Print Thread
Hop To
C
CRF75 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Happy Thanksgiving to all that have responded to my questions over the last 3-4 years. I came across a Savage 99 that someone had attempted to reblue and picked it up for $400. I found
this site and began to ask questions about restoring it to its original condition. I quickly got the idea that if it have been altered in anyway that it wasn't worth anything as far as collector value.
The previous owner had done a bad job of blueing and I wanted to have that corrected.

Fast forward to about a month ago when my gunsmith called and said it was ready to be picked up. After the initial purchase, I purchased a Lightfoot mount as well as a Lyman #2 Peep
Sight.

My question it knowing that a good number of you object to drilling any holes in the original rifle, what is the recommended way to attach a sling to a 99 without doing so? When did Savage introduce Sling Studs on their rifles. I would like to get a pair of Factory Studs so that I can have them installed.

Thanks again to everyone that has responded to my post over the last 3-4 years. Your willingness to share is very much appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Carroll Floyd

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Considering your 99 has been reblued I don’t think I’d worry too much about adding sling swivels. With the refinish you are looking at a gun with more shooter than collector value. Having said that, you could avoid drilling a hole in the forearm by fitting a sling swivel to the screw boss that holds the forearm in place. Uncle Mike’s used to make quick detachable stud that did just that. I’ve ran a die down Model 70 type swivels to make them work. As a matter of fact Model 70 type swivels look pretty classy on a 99. Best of luck with your project and Happy Thanksgiving!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
You can buy slings with loops on both ends that don’t require studs.

But I also agree with S99VG, adding studs to a reblued rifle won’t subtract much from its value.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I sell a forearm stud that replaces the factory screw so you don't have to drill the forearm.

I can send you a set for front and back for standard swivels. Just send me a PM.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
As far as when did Savage start to offer them, this is my 1912 H 22 HP with the optional eyes. I think they were something like $1, or $1.50 in 1912.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

C
CRF75 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Happy Thanksgiving Sir. Can you provide a picture of the set at your convince. Enjoy the upcoming holidays.

Carroll

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
If you drill for sling studs , inlet a compass in the stock also .
Thank me later, and Happy Thanksgiving!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One of my pet peeves as well. For a manufacturer of a quality anything, to manufacture a product that themselves know, will have to be worked on or added to in order to make that item fully functional, is mind numbing. If I had done that in my businesses, I would have been out of business as soon as a competitor taken advantage of my laziness. Savage, Remington, Marlin, and Winchester were and are just as guilty. As a solution to the above problem, barrel swivels are a common solution for the front half. I have on several occasions, inserted a wide nylon strap under the buttplate and attached the sling swivel to the strap. Also made many 1" wide straps from nylon webbing material with a loop sewn on each end, thus letting me have a strap with no damage.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My ‘52 Savage 99 EG in 300 Savage had these studs on it when I bought it a few years ago. I was told they were a savage part from a different model. Trouble is they require a different swivel to fit the stud, very expensive and out of my price range. They are well installed and countersunk or I would change them.
Unless it’s a collector rifle I would put Lightfoot’s studs on my rifle. A hunting rifle needs a sling in my opinion.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used Lightfoot's kit before on guns that have already been altered.

It works very well.

Last edited by 99guy; 11/23/23.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
As far as when did Savage start to offer them, this is my 1912 H 22 HP with the optional eyes. I think they were something like $1, or $1.50 in 1912.

Joe,

Is that front stud using the screw hole for the takedown slide ?

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can tell you that after hunting with a sling for 50 years, the last 2 days of packing a 99 without one is a pain in the azz!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It's easy to carry, just not convenient.

LHS

Last edited by LHS905; 11/24/23.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've been thinking about getting a loop sling like these, might solve your dilemma.

https://www.sloganoutdoors.com/slings

https://www.ultimategunsling.com/store/Loop-Sling-p131321111

Lee

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by AdventureBound
Originally Posted by JoeMartin

Joe,

Is that front stud using the screw hole for the takedown slide ?
Yes. Two screws and I think the eye goes in the front one. The modern swivels are wrong. The little eyes used the swivel/hook, that looks like a fish hook

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Believe it or not, while bored in the mountains, I deleated 635 pics. I had close ups of the early eyes, oops.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have something like this. Can be put on any 99 without adding holes. Mine was made for black powder rifles rather than shotgun, but same idea. I presume this would fit.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cva-quake-claw-shotgun-sling

[Linked Image from assets.basspro.com]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Polecat
I've been thinking about getting a loop sling like these, might solve your dilemma.

https://www.sloganoutdoors.com/slings

https://www.ultimategunsling.com/store/Loop-Sling-p131321111

Lee
Thanks. First year hunting this rifle, thought I'd see how it went. I will probably get something like that for the future.

LHS

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,364
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.