Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
What sounds are you have success with now? Called some Prime country today with no luck. Watched a few just laying out in the sage 1200 yards out watching but did not even try to come in. Its been warm and the ground is not froze yet. Any thoughts?

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
In most years, at this time of year, I'd say a guy could play his favorite prey distress and have good success, but for some reason around my stomping grounds it seems pup distress in various flavors is working much better. I'm using Lucky Duck and the Lucky Duck sounds.

I've also howled a few in also, most of which came without vocally responding first

We had a very wet summer so I'm guessing that the food source is good as well, giving the coyotes plenty of food for now

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks TR, that is the same caller I am using. It is definitely different out there this year. Our deer numbers are extremely low, drought , bad winter and disease have taken a serious toll. Small game numbers are very low too.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Been very hit and miss this year for me also one day they come screaming in to prey distress and the next they love some pup distress. Its been a warm and wet here this year so I'm hoping when the weather changes they will get a little more consistent. Just keep trying different sounds and stick with it till it stops working

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
1200 yards with no interest? Cause they didn't hear your caller or hand call, simple as that. What sounds to use? Use same sounds you use all year long, nothing has changed.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
So TA, are you saying the only reason a coyote doesn't come to the call is because it can't hear the call?

Because it that's what you're saying, you're full of chit.

Plenty of coyotes hear a call and don't come, for whatever reason. Hell, I had one that wouldn't come to the call and it was only 320 yards from me. It stood up out of its bed and would listen and lay right back down. Change sounds and it would get up and listen and then lay right back down. Did that about 4 times before I decided to just shoot it.

Been several times that I could see a coyote that wouldn't come to the call, and sure as h e LL could hear the calling.

If you haven't seen that then you really should carry binos, because you're missing even seeing the coyotes around you.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
TRnCO, Knows what he is talking about, get some good Bino's and start looking around you will be surprised at whats going on out there you not seeing. Rio7

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
The elk calf or better fawn distress call is working well in MT at this time as always. Wet summer and lots of small game feathered and furred gets them a bit interested in something larger.

As winter comes on deeper they get a lot happier with anything they can get.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Not talking about your coyote TRN but the guy who posted. Pretty tough for a coyote mile away hear a distress sound even out of the best e-caller so doubt his heard it. As for not being interested well you just didn't trip one of the triggers or something wasn't right. wasn't there is either case so all a guy can do is guess but on another note, you got coyotes locking up on you its for a reason, up to you figure it out or yeah just shoot. LOL I've called coyotes year-round on same sounds it doesn't matter long as it trips one of the triggers. Coyotes body langue tells a story, pay attention if you can see them, it's not rocket science. I spent a winter calling frozen river coyotes at and more than a mile, if there little wind they not going to hear most of the E-callers period. Rough ground, thick cover reduces sound and then toss in a little wind they don't always hear if sound not getting to them as sound travels just like water. Piss poor e-caller piss poor results so don't buy cheap.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Coyotes feed on rabbits and mice year-round but will go to a vegie diet at times over spring and into summer and then switch back to meat, just depends on what's there to eat, with that being said they still going to come to most any sound they like that interests them it's not yearly specific. Only time I'm careful on sounds is when using coyote vocals, in late fall early winter as Yoy not sure of themselves unless they still packed up with litter mates.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
One more thing if I may. Coyotes don't always freak out and run when they hear a noise, like a truck or a door being closed ect. they hear that stuff all the time in most areas. They still stick around but in callers case they not going to travel in that direction and yes just sit and ignore you, that's why its still alive in first place using little caution. Few years back got my first thermal and drove into area i was going to call at end of a T-road with the plan of walking out into some crp grass. I parked truck and waited 15 minutes before I got out and then got out and scanned area with thermal and had a YOY coyote just loafing around less than 100 yards from me, didn't act like I was there and I shot dam thing, game over. One mile block sections here so coyotes hear traffic all the time and yeah if they hear something they don't like many don't run off. They just sit and listen or lay down in the grass and wait. does not hurt to wait as well before calling if you want to fool them. Sometimes just have to walk into another direction and then into a stand location and call making sure you far enough away from direction you came in from, not rocket science. good luck!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It's been a while since I did much mathematics, but last I checked 1200 yards isn't a mile and most good ecalls will cast prey distress sounds that far, except in heavy winds, rough terrain, and heavy vegetation.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I did the math. LOL only 3 callers come to mind, was the member that started post using one of them?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Well, re-do the math, this time use a calculator

I can think twice that many calls that will reach 1200 yards under the conditions I said above

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Most of them up for sale why is that? LOL

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
TA 17 Rem, How many Coyotes did you kill last year ?? I'll bet very few. Rio7

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Scorched earth here! Killed everyone I saw. LOL How many did you miss last year from poor shots or poor calling? Life of a coyote in southern Minnesota is 3 years what is it for you part of country?

