Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
There's been a few discussions recently on the 7 PRC and factory ammo velocities. Rather than tag onto one of the other threads, here are results with my Seekins Element (22" barrel). I initially bought 5 boxes of 175 ELDX and 180 ELDM ammo and shot most of that up before handloading for it.

1st session with handloads included 64 - 67 gr of H1000 and 64 - 67 gr of RL26, both with 180 Scenars and Fed 215M's. With the Magnetospeed and firing 1 round with each charge, results were as follows:

Factory 175 ELDX. 2726 fps

64 H1000. 2681.
65 H1000. 2762.
66 H1000. 2770. Light ejector mark
67 H1000. 2845. Noticeable ejector mark

64 RL26. 2833.
65 RL26. 2901. Light ejector mark
66 RL26. 2907. Noticeable ejector mark
67 RL26. 2957. Noticeable ejector mark

I decided on 65 RL26 and loaded a batch to finalize zero and hunt with. 2nd session with that load showed 2887, 2874 and 2882. Basically 2880 fps...

Comparing to my 7 SAUM (24" barrel), 61 gr RL26 and 180 Scenars gives me 2920 fps and no pressure signs. 61.5 gr gives ejector marks and slightly sticky bolt. I haven't experienced a sticky bolt in the 7 PRC but felt I should stop where I did based on ejector marks. Not sure what to think - seems the 7 SAUM equals the 7 PRC with less powder. FWIW, I'm using ADG 7 SAUM brass vs Hornady 7 PRC brass.

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff, JG!

Thanks, for putting those numbers up. After almost 80 rounds on my Element in 7PRC. I averaged out at 2767 from boxed 175gr eldx ammo.

I’m headed to the range this second to shoot some preliminary speeds on a new Fierce Carbon Rage in 7PRC with a 24” tube.

My Garmin Xero C1 landed a couple days ago. Curious how the Garmin does. Just the small size alone of the Xero, if it does what it’s supposed to do. Will be a huge win over setting up my Labradar.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for posting that JG.

Be interesting to see how better brass would act in the PRC.

Semper Fi
J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Good stuff, JG!

Thanks, for putting those numbers up. After almost 80 rounds on my Element in 7PRC. I averaged out at 2767 from boxed 175gr eldx ammo.

I’m headed to the range this second to shoot some preliminary speeds on a new Fierce Carbon Rage in 7PRC with a 24” tube.

My Garmin Xero C1 landed a couple days ago. Curious how the Garmin does. Just the small size alone of the Xero, if it does what it’s supposed to do. Will be a huge win over setting up my Labradar.

🦫

In a 24", I would think factory ammo should get 2800-2850 and RE26 should get to 2950'ish.

Buddy of mine just sold me his Magnetospeed V3 so he could buy the Garmin. Haven't heard any reports from him yet, but it sounds great.

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by beretzs

I've been wondering if the ejector marks are due to soft Hornady brass and there's more to be had with ADG or similar. I see ADG is now making 7 PRC.

I did find that neck tension varied somewhat when reloading the Hornady brass. Not confidence inspiring...

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGray

I've been wondering if the ejector marks are due to soft Hornady brass and there's more to be had with ADG or similar. I see ADG is now making 7 PRC.

I did find that neck tension varied somewhat when reloading the Hornady brass. Not confidence inspiring...

I was thinking the same thing myself. The loads and powder you used shouldn’t be straining or redlining anything. I guess you never know but those seemed pretty mild.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Hmm. I am trying to decide if a suppressed 7prc Element/180s will make all my other rifles obsolete.

Problem is that I can’t get ‘26.

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
From what I've been reading, quite a few folks are moving away from RL26 in favor of H1000 due to temp stability and consistency. Those doing so seem to feel the benefits are worth the velocity penalty. I have several lbs of both and will be comparing the two in more detail. So far, H1000 seems to group a little more consistently.

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

I located some ADG brass and have some ordered, so will start over with that soon.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I too found some ADG brass and ordered 100 pcs. I noticed ADG's notice to reduce loads due to their heavier brass and smaller volume cases, just like when using military brass. I've been using Hornady cases because that's what I have, looking forward to trying the ADG. Now if Garmin would just hurry up and get more Xero C1 Pro Chronographs on the shelves!

I still have boxes of Hornady 175gr ELD-X and 180gr ELD-M, but very interested in what some handloads will achieve. Not interested in trying to make my 7mm PRC a 28 Nosler, just the best 7mm PRC I can make it.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I located some ADG brass and have some ordered, so will start over with that soon.

