Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ray
alpninecrick:

I assure you that you can be more influential to Alaskans and their wildlife management if you were here, instead of spending so much time telling us what to do from your office in Washington DC. All sorts of animal rights groups have offices in Alaska.

wink

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by muledeer
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

You are also overlooking the legal requirement to provide for subsistence use of fish and game. Much of the need to reduce bear and wolf populations in certain areas revolves around maintaining ungulate populations to feed people in remote areas, while still providing sport hunting for residents and...nonresidents.

Oh, I'm well aware of the special benefits the natives recieve to maintain their "traditional" lifestyle--replete with centerfire rifles, snowmobiles, motorboats, and satellite TV......

I do hunt wolves...but since I live about 1200 miles away from the points of interest at the moment, it's a little difficult for me to have an effect. Would be like expecting you to spend every weekend helping Maryland with their overpopulation of whitetails. But since you lived here 30 years ago you probably already know that.

So you don't hunt moose in that area 1200 miles away either?

Any wolves in your area?

Casey

Whether or not I hunt moose there has nothing to do with the issue at hand. As far as wolves in my area, ask my dog... Then again, it would be hard for me to hunt them if they weren't here, now wouldn't it. (Here's your hint -- I live on an island...)

Anilca specifies "rural residents" -- not natives. I know lots of Alaska Natives -- all of the ones living in Ketchikan and Anachorage, for example -- who have no subsistence rights because they don't receive mail at a rural zipcode.

My dog got munched four years ago in my neighbor's driveway by a wolf -- she survived; the wolf's hide is in my shop. I suspect few would call my residence "urban" -- yet under ANILCA that is exactly what I am. So let's don't try to turn the subsistence debate into an "Indians are lazy, ungrateful bastards who ought to appreciate what society has done for them" diatribe...it ain't about blood quantum -- it's all about zipcode. And fairly arbitrarily selected ones at that. Which is what makes it intrinsically wrong.

But since you used to live in Alaska, I'm sure you already knew all that...

Meanwhile, back to wolf-moose management....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W

Very good article. It makes the case for predator control very effectively.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Casey
You keep using the phrase "Dramatically high moose populations" and yet have only mentioned a single area in the Farewell Burn, now long past its most productive stages. Can you give another moose overpopulation site? How about an historical event of same?

Sportsmen are clamoring for opportunities to hunt wolves... But those outside dollars went and got the only viable option outlawed.

Now that we have a pro-ungulate gov we are slowly making a few steps toward a recovery. It is my understanding ADF&G has but a single biologist that believes there is a moose over-population somewhere in AK. To get it under control he has allocated a bunch of moose calf tags. His rationale being the calves have a smaller chance of survivng the winter and the herd has little invested in the calf. Lowering recruitment will not hurt the population and it creates more hunting opportunities...

The other bios I have spoken to about it simply shake their heads in wonder at the situation... I suspect he is from CO and here to undermine our way of doing things. wink
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W

Just listened in on a short conversation about one area in Alaska where controversial wolf "control" is proposed to "help" the moose population.
But when the locals have to hike more than a few hundred yards from the pickup--the wolves get all the blame.

This is more about walkingman who plays a very sophisticated game of "monkeywrenching"

It takes no sophistication to expose you. It is very easy.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Casey
You keep using the phrase "Dramatically high moose populations" and yet have only mentioned a single area in the Farewell Burn, now long past its most productive stages. Can you give another moose overpopulation site? How about an historical event of same?

Farewell burn doesn't sound like the one I was listening in on--but I may be wrong.

I'm not making the claim that currently there are high populations, but the density goals seem to be artificially high--and wolves seem to be getting the blame when habitat conditions may be an equal or bigger factor than wolves--that's all.

Sportsmen are clamoring for opportunities to hunt wolves... But those outside dollars went and got the only viable option outlawed.

Tell me about that--I'm interested.

Now that we have a pro-ungulate gov we are slowly making a few steps toward a recovery. It is my understanding ADF&G has but a single biologist that believes there is a moose over-population somewhere in AK. To get it under control he has allocated a bunch of moose calf tags. His rationale being the calves have a smaller chance of survivng the winter and the herd has little invested in the calf. Lowering recruitment will not hurt the population and it creates more hunting opportunities...

Again, I'm not claiming over population of anything. But another issue is trying to maintain populations at consistent levels when natural high-low cycles may benefit the habitat--because the habitat evolved with those cycles--just like it evolved with fire.

You know, I have always said a drip torch and a fast pickup could be the best wildlife tool we will ever have wink

The other bios I have spoken to about it simply shake their heads in wonder at the situation... I suspect he is from CO and here to undermine our way of doing things. wink
art

It's all a Rocky Mountain plot grin

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
[
Now, when we do that, are we farming a certian species? Should we just develop a certian breed of Herford cow and turn those cattle out onto the landscape, protect them from the big, bad predators, then wax romantic about hunting in the "wilderness"?

I mean, we'll get more meat for our hunt with a Hereford..........right?

You never miss a chance to denigrate American sportsmen.

You still seem to hold on to that Disney concept that wolves make prey "wilder". As if once you take away canine predators cervids just walk into the guns sights.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by walkingman

Uh-oh! The industry twit had popped outta the weeds again!......