Last edited by TA 17 Rem; 11/27/23. Reason: to add.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
'ol TA is the one guy that hasn't found a coyote that he couldn't call in and he hasn't missed a coyote since before Jimmy Carter was president.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
They heard it no doubt, started with 2 howls and went to fawn in distress next. They answered back at the howls and that is when I spotted them. Tried the rabbit and stinky rat. They would set up and listen but not come in. Very secluded private land. Been calling for 35 years now with much success all over the west and midwest. Not a nubie to this. Just curious what others are seeing and how they are reacting to get success. Thanks guys.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Ecaller was a Revolt, I think it is louder than my rifle if pointed at you. Honestly I prefer my hand calls as I think half the time a good stand is spoiled by animals seeing you place the caller in the daylight. Called in a pair yesterday using interrogation sounds. They came in ready to fight , one died and the other made it to cover.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Why move around and place a e-caller, sit it next to you. No different than hand calling, and you don't give up your location by movement or too much scent.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Why move around and place a e-caller, sit it next to you. No different than hand calling, and you don't give up your location by movement or too much scent.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
TRN all about location, it don't come then move around and try again, there is a reason why some didn't come at first, you should of figured it out by now. I'm not a mag. dumper either I have the shot or let it walk and then come at another angle, and at times use same sounds, no big whoop. Dam you really lagging behind in this game. LOL

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
For about 20 years, I had a private duck hunting club that let me hunt coyotes on it. It was the best producing property I have ever had, and it is now owned by Colorado Parks and Wildlife, but, I now get to duck hunt on it.

Anyway, most of the time I went, usually 2-3 times a month, October thru April, I would get 2-3 coyotes each time, and this was on 710 acres.

A couple of times a year, I would get skunked, not even seeing a coyote. I'd go out again in a few days, and things would be back to normal.

When I got skunked, nothing worked, neither vocals or prey sounds, I would not even see a coyote.

The coyotes are the only ones who know why they did not come to the call THAT day, and they never told me.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Quote;A couple of times a year, I would get skunked, not even seeing a coyote. I'd go out again in a few days, and things would be back to normal. ; Unquote They did'nt hear you the first trip and happen to move back into area you was calling in or was drawn back into the area by your calling from days before. Late arrivals. LOL I called a spot just before dark with no takers, had fresh snow on the ground. The wind blew good that night and let up around 5:00 a.m. and I went out to check for tracks where I set up and found a fresh track from a coyote that came in that mourning. Had to be a 12–14-hour time difference. I got back out of the 1x2 mile section and did a drive around to see if coyote was still in section or if it left. Got to east side of section and found coyotes track going in and then just down road 50 yards found its track coming back out out. Thus the late arrival to check out my stand. The coyote most likely heard my calling day before but may have been turned back due to traffic on a paved highway and when things got quiet it decided to come check things out.

Last edited by TA 17 Rem; 11/28/23.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The wide variation of experiences we've had is extremely interesting to me, and I always like to compare notes with other successful coyote hunters.

I've talked to guys that turn on the caller and leave it run for the entire time on stand. They tell me they are successful.

My style of calling (handcalls) is 15-20 seconds of noise, then I'm quiet for 2-3 minutes, then repeat, and I am successful.

About the only thing I am certain of is, coyotes will always, always, try to approach from downwind.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
TA-1-Rem, Now that you are giving all this EXPURT advise tell us and show us the Coyotes you have killed last season. you show me yours i'll show you mine. Rio7

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Quote; About the only thing I am certain of is, coyotes will always, always, try to approach from downwind: Unquote Sure if you give them a reason too, they will. YOY coyote unsure of itself and the sound you are using, same for some older coyotes unsure of themselves, over aggressive sounds will cause a coyote to go down wind so it can smell what's there or see. I prefer to use sounds that get them excited then they tend to ignore caution and charge right in. Set up so travel to you is much easier, use a cut bank for example or fence line. Depends on area but some will come to 200 yards before they try to go down wind, should be dead at this point if set up right.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Been calling, hunting coyotes for over 30 years, I don't have to show or prove anything to you.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
k22hornet, I almost agree with you, but I have had Coyotes come from up wind and never see me and hit me more than once. Rio7

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
TA 17 Rem, You just a beginner, I'm 85 been calling sense I was 14 years old last year my score was 332 Coyotes and 63 Bobcats, not bad for a old man and i can show pictures of most of them I think you have let your Alligator mouth over load your Canary Ass Hole. Rio7

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You only call hunt in Texas behind locked gates so what do you know?? LMAO.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by RIO7
k22hornet, I almost agree with you, but I have had Coyotes come from up wind and never see me and hit me more than once. Rio7

'Almost agree with you', lol, those are better odds than my wife agreeing with me!

I have had them come to me with the wind at their tail a few times as well, just not often. They start out upwind, and as they get closer, they swing out to try and get downwind. I like to bark at them to get them to stop, before they hit my downwind scent cone.

