Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 163bc
I used a 375 H&H on my one and only leopard because i was hunting buffalo too. Much easier to use 1 gun for everything. Worked perfectly on my cat.

^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^

Plus, and I guess this may qualify me as a “rifle looney”…….if I’m paying for an African (or any other hunt), part of the experience is taking game with “MY” rifle! I’m as passionate about that as I am about the damn guide shooting my game! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
338 Win Mag Zimbabwe

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Awesome!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
My Zimbabwe PH has been hunting leopards for 40 years and told me the quickest he’s seen one drop stone dead was with a 270 shooting 150G Partitions.

My elk and grizzly round when I was young and immortal smile

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
338 Win Mag Zimbabwe

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Prehistoric saber-tooth!

Nice cat

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, a leopard weighs about the same as a man or a deer 130-200 pounds. Therefore, it logically does not take a .375 H&H to put one on the wall.

OTOH, You don't want one that does not drop dead on the spot. They have a nasty habit of maulling the s h i t out of trackers, PH's and intreped hunters. Dspecially if you take him at sundown and need to follow up in the waning daylight.

I've shot a deer in the heart with .257 Roy. If you believe what you read that should have not only dropped him on the spot from the hydrostatic shock, but field dressed and mounted him. Nope. It ran 100 yards.

Shot a leopard in hte heart with 9.3 x 62. It fell stone dead out of the tree. That's what you want.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There's just too much risk that a smaller caliber would not be a dead-right-there shot. And there's too much risk that if it's not killed straight away with that first shot, it will cause you or someone else serious problems. A .30 cal with 180's at 2700 fps would be the absolute minimum I'd consider, a .375 the largest. A 9.3 x 62 would be perfect, I'd feel most comfortable with a .338.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 11/23/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hatari
Yes, a leopard weigh about the same as a man or a dear 130-200 pounds. Therefore, it logically does not take a .375 H&H to put one on the wall.

OTOH, You don't want one that does not drop dead on the spot. They have a nasty habit of maulling the s h i t out of trackers, PH's and intreped hunters. Dspecially if you take him at sundown and need to follow up in the waning daylight.

I've shot a deer in the heart with .257 Roy. If you believe what you read that should have not only dropped him on the spot from the hydrostatic shock, but field dressed and mounted him. Nope. It ran 100 yards.

Shot a leopard in hte heart with 9.3 x 62. It fell stone dead out of the tree. That's what you want.

Shot two with 7mm RemMag, one with a .338 WinMag and one with a .44 Mag. All died on the spot. The .44 mag was a fluke as we caught it in daylight while checking baits. Still died an uneventful death. As you said, uneventful is best when shooting dangerous game.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought each African country set their hunting policy and minimum requirement. maybe I am wrong , but I think tanzania requires a minimum of 375HH ?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[

^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^

Plus, and I guess this may qualify me as a “rifle looney”…….if I’m paying for an African (or any other hunt), part of the experience is taking game with “MY” rifle! I’m as passionate about that as I am about the damn guide shooting my game! memtb[/quote]

Me too, I never liked the idea of "paying" for my PH to shoot my Game for me, and I lay it out up front. Only, if it looks like I wounded him and he might get away, then we all "rabbit" shoot him, ha Another reason I like big thumpers (we were around Buffalo, Hippo and Rhino here is what I used (35 Whelen AI/250x; 340 Wby/210 XBT; 300WM 180 XBT 375 H&H 270 FS; 338 WM/200X) is I used Barnes X, Xbt's and I could take an opportunity shot at a bad angle, insuring my success. 10,000 miles is a godawful long way to go. Whew! Again, while I never took anything bigger than Zebra, Blue Wildebeast, Black Wildebeast, Kudu, Impala, Blesbuck, Warthog, Hartebeast, SA Oryx, big Namibian Gemsbuck and Springbuck. I shot many GB/Springbuk with the 300WM in Namibia cause they were "out there" and the Afrikaaner Biltong hunters with us was like a truck load of monkeys! Shoot or they would "take their turn", not the "best folks" to hunt with out there. The ones in And around Joberg/Pretoria were more sophisticated, ha. Hey, "Good Ol Boys" are everywhere!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 11/23/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This pretty much sums it up......

Originally Posted by McCray
Harry Selby thought a 243 was just fine too. Probably more of a statement of the clients shooting ability than anything else in his case too.

Also, too often, the 375 is scoped while the bigger gun, either double or big bolt gun may be open sighted.

The reason I use a 375 is threefold. First, a 375 works wonderfully on anything I might shoot for leopard bait. Hippo, buff, any of the large plains game, on down to impala. The 375 just flat works.
Secondly, going into the blind in the morning or leaving in the evening the 375 is quite comforting. Elephants feeding around the blind or lions in the road to the blind has happened to me more than once. We even got chased by a rhino cow and her ugly little calf one night and one morning after leaving the blind and heading back to camp for breakfast I took a buff with the 375.

And thirdly, if there is a follow-up on the leopard, I want as big of a gun as I can find. A 375 is a step in the right direction.

Do or do not, there is no try.
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I know of someone that shot a bobcat opening morning of deer season. He started trailing it. It bailed out of a tree onto his head. Clawed and bit his face and started digging at his neck with its back feet. I was on the next lease. I heard the shooting, I heard the man screaming and then calling for help. I heard a truck driving fast through the rocks. The victim went to church with one of our members. They barely got him to a hospital 15 minutes away in time. This was a little 20 pound cat shot poorly with a centerfire deer rifle.
I have 2 personal stories about 20 pound bobcats shot with 30-06s that required follow up shots.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I met a guy on my first trip to South Africa who was going for Leopard. He used a 240 wby with the 100gr Partition. He shot ten Impala and one zebra for bait. The grass was still high (hadn't been burned off yet) he said he could hear the cat growling, muttering, all around his blind, but only caught glimpsed of him on the bait. No leopard that trip.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I know of someone that shot a bobcat opening morning of deer season. He started trailing it. It bailed out of a tree onto his head. Clawed and bit his face and started digging at his neck with its back feet. I was on the next lease. I heard the shooting, I heard the man screaming and then calling for help. I heard a truck driving fast through the rocks. The victim went to church with one of our members. They barely got him to a hospital 15 minutes away in time. This was a little 20 pound cat shot poorly with a centerfire deer rifle.
I have 2 personal stories about 20 pound bobcats shot with 30-06s that required follow up shots.

I shot one with a 44 mag. Instant lights out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've always ruminated that a .444 Marlin in a Ruger #1 with hollow points would ruin Chui's day.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't have much experience with leopard, but I personally would feel more comfortable with a .270, .30-06 or .300 with a quicker expanding bullet than a larger bore. I've even talked to PHs that mentioned using .243s on them. They're not huge animals and I personally think expansion would be more important than penetration as compared to larger game. The one I shot was with a .300 and 165 TSXs because it's what I happened to have in my hand that day.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
.308 Win
150g Hornady interlock.

DRT

Like DesertMuleDeer above.....I don't have much experience with leopards but I agree 100% with what he posted.

I'd say.....Don't overthink it. The leopard isn't a particularly tough animal. Wounded is another story Im told.....but any good deer bullet will do the job and it will do it well.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Hogwild7

I shot one with a 44 mag. Instant lights out.

I killed a bobcat with my 338F once. Instant DRT. Might have to choose another bullet for my 338F bobcat load. Bullet penciled right through! whistle

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
An overly tough large bore that doesn't expand well would be more hindrance than benefit I'd imagine. Just poking a hole through one would be my main concern.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,365
Posts18,488,160
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.