I’ll be watching!

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watching this thread with keen interest. I almost pulled the trigger on a Christensen Arms Mesa FFT but have not because of this very issue. Unless I can get 2900 with a 175 ABLR, I'm not switching from my 270/150 AB set up.

After gacking the numbers, I can't see me packing a rifle that weighs a pound more than my 270, with more recoil to gain 50 or so yards extra wind deflection margin. Meaning - assuming an elk has a 16" vital zone, to keep all bullets inside of 8" max wind deflection is the margin of error so to speak unless you hold for wind. Anything after about 380 yards requires a wind hold if wind is blowing. My 270 load keeps them inside 8" with a 10 mph wind out to 335 yards. The 7 PRC 175 ABLR at 2900 hits 8" at 380. If I wanted to run a 270/150 ABLR, it hits 8" at 365. All bullets mentioned are moving 22-2300 ft/sec at those distances - or fast enough to work. I would never shoot past 500 unless I was dealing with a wounded animal and have passed on animals past 400 more than a few times. Wind is something I don't take lightly. I've seen it blow 180 degrees different between me and my target when shooting across a canyon or ravine.

Possibly the biggest difference may be the frangible bullet thing - but if I'm being honest that is my biggest concern shooting the high BC bullets at significant speed. Anyone that knows me is aware that many of my elk were shot at bow distances in the timber. I think a ABLR would be OK but the ELDX still has me concerned because it's not bonded and I've seen alot of pics of pieces of ELDX bullets. I'd hate to splash one on a close quartering to shot at 2900 and end up with a rodeo.

In the end, if I can get 2900 in a PRC with a 22" barrel, I'll stick my toe in the high BC bullet game. I do think a 175 gr 'more frangible bullet' gives a margin of error on the splash effect. In my mind, the ABLR may be better for what I normally run into.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hodgdon shows over 2900 and nearly 3k with every powder they list with the 175 ABLR in a 24” barrel. I don’t think it’ll be any big trick to make 2900 out of a good 22” barrel.

Hodgdon always seems to be the most grounded and trustworthy in my opinion of what’s possible.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hodgdon shows over 2900 and nearly 3k with every powder they list with the 175 ABLR in a 24” barrel. I don’t think it’ll be any big trick to make 2900 out of a good 22” barrel.

Hodgdon always seems to be the most grounded and trustworthy in my opinion of what’s possible.

Agreed on Hodgdon, although will say, I routinely get a bit more velocity than they do with the same charges. The weird thing is that almost all other powder and bullet maker data says the same thing on the PRC. I'm doubly perplexed on the discrepency because I've owned more than a few 7 mags and 2900 with a 175 was no big deal. I'm starting to think there is something with the Horn brass. I shoot alot of Horn brass (308, 6.5) and have never had an issue. I'm hoping the guys on this thread reshooting with ADG brass post results. I really want to try the 7 PRC - a 22" barrel, 8lb shooting a high BC bullet covers 99% of the animals and ground I hunt.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It’s certainly where I’ve gotten to myself. Works great for my hunting.

Semper Fi
J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bwinters
My 270 load keeps them inside 8" with a 10 mph wind out to 335 yards. The 7 PRC 175 ABLR at 2900 hits 8" at 380. If I wanted to run a 270/150 ABLR, it hits 8" at 365.

In the end, if I can get 2900 in a PRC with a 22" barrel, I'll stick my toe in the high BC bullet game. I do think a 175 gr 'more frangible bullet' gives a margin of error on the splash effect. In my mind, the ABLR may be better for what I normally run into.

I'm curious about your 270 load with the 150 ABLR. I'm also working with that bullet and RL26 in a 1:9 Fieldcraft and getting some inconsistent pressure signs.

In the 7 PRC, I've no doubt that 2900 with 175's is doable in a 22" barrel with RL26, but not sure about other powders.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The ADG brass is great brass it stacks up right with Lapua
The 7 won't be immune to clicker problems either running the ADG without the back end opened up to .535 especially at the 2900fps. Manson even puts it on there website there reamers are saami except they have .535 at the .200 line

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I followed DeanA down the ADG brass path this morning. I have a box coming to try against some once fired Hornady brass casings.