You are the ONLY member on the entire Campfire that I utterly and completely disrespect--I have faced off with you industry reps before--absolutely no integrity.

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You know, it's proven that wolves and lawyers share the same DNA. Maybe that will cause you to leave us be...........

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W

Hunting was a tool in that goal. But current generations are under the impression that hunting is the goal....it only took a couple generations to forget.

Hunting has always been the goal. It is only recently that hunting has become something we need to defend. It is only recently that ecology has become a religion.

Essentially there was a "pact" made between sport hunters and the rest of the citizens--we get to hunt certian species of wildlife, and in return we pay for wildlife...ALL wildlife.

Wrong. What happened was that the rest of the country did not care one iota about wildlife management - period. Sportsmen are the true and original conservationists, and they still are.

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W

Oh, I'm well aware of the special benefits the natives recieve to maintain their "traditional" lifestyle--replete with centerfire rifles, snowmobiles, motorboats, and satellite TV......

Like I said, he never misses a chance to ridicule the American sportsman.

Last edited by walkingman; 12/26/07.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W

Tell me about that--I'm interested.

Like I said, transparent.

You know, I have always said a drip torch and a fast pickup could be the best wildlife tool we will ever have wink

Actually, I retract my statement here. I misread the meaning of this post. Fire is a very good management tool.

Last edited by walkingman; 12/26/07.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by walkingman

Uh-oh! The industry twit had popped outta the weeds again!......

You are the ONLY member on the entire Campfire that I utterly and completely disrespect--I have faced off with you industry reps before--absolutely no integrity.
Casey

Casey, I don't care what you think about me. As long as your true colors are shown I'm happy. Man you are delusional. So what industry do I represent anyway?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Farewell Burn is huge and close to McGrath. An area with interesting history in moose management. There have been multiple studies done to show severely depressed moose numbers. Guides in the area have quit taking hunts because there are no moose to hunt. Locals say the same thing.

Locals have been hammering wolves in ever increasing numbers, but ADF&G breaks down harvest by tagging station, not kill location. Funny how the Anchorage office (with over half the state population with a few miles) tags more wolves than any other!

But the bios keep getting changed because no one is happy with them. The last one reported the herd was well above historic numbers... starting to sound familiar yet? Of course the moose harvest is non-existant in the area, but those they do record according to actual kill site.

Among the really brilliant moves they have made is to trap and relocate calf-killing bears. As you might know the occasional old boar black or brown bear comes forward and does all he can to kill every calf in a herd. And some get real good at it. I forget which African predator correlates to that with just a single old male killing virtually all of the calves dropped in a an area that concentrates all of the ungulates for hundreds of square miles. But there must be one, no?

The ADF&G folks trappped one old black boar with a known history of killing calves. They spent thousands of dollars to chopper his worthless hide to a new location so he would not impact the McGrath herd any more. How long do you think it took the bear to return to the land of milkin' calves? Less than a week and over 200 miles IIRC.

More bears were moved including sows and cubs and all sorts of other bears. All of which is ridiculous because they are rarely the problem, or at most a minor part of the bigger problem. Wasting resources that could be better spent on all sorts of things.

So density goals are the problem? As I have yet to see government EVER reach a goal they mean nothing to me. What matters is the fact the moose herds are as low as they have been in my life time. Wolves and bears are more numerous than they have ever been. Pressures from many fronts are negatively impacting our hunting and we have morons from other states getting information at least third hand telling us how to do it their way.

We have had multiple votes about managing wildlife, especially about airborne wolf hunting and hunters lost repeatedly because in large part the antis collected tons of money from outside. SCI stepped up and spent tons of money here, but that money could have been used for so many things with potential to help everyone.
art

Last edited by Sitka deer; 12/26/07.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SeaRunRainbow
You know, it's proven that wolves and lawyers share the same DNA. Maybe that will cause you to leave us be...........

You betcha Scott. But glad to see you back anyway smile

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
A lot of people espouse enlightened/liberal views about the proper way to deal with child sex offenders/predators. . . .until a couple of them decide to move into the neighborhood. Bears cougars and wolves tend to generate similar "enlightened" opinions witin the same elite nimby peanut gallery.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
good point skeeter!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The Farewell Burn is huge and close to McGrath.

Thanks art.

You mean in Alaska they relocate problem bears? What happened to hunting for black bears?

And while they relocate black bears they are going to aerial gun wolves?

Talk about a strange juxtaposition of management crazy

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Aedes
A lot of people espouse enlightened/liberal views about the proper way to deal with child sex offenders/predators. . . .until a couple of them decide to move into the neighborhood. Bears cougars and wolves tend to generate similar "enlightened" opinions witin the same elite nimby peanut gallery.

Often the ones who blame everything and everybody else for their lack of hunting success usually are the ones who don't get too far from the pickups--they're too fat and weighed down with the latest hardware..............

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I worked on a cougar study, and captured a fair number of cougars over a 6 year period.

Was that the infamous Selway study? The model used for the entire country, for years.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1lessdog, 1_deuce, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,361
Posts18,527,204
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.