Print Thread
Hop To
#18951367 11/23/23
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Would you buy one off the shelf? Something like a Chistensen Arms that cost roughly $2100.
Or convert a Savage 110? Tikka? etc? Would the Savage or Tikka magazine even work?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Not sure about savage but you can’t get a tikka with a long enough factory magazine. I believe there are some aftermarket bottom metal tikka options that let you run long Aics 3.715 OAL magazines though. If memory serves me correctly they require some mods to the action though.

In a tikka I would look at the 7mm prc personally (and plan on it!).

And I’m just not a savage guy. I have had a few and they function fine but man they are ugly! And have terrible resale.

The one Christensen I own shoots and functions fine (it’s a right hand 6.5 prc) so take that for what it’s worth

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
[Linked Image]If your buying or thinking about a new Christensen Arms for $2,100 my guess is your looking at a Ridgeline FFT, I believe they are all 22” barrels on the FFT stuff, I have something that mite interest you, a lefty 700 stainless steel in 300 win mag, factory barrel that was cut to 22” and threaded 5/8x24 with matching thread protector, fluted, bolt was also fluted, all the work was done by Marty Kolbet of “Twisted Barrels”, Trigger Tech Special Trigger, the rifle is an absolute hammer, low round count, I’m not sure without looking but it’s super low and could get an exact number if you were interested, I have multiple different stocks you could choose from including McMillan and Grayboe stocks, also DBM bottom metal with mags if you wanted to go that route, I put this together late this season and took it on one hunt, I wasn’t planning on moving it until later this winter when season is over but if it’s something your interested in shoot me a PM, I’ll be on a hunt the next couple of weeks and won’t have much time to mess around until that’s over, but like I said if your interested just let me know otherwise it will hit Gunbroker in a month or two when I have more time to mess around with this stuff, it won’t be super cheap I have some money tied up into this one, but unlike a Christensen I know this one is a shooter… and I’m not knocking Christensen, some are and some aren’t has been my experience, good luck!

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Topdogjh
[Linked Image]If your buying or thinking about a new Christensen Arms for $2,100 my guess is your looking at a Ridgeline FFT, I believe they are all 22” barrels on the FFT stuff, I have something that mite interest you, a lefty 700 stainless steel in 300 win mag, factory barrel that was cut to 22” and threaded 5/8x24 with matching thread protector, fluted, bolt was also fluted, all the work was done by Marty Kolbet of “Twisted Barrels”, Trigger Tech Special Trigger, the rifle is an absolute hammer, low round count, I’m not sure without looking but it’s super low and could get an exact number if you were interested, I have multiple different stocks you could choose from including McMillan and Grayboe stocks, also DBM bottom metal with mags if you wanted to go that route, I put this together late this season and took it on one hunt, I wasn’t planning on moving it until later this winter when season is over but if it’s something your interested in shoot me a PM, I’ll be on a hunt the next couple of weeks and won’t have much time to mess around until that’s over, but like I said if your interested just let me know otherwise it will hit Gunbroker in a month or two when I have more time to mess around with this stuff, it won’t be super cheap I have some money tied up into this one, but unlike a Christensen I know this one is a shooter… and I’m not knocking Christensen, some are and some aren’t has been my experience, good luck!

Thanks. If I decide to buy or build one it will be a 300 PRC.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Good luck in your search!!!! Nothing better than a new rifle project!!!

IC B2

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The Montana Company is supposed to be releasing a new fully machined steel actioned rifle. I would contact them or wait until the SHOT show in a couple of months and get the details. I would order a .300 PRC from the get go. Other options is Defiance or Mausingfield. Best of luck to you.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Im not holding my breath for a Montana. I'll believe it when I see one. However, I do hope they fulfill their promise.

"LEFTIES
While we do not currently have left-handed models available, we will be offering this in the future for all Montana rifles".

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Would you buy one off the shelf? Something like a Chistensen Arms that cost roughly $2100.
Or convert a Savage 110? Tikka? etc? Would the Savage or Tikka magazine even work?

Not likely... My personal bent (rifle looney?) is to build it myself, or be general contractor, farm out each piece of work to the respective subs...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If I'm trying to get a lefty 300PRC and keep it reasonable I think I'm going with an Origin action (already set for Wyatts longer internal box) and a proof prefit. Pick your trigger, your stock and get to work!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Iff’n i was going to get another rifle built..

Itd be Alamo Precision.

They’ve done two for me.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Might of jumped the gun a little on this choice. Now I been giving some thought to a left hand Weatherby Accumark in 300 Wby. New Weatherby is a heck of a lot cheaper than another semi custom build.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Might of jumped the gun a little on this choice. Now I been giving some thought to a left hand Weatherby Accumark in 300 Wby. New Weatherby is a heck of a lot cheaper than another semi custom build.

Absolute truth ^^^^^ I had a longer post typed out above, but, scratched it. All of my tinker builds cost significantly more than most factory rifles. And sell for significantly smaller percentage of total build cost when I decide to flip them...

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Absolute truth ^^^^^ I had a longer post typed out above, but, scratched it. All of my tinker builds cost significantly more than most factory rifles. And sell for significantly smaller percentage of total build cost when I decide to flip them...

We think alike for sure. And now Hornady makes 300 Wby ammo so it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy. Buying ammo seems to be the easiest way to accumulate brass at the current time. Weatherby promises 1 inch or better at 100 yards and I am not that good of a bench rest shooter to do much better than that.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1beaver_shooter, 260Remguy, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 54 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,474
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.