Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've never had a cerekoted rifle. Without sounding too rookie(ish), what are the benefits of it over stainless?

I read Mule Deer's article and while informative, it concentrated more on how to properly apply cerekote as opposed to the benefits of it, other than providing corrosion and chemical resistance.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a factory cerekoted rifle that my brother inlaw tried shutting a tailgate on twice in the dark. Not a mark, supprised
the heck out of me.
He shut a boat hatch on a new rod tip of mine once, it didn’t fair to well
Lol

Last edited by 338reddog; 11/22/23.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I've never had a cerekoted rifle. Without sounding too rookie(ish), what are the benefits of it over stainless?

I read Mule Deer's article and while informative, it concentrated more on how to properly apply cerekote as opposed to the benefits of it, other than providing corrosion and chemical resistance.

You probably don’t gain a bunch IMO. It’s more an aesthetic thing for me.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

On saltwater based hunts stainless will get rust spots and discoloration. Kimber Montana’s are particularly bad at that. My uncoated kimber montana 6.5 cm looks horrible. Coating keeps the salt off but you still have the stainless bore. I try to buy rifles now that are coated like xcr2, mesas, and seekinsph2.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by SLM

Well, in my experience you're wrong. Have hunted a lot with both stainless and Cerakoted rifles, and the stainless steel generally used for rifle barrels will rust, especially in coastal ocean salt-infused air, and in saddle scabbards infused with salty horse-sweat.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John is right, stainless gun barrels will rust. Slower, but rust nonetheless.

Common stainless gun barrels are made with 416R grade SS.

"Alloy 416 is a martensitic, free-machining, chromium steel alloy that is generally considered to be the first free-machining stainless steel. It has the highest machinability of any stainless steel at about 85% of that of a free-machining carbon steel."

Machinability being of high value to produce a high quality durable bore and rifling. It also possesses the strength required to withstand the pressures when it is heat treated.

Its level of corrosion resistance can be found in this link.

https://www.interlloy.com.au/our-products/stainless-steel/416-martensitic-stainless-steel-bar/

Stainless steels engineered with higher levels of corrosion resistance have far less machinability and strength in regards to the operating pressures of a gun barrel.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What about Birdsong Black T versus Cerakote?

Not a fan of the looks Cerakote gives myself.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 11/22/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by SLM

Well, in my experience you're wrong. Have hunted a lot with both stainless and Cerakoted rifles, and the stainless steel generally used for rifle barrels will rust, especially in coastal ocean salt-infused air, and in saddle scabbards infused with salty horse-sweat.

My response was to the bold in Tiny’s post. Maybe I’m reading it wrong, but he had already touched on the rust/corrosion.

S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've had Kimber SS pistols rust sitting in a holster. My Montana has the same rust, more like micro pitting rust that is hard to clean up and in the grain. Love hard chome as an option too.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
What about Birdsong Black T versus Cerakote?

Cerokote will hold up to wear and dings better, but Black-T is slicker, if that matters to your application. They're both great.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by beretzs
Mine have been beaten pretty good and still seem pretty good.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Had it done in 17 when I built it. Cleans up real decent.

It does hold up pretty well, but will definitely mark up.

Had my first one done in 14, it has held up well, but definitely has a few marks/scratches.

Yup, agreed. I’m pretty rough on it. I’m not sure what would better? Maybe nitride?

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for everyones input. Especially appreciate Mule Deer's response.

I forgot all about Birdsong Black T. Might give them a go since they are close to where I live.
Still undecided so far.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by SLM
Mine have been beaten pretty good and still seem pretty good.

Had it done in 17 when I built it. Cleans up real decent.

It does hold up pretty well, but will definitely mark up.

Had my first one done in 14, it has held up well, but definitely has a few marks/scratches.

Yup, agreed. I’m pretty rough on it. I’m not sure what would better? Maybe nitride?

Don’t know if it’s better? Had this one parkerized 25+ years ago and it has held up great. Pretty sure stainless can’t be parkerized though?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have one parkerized rifle with a chrome-moly barrel and I prefer that finish any day over a blued finish. You can't parkerize a stainless barrel as far as I know. I'm having a stainless barrel and chrome moly receiver cerakoted in graphite black at the moment. After having quite a few rifles cerakoted, my conclusion is this: graphite black is ideal for a chrome-moly barrel or action because if it scratches you can touch up the scratch with cold bluing (or touch up black paint) until the whole barrel needs redoing in creakote or it is shot out. For a stainless barrel (including the action), a medium gray is best on the basis that any scratch won't be as obvious as with a black or olive finish, yet the medium gray will still "camouflage" well. I always tape the muzzle unless I'm not in brush and it's a fine day, so as to look after the bore, more than an un-taped barrel.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M

Don't know what "looks" you like, but this is my CZ 550 9.3x62 that's Cerakoted with a blue-black finish, designed to look like matte blueing.

When hunting in Tanzania in 2011 toward the end of the hunting season the rainy season started, and the rifle got wet. But then the clouds drifted away and it got hot and dry quickly.

The slightly damp rifle than picked up a thin layer of red dust, and the PH told me my rifle had rusted. I told him no, it didn't it's just dust.

But he insisted it was rust, so I took one of the drinking-water bottles from the cooler in the Land Cruiser, and poured the the water over the metal parts of the CZ--and the "rust" washed right off!

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Calvin

On saltwater based hunts stainless will get rust spots and discoloration. Kimber Montana’s are particularly bad at that. My uncoated kimber montana 6.5 cm looks horrible. Coating keeps the salt off but you still have the stainless bore. I try to buy rifles now that are coated like xcr2, mesas, and seekinsph2.

XCR finish is a vapor deposited coating and I think the machinery for that would be prohibitively expensive for a small shop. Mesas I have owned/own were cerakote. I do not know what the seekins has as far as a coating.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don't know what "looks" you like, but this is my CZ 550 9.3x62 that's Cerakoted with a blue-black finish, designed to look like matte blueing.

When hunting in Tanzania in 2011 toward the end of the hunting season the rainy season started, and the rifle got wet. But then the clouds drifted away and it got hot and dry quickly.

The slightly damp rifle than picked up a thin layer of red dust, and the PH told me my rifle had rusted. I told him no, it didn't it's just dust.

But he insisted it was rust, so I took one of the drinking-water bottles from the cooler in the Land Cruiser, and poured the the water over the metal parts of the CZ--and the "rust" washed right off!

[Linked Image]
I don't want to be able to pick a gun up and immediately be able to tell it has a coating.

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
This is Midnight Blue Cerakote as BSA mentioned in his post. The barrel is stainless, so I chose to have the rifle coated.

Or, you can color outside the lines a bit if you like. This is my first experience with Cerakote beyond a few small parts, so can't comment on durability. So far, so good.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S

[Linked Image]
I don't want to be able to pick a gun up and immediately be able to tell it has a coating.

Do you consider bluing a coating?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

[Linked Image]

Do you consider bluing a coating?
Not really.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,410
Posts18,489,010
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.