for another hunt.
Ditto

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What Vern said or.....sell the hide. You have lots of pictures. Money for another hunt, for something you can eat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good looking bear. I'd go for a rug too. Even a 400 pound black bear takes a lot of floor space
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Money certainly isn't everything. If it was a once in a lifetime for me and I wanted to look at it everyday for the rest of my life I would have the mount done. If it isn't a big deal with you and your memories have a rug done and go hut another one.

OOPS just saw the pictures. Life size for me. You can make more money but you can't buy the experience that bear brought you.

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 11/23/23.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Congrats. Damn Nice Bear. Really can't go wrong either way. Go with your gut.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Seems some have lost the fact that some posters are not Alaskan citizens and are likely doing a once in a lifetime trip. They will not be tripping over rugs I suspect.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Beautiful color phase. I think I would go with a rug

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
p.s. The rug on my wall is from a black bear that was eating apples in abandoned orchards on NY State Forest. Non-hunters volunteered that the bone-in hindquarter steaks were among the best they'd ever eaten.

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is one beautiful bear!!! Think I would rug it myself. Congrats!!

Do or do not, there is no try.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don’t think rugs do a bear (or wolf or lion) justice. So if I really wanted the best option for enjoying the trophy it’d be a full mount. But that is only if I was willing to pay big money for someone who was REALLY good at mounting predators.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
"The cook likes to not reveal what's for supper so that the praises after will be louder."

No suggestions on what you should do with it. You probably know the answer already. I do however want to say that this is a beautiful bear and (rightfully so) you should be proud to have been successful in such a fashion! What firearm was used sir?

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Beautiful bear. Congrats!

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If I got a 10 footer I'd do a full standing mount (it could replace our Christmas Tree). My almost 9 footer turned into a nice rug.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by colorado
If I got a 10 footer I'd do a full standing mount (it could replace our Christmas Tree)........

That's a pretty impressive 10' cat there.

NRA Life Endowment Member
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks. That's Archer my 24 lb Maine Coon Cat smile

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 30_06Hunter
[Linked Image]

That’s a beautiful bear!

Rug or full body mount would look great either way. I’d really hate dropping 10k on the full body mount, but dang that would look so cool. Once in a lifetime hunt and bear.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Huntster
Originally Posted by colorado
If I got a 10 footer I'd do a full standing mount (it could replace our Christmas Tree)........

That's a pretty impressive 10' cat there.
Mounts in front of windows are destroyed by UV very quickly.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If it was a once in a lifetime, and If I had the room and the money to spare, I'd go full mount.

That is a beautiful bear.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

P
P
Don't know where you live, but I have a full mount Grizzly and a bighorn sheep. Didn't pay half that much for either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
50+ years ago I shot my first black bear and (lacking $ and space) I had him mounted as a rug. A couple of years ago I shot my first Brown bear and I had him full mounted. There is absolutely no comparison between the two. I would definately go with a full mount!

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Used my 338 Win Mag. So far one Elk, One Moose and One Bear with it.

I am going to make a final determination once it reaches the tanner. However, looking at locations to place rug v. mount I believe a rug is the better option for me, not to mention the cost savings.

We have kids and dogs, if I hang it high on the wall where I DO have a place to put it it should be out of harms way for the most part.

A mount would be cool but I just can't find a location where it would be safe from claws, spills and other issues.

If it were a 9 or 10 ft'er I might have gone the other direction but I believe it won't come close to that measure. We didn't get to measure him do to the time of day I got him and I will see what the tanner says, but I feel like he was a good representative size bear for Unit 9B of Alaska but not a giant.

He's going to make a beautiful wall rug and should be preserved for my grandkids when that time comes.

Any how, thanks to all who gave valuable insight!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by las

Hope you left evidence. Or maybe that's not what the reg means when it says leave evidence of sex on the hide?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I shot my once in a lifetime Grizzly (skull was 27 9/16 and an honest 9 1/2 footer) back in 99. I did a life size mount standing on a half life sized Caribou. It's an impressive mount an IMHO doesn't take up as much space as a rug.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I shot my once in a lifetime Grizzly (skull was 27 9/16 and an honest 9 1/2 footer) back in 99. I did a life size mount standing on a half life sized Caribou. It's an impressive mount an IMHO doesn't take up as much space as a rug.

Bear skins are harder to hang than most realize...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by GSPfan

Congrats! A bear like that deserves a life size standing mount!

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm not sure what I would do if I ever shot one. That I could keep. LOL.

FWIW a BIG brown bear life-size is really impressive you have the room. Cost of the mount isn't an issue if you are hunting brown bears.

I think it would be nice either way. Lots of variables on your end that we can't know. Room for mount. Wife. Kids. Opinions. Etc... Basically I would do what I wanted and not let others sway. But some of the comments about tripping, Room etc...once in a lifetime and so on are good info to think about

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
A standing mount like the one immediately above would show off the blonde pelt better than a mount with it standing on its hind legs. Tough decision but it’s nice to have that decision to make.…😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Get a rug made from the hide and have the skull cleaned. Those two items will be a good representation of the bear you shot.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by NMiller
Originally Posted by las

Hope you left evidence. Or maybe that's not what the reg means when it says leave evidence of sex on the hide?

Underrated comment. I don't have anything funny to add, but it made me laugh.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would do a rug. Can see the whole bear that way.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Beautiful bear! I don’t know what a full mount runs but I think it would be worth it to have that big carnivore mounted in your man cave since you aren’t going to do it again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NMiller
Originally Posted by las

That's only legit if the bear in question was taken while it was wearing a blue dress.

[Linked Image from news.artnet.com]

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Congratulations on a successful hunt and beautiful bear. I would pick the middle option, a shoulder mount.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by aalf
All this pic needs is a cigar in the bear's mouth. Look at that smile! wink

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 222ND, 2500HD, 2003and2013, 257 mag, 163bc, 60 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,788
Posts18,477,275
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.