-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Had a Kimber 84M rebarreled from 308 to 6.5CM. The action was cerakoted during the rebarrel. Now it occasionally does not feed the first (top) cartridge out of the mag because the heel stays low and the bolt doesn't pick it up. It seems to feed the rest of the cartridges out of the mag fine.
I'm wondering if the cerakote is a bit rough and if a little judicious polishing of the feed rails would help or if I should replace the mag spring and if so what is the best mag spring?
I've tried repositioning the mag spring fore and aft and smearing a bit of oil on the feed rails and mag follower and it hasn't helped.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Same issue with my 84M in 7-08. Cause was the bottom / leading edge of the mag spring slid forward in the mag cutout, dropping the heel of the follower.

Made a small epoxy dam which positions the spring level and square under the follower and blocks the bottom of the spring from sliding forward. On my rifle this prevented the back of the follower from dropping and solved the problem.

Last edited by outahere; 11/23/23.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Either use the epoxy trick to locate the mag spring aft or use a Remington/Winchester ADL spring locator to keep the spring aft. As I remember, the Remington/Winchester part needs to be ground (shortened) to fit the Kimber mag box. It's been a while since I did one.

Also, often, the mag lips for box-fed creedmoors (and other non-tapered cartridges) need to be straighter than the way they are bent to feed 308-based cartridges. IE less inward-bend at the top of the magazine box.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That sounds right because the shells almost seem to pivot on the shoulder so opening the mag box will free things up.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Upon further examination it appears to me that the feed rails need to be opened up. The Creedmoor has a larger shoulder diameter and less body taper so the shoulders are jamming on the feed rails. I'll take it back to the smith that did the original work and see what he says.

Jack O'Connor
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Correct assembly matters,as does starting At The Fhuqking Start. Hint.

Simply gut wrap the guts,drive a milled 700 S/A 308 follower and then IF requisite,open feed lips on the magbox. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

If the follower spring is tired,simply replace it. I go through lots of them,on all platforms. Hint.

It is NOT the receiver's 'rails. Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Stick,
I bent the spring to put more upward pressure on the rear of the shells and it feeds correctly now but I will replace the follower and the spring as you suggest.
Could you give me sources on the parts you use?

Last edited by Blacktailer; 11/27/23.

Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I tack weld a bottom on those boxes and the 700 ADL's. Assembly is easier and no stess from the follower spring. Milled followers rock...easy to profile.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
RHR is very often my first pitch,but all they have are billet alloy followers and while a great improvement,I'm a Milled Steel Guy. They have springs though. Hint.

LAW has followers. Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
RHR is very often my first pitch,but all they have are billet alloy followers and while a great improvement,I'm a Milled Steel Guy. They have springs though. Hint.

LAW has followers. Hint..............
Thanks 👍

Jack O'Connor
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 34 invisible), 1,751 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,980
Posts18,499,605
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.