I do tend to hunt very open areas, and guys that hunt tight cover might have different experiences.

I had the opportunity to laser a coyote coming in from dead downwind of me. I put my laser on scan, picked him up at about 775yds and lasered him on the approach. At 491yds, this coyote jumped into the sage and took off.

Fascinating animals!

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
TA 17 Rem, I do call a lot of private land with permission, Texas is mostly private land but i am not the only one calling Coyotes in Texas on private land. Enough excuses put up or shut up. Rio7

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
But how many call on same ranch as you, and yes I seen some of your pictures of single kills mostly which tells a lot, also in pictures you put up how many was trapped before you laid rifle on them for hero shot?

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I don't call or hunt Texas and you don't call anywhere else, so my numbers are unimportant.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
And since you only call Texas your skills are limited, miss one just go find another. LOL

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
you or anyone else send me your cell number in a text and I'll get you some pictures. LOL

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
TA, You sound like Biden Voter To Me. Rio7

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
getting little personal aren't we?

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
This is funny. In news today it was reported that Texas being overrun by hogs and coyotes. Would think if Texas had any good hunters, they would keep numbers in check. Daytime callers, night rigg hunters and helicopters and they still struggle. LOL

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Ok, this topic turned to a schitt show in a hurry. I was only interested in what sounds others were having success with.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by TA 17 Rem
This is funny. In news today it was reported that Texas being overrun by hogs and coyotes. Would think if Texas had any good hunters, they would keep numbers in check. Daytime callers, night rigg hunters and helicopters and they still struggle. LOL

Texas is about 9 times bigger than S.C. so there is a lot more area for the animals to go. Most of the coyotes in S.C. are concentrated in to a smaller area. It's a lot more work to hunt a place as big as Texas compared to a relatively smaller state like S.C.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I will be proud if I can walk to my pick up and open the door when I am 85 ! Way to go rio7

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Verns, Some day's i'm pretty slow but i get there, TA, there's a lot of food for coyotes in S.Texas they do well here as do Pigs, both of which i'm thankful for, hunting them keeps me out of the Whore Houses and Bars. Rio7

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Quote; both of which i'm thankful for, hunting them keeps me out of the Whore Houses and Bars. Rio7: Unquote

Sure I agree. You started hunting them at age 12? What year was that?

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
TA, Go back and read what I posted again I said 14 years old 1951- 1952. Rio7

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
1952? Wow! must of started calling with a rusty door hinge.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
TA,

No Rusty hinges, just Grass hand calls, and hunting over bait mostly Deer and Elk gut lolly pops, fun way to kill Coyotes. Rio7

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
gut lolly pops???

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
TA,

Yes gut lolly pops? take a 5 gallon milk pail fill it with blood and guts and water put a stick or piece of pipe in the middle let it sit out side and freeze hard take it out of the bucket gut lolly pop, hang it on a limb or fence post with baling wire about 2-3 feet above the ground Coyotes will come to it as it starts to thaw and stink. now you have learned something that works from a old timer. Rio7

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Thanks for info but no. some do same up here just different name for it. I don't hunt over bait but will call around it if coyotes feeding on it like deer or cow. Trapper/predator caller news rag had a article on how I go about it.

I also use dead carcasses for draw stations to bring coyotes in when we have snow and then put my dogs on them.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
TA, What ever works. Rio7

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Yep. its all about time, would rather go find them than wait on them, more critters for back of truck.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The sun has set, and darkness has fallen Apon us. The night comes calling for us to venture out and be hunted by ghosts of the darkness. Wind at zero and now is the time. Rules of engagement, be sure of your target, wait till the shot feels right and make it count on the first shot, no spray and pray B.S., if shot not there then let it walk for another day.

Last edited by TA 17 Rem; 12/01/23.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Been out night calling pretty steady lately. Trying out a new caller and getting bugs out of it and just trying to wear out a old E-caller. LOL First night out had 4 coyotes called in and then a couple nights with just a pair each night. Then after that weather got pretty nice so I could sit longer and called in 6 and then 7 coyotes the following night and then a triple the night after that. What sounds are working? The same sounds I always use year-round, nothing has changed for me. Thing to remember is keep the sounds non-threatening as you be dealing with pups this early in season and if you bring in a older pair adjust your sounds accordingly to what they can handle, always try to sound like the underdog and only get really aggressive if a coyote calls for it. Its not that hard. LOL

Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
RIO7 you are my new hero. I bought my first call in 1974 or 75 at 14.
Just retired and hunting now more than ever. Currently watching my 90 year old father-in-law die in a nursing home. Got my wife set up with the ap on her phone so she can see where I am when hunting. Told her I do not want to die in a nursing home but instead out coyote hunting. Hopefully I will still be hunting when I'm 85. I'm happy for you!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

362 members (1eyedmule, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 34 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,117
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.