Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
ad at local car dealership $49.95 for 6 qt. oil change full syn. + tire rotation. call service dept. service guy asks what vehicle? 2012 suburban. Oh that takes 8 qts. me, "no it doesn't. him, yes it does. me, no I've changed it about a dozen times. takes 6 qts. him, okay we'll just put 6 qts. in. So that's settled and I make an appointment. Which I may still cancel. Do they count on all customers to be rubes and just keep 2 qts. the customer pays for or are expecting to find other problems that need fixed or both?

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
He should know better. My search says 6 quarts for a 2012. My 2020 GMC with a 5.3 takes almost 8 quarts so maybe he was off on the model.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Ignorance...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
He’s losing money

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Not all Full Synthetic oils are equal, and neither are the filters. Retail price for the oil and filter I use in my 3.4 Tacoma costs about $40, but at least I know what's in it, and I know it's not going to get overfilled, underfilled or a stripped oil pan bolt. If you want a cheap oil change go to walmarx, but yes... it sounds like bait & switch which dealers have been known to do for decades, and salesmen for eons.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I buy the bundle deals.

Advance usually has 5 gt Mobil 1 or Castrol full syn hi milaeage + K&N filter for $40 or so.

Store brand oil + store brand filter for $34.

I spring formthe upgrade. K&N filter uses a 1” socket.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I just bought a 92 F350 dually with a 460 engine in it. The seller got it "serviced" at Wally World before I picked it up. He's really the one who got serviced, as in royally phugged. The idiots put in 16 quarts of oil- - - -the right amount for a Powerstroke Diesel. At least I can drain out the overfill and have enough oil for almost two more changes!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by m1rifleman
Do they count on all customers to be rubes and just keep 2 qts. the customer pays for or are expecting to find other problems that need fixed or both?

The vehicle repair/service industry is full of scam artists so the answer is probably both.

But answering phones and scheduling appointments is a low skill job. The value add is in turning wrenches so in any decent sized shop don't expect the guy who answers your call to know WTF because if he did they'd put him to work elsewhere.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by earlybrd
He’s losing money

Naw, he's buying cheap oil by the barrel. They are making money.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Some dude making minimum wage and playing games on his phone half the day.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by earlybrd
He’s losing money

He’s paying $5 for a filter and buying oil in a 500 gallon tote for $2.50 qt for synthetic. He’s doing just fine. And you upsell an air filter, w/s wiper blades. $$$

Yours in Liberty,

BL
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Take it somewhere else that knows what they are doing. Not the thing to count.your nickels on. Serious no confidence dialog on that one.. mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
He’s paying $5 for a filter and buying oil in a 500 gallon tote for $2.50 qt for synthetic. He’s doing just fine. And you upsell an air filter, w/s wiper blades. $$$

Exactly...

Most folks don't understand bulk... or volume buying.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

$1.91 for a Luber Finer filter for a new Toyota or Lexus...

Same on bulk oil...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That sounds like a price that would come with a scam, so I understand why you asked. Stealerships want to charge $50 just for tire rotation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Round it up to cover losses or maybe the shop guys tweaked the system so they get to keep a quiet on each job....
Maybe he don't read numbers so good...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Anyone dumb/lazy enough to take their vehicle to get the oil changed should expect this. You ever see the guys doing the oil change? They look like retards. Change it yourself or find someone you trust that’s not too lazy for a 30 min oil change. If you can’t rotate your own tires maybe see if they hiring oil changers at your dealer lol

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
well you didn't disappoint me Bay. I knew I'd get one smartass response. Go [bleep] on another forum....

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys have your oil changed? Seriously? Next you are going to claim your scrub the bores on your rifles too.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Same [bleep] here one time. Wife's car sits low so she took it to a lube place. Had a price of like $35 for up to 5 quarts. They told her it held 5.5 quarts and up charged $5.00.
Car actually held less than 5 quarts.

I went into the place the next day and confronted the manager. Told him I knew the car held 5 quarts or less. He said we just checked by the dipstick. He said it took a bit over 5 quarts so they charged for another quart. So I said okay, where's my half quart of oil I paid for.

He knew this was headed where he didn't want to go and gave me a free oil change. We used the freebie and never went back. I took it in that time and watched every move they made. People get ripped off every day and are too stupid to know it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No way am I going to allow a low IQ someone I don't know take off and replace my drain plug and filter at what stage of torque I don't know. And then put bulk oil of what brand, quality, and viscosity I don't know along with a no-name filter. Oil is too important. I save money by changing it myself but that isn't the main reason I change it.

At our house the gas vehicles get Mobil 1, or Castrol full synthetic and Wix or Mobil 1 filters. One time I bought Royal Purple when it was all they had in upper end oil.

The one old Ford tractor we have and the Honda 4 wheelers get Rotella or Mobil conventional 15W40.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,797
Posts18,516,151
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.