Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
What sounds are you have success with now? Called some Prime country today with no luck. Watched a few just laying out in the sage 1200 yards out watching but did not even try to come in. Its been warm and the ground is not froze yet. Any thoughts?

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
In most years, at this time of year, I'd say a guy could play his favorite prey distress and have good success, but for some reason around my stomping grounds it seems pup distress in various flavors is working much better. I'm using Lucky Duck and the Lucky Duck sounds.

I've also howled a few in also, most of which came without vocally responding first

We had a very wet summer so I'm guessing that the food source is good as well, giving the coyotes plenty of food for now

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks TR, that is the same caller I am using. It is definitely different out there this year. Our deer numbers are extremely low, drought , bad winter and disease have taken a serious toll. Small game numbers are very low too.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Been very hit and miss this year for me also one day they come screaming in to prey distress and the next they love some pup distress. Its been a warm and wet here this year so I'm hoping when the weather changes they will get a little more consistent. Just keep trying different sounds and stick with it till it stops working

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
1200 yards with no interest? Cause they didn't hear your caller or hand call, simple as that. What sounds to use? Use same sounds you use all year long, nothing has changed.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
So TA, are you saying the only reason a coyote doesn't come to the call is because it can't hear the call?

Because it that's what you're saying, you're full of chit.

Plenty of coyotes hear a call and don't come, for whatever reason. Hell, I had one that wouldn't come to the call and it was only 320 yards from me. It stood up out of its bed and would listen and lay right back down. Change sounds and it would get up and listen and then lay right back down. Did that about 4 times before I decided to just shoot it.

Been several times that I could see a coyote that wouldn't come to the call, and sure as h e LL could hear the calling.

If you haven't seen that then you really should carry binos, because you're missing even seeing the coyotes around you.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
TRnCO, Knows what he is talking about, get some good Bino's and start looking around you will be surprised at whats going on out there you not seeing. Rio7

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The elk calf or better fawn distress call is working well in MT at this time as always. Wet summer and lots of small game feathered and furred gets them a bit interested in something larger.

As winter comes on deeper they get a lot happier with anything they can get.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Not talking about your coyote TRN but the guy who posted. Pretty tough for a coyote mile away hear a distress sound even out of the best e-caller so doubt his heard it. As for not being interested well you just didn't trip one of the triggers or something wasn't right. wasn't there is either case so all a guy can do is guess but on another note, you got coyotes locking up on you its for a reason, up to you figure it out or yeah just shoot. LOL I've called coyotes year-round on same sounds it doesn't matter long as it trips one of the triggers. Coyotes body langue tells a story, pay attention if you can see them, it's not rocket science. I spent a winter calling frozen river coyotes at and more than a mile, if there little wind they not going to hear most of the E-callers period. Rough ground, thick cover reduces sound and then toss in a little wind they don't always hear if sound not getting to them as sound travels just like water. Piss poor e-caller piss poor results so don't buy cheap.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Coyotes feed on rabbits and mice year-round but will go to a vegie diet at times over spring and into summer and then switch back to meat, just depends on what's there to eat, with that being said they still going to come to most any sound they like that interests them it's not yearly specific. Only time I'm careful on sounds is when using coyote vocals, in late fall early winter as Yoy not sure of themselves unless they still packed up with litter mates.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
One more thing if I may. Coyotes don't always freak out and run when they hear a noise, like a truck or a door being closed ect. they hear that stuff all the time in most areas. They still stick around but in callers case they not going to travel in that direction and yes just sit and ignore you, that's why its still alive in first place using little caution. Few years back got my first thermal and drove into area i was going to call at end of a T-road with the plan of walking out into some crp grass. I parked truck and waited 15 minutes before I got out and then got out and scanned area with thermal and had a YOY coyote just loafing around less than 100 yards from me, didn't act like I was there and I shot dam thing, game over. One mile block sections here so coyotes hear traffic all the time and yeah if they hear something they don't like many don't run off. They just sit and listen or lay down in the grass and wait. does not hurt to wait as well before calling if you want to fool them. Sometimes just have to walk into another direction and then into a stand location and call making sure you far enough away from direction you came in from, not rocket science. good luck!

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
It's been a while since I did much mathematics, but last I checked 1200 yards isn't a mile and most good ecalls will cast prey distress sounds that far, except in heavy winds, rough terrain, and heavy vegetation.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I did the math. LOL only 3 callers come to mind, was the member that started post using one of them?

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Well, re-do the math, this time use a calculator

I can think twice that many calls that will reach 1200 yards under the conditions I said above

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Most of them up for sale why is that? LOL

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
TA 17 Rem, How many Coyotes did you kill last year ?? I'll bet very few. Rio7

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Scorched earth here! Killed everyone I saw. LOL How many did you miss last year from poor shots or poor calling? Life of a coyote in southern Minnesota is 3 years what is it for you part of country?

Last edited by TA 17 Rem; 11/27/23. Reason: to add.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
'ol TA is the one guy that hasn't found a coyote that he couldn't call in and he hasn't missed a coyote since before Jimmy Carter was president.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
They heard it no doubt, started with 2 howls and went to fawn in distress next. They answered back at the howls and that is when I spotted them. Tried the rabbit and stinky rat. They would set up and listen but not come in. Very secluded private land. Been calling for 35 years now with much success all over the west and midwest. Not a nubie to this. Just curious what others are seeing and how they are reacting to get success. Thanks guys.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Ecaller was a Revolt, I think it is louder than my rifle if pointed at you. Honestly I prefer my hand calls as I think half the time a good stand is spoiled by animals seeing you place the caller in the daylight. Called in a pair yesterday using interrogation sounds. They came in ready to fight , one died and the other made it to cover.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,461 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,681
Posts18,493,892
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.