I’m also doing a bullet change out. Again, DeanA lead me to a sample pack of 170gr Hammer bullets I’m going to try along with some 168gr VLD Hunting Bergers. Heck, I’m certain I can at the very least generate some consistent velocity that I’ve been struggling to obtain from my boxes of Horn 175gr eldx ammo.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

**I used my Garmin Xero C1 Chronograph yesterday to check some early speeds on my Fierce 7PRC and Fierce Mini Rogue in 6.5 CM. There isn’t anything I hate about the Garmin Xero. For me, it’s a game changer just in portability and ease of set up.

It’s an extremely small unit - palm sized. Even my cell phone is bigger. It comes in a box with a charging cable and small legged tripod that screws into the bottom of the unit. You charge the unit for 4 hours after opening the box. Then you’re ready to set up for shooting.

The Garmin is feature rich with pairing to your cell phone via the Shotview App for those who like stored data on their phone. The unit also allows you to enter a specific bullet you’re shooting - if you want kinetic energy and power factor information. Or, go with simple choreographed speed, without the nuisance of bullet type being fired.

The Xero C1 is using Doppler like Labradar. One could assume Garmin has targeted Labradar users and hoping to take market share and then some from them.

The small unit is extremely easy to get setup and ready for capturing a fired round. I’m far from a tech geek, but where I would sometimes struggle remembering what I needed to do to get my Labradar on ready. I had no issues like that with the Xero C1. It’s very intuitive with simple button pressing to manage and maneuver through the screen.

Another feature of the Garmin, is there isn’t a time limit to get a shot off, like the Labradar would go into sleepy mode. Then you have to hit the button to wake it up. I hated that. I would always feel rushed to take a shot. My eyes were always looking to see if the orange light was still on the LRDR if I was taking longer to get comfortable. The Garmin just sits there waiting, almost indefinitely to capture your shot.

Positioning the Garmin, when using a rifle is a lot simpler than the LBRD. With the LBRD, you must remember where the unit needs to sit in relation to a naked muzzle, which is a different position than if you have a break or suppressor attached. I placed the Garmin where my barrel met the forend of the stock. Worked perfectly. No error reading. I would typically get one or more error readings from my LBRD.

The Garmin is a simple. Just point in the direction of the target (no alignment sight) just point it and place the unit 5” to 10” behind the muzzle on either side of the barrel. Readings from fired shots are fast. I don’t know if the readings on the unit appear faster than a LBRD or a MagnetoSpeed, but it’s an extremely fast reading.

For portability and set up on a shooting table. There’s no comparison to the Xero C1. It’s light as a feather, taking up little to no room on a bench. My LBRD was a PITA to get squared away on my bench.

Smaller is better. Lighter is better. Features are better. Set up for game on, is simpler. To me the Garmin kills the competition in everything that is important to me.

The only question is…How’s its long term durability going to be? That’s the unknown. Guessing I will find out over time.

I forgot. The Garmin does Bow, Pistol, and Airgun as well. With specific settings for each weapon.

I say get one.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My load so far with my Mossberg patriot (El Cheapo)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I painted her so she is "somewhat Prettier".....If I dare to use the word. LOL

All velocities from my FX True Ballistics---Love it!

Still working up withthe heavier bullets

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fortis,

How do you like your Vortex LHT scope?

🦫

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I followed DeanA down the ADG brass path this morning. I have a box coming to try against some once fired Hornady brass casings.

I’m also doing a bullet change out. Again, DeanA lead me to a sample pack of 170gr Hammer bullets I’m going to try along with some 168gr VLD Hunting Bergers. Heck, I’m certain I can at the very least generate some consistent velocity that I’ve been struggling to obtain from my boxes of Horn 175gr eldx ammo.

**I used my Garmin Xero C1 Chronograph yesterday to check some early speeds on my Fierce 7PRC and Fierce Mini Rogue in 6.5 CM. There isn’t anything I hate about the Garmin Xero. For me, it’s a game changer just in portability and ease of set up.

It’s an extremely small unit - palm sized. Even my cell phone is bigger. It comes in a box with a charging cable and small legged tripod that screws into the bottom of the unit. You charge the unit for 4 hours after opening the box. Then you’re ready to set up for shooting.

The Garmin is feature rich with pairing to your cell phone via the Shotview App for those who like stored data on their phone. The unit also allows you to enter a specific bullet you’re shooting - if you want kinetic energy and power factor information. Or, go with simple choreographed speed, without the nuisance of bullet type being fired.

The Xero C1 is using Doppler like Labradar. One could assume Garmin has targeted Labradar users and hoping to take market share and then some from them.

The small unit is extremely easy to get setup and ready for capturing a fired round. I’m far from a tech geek, but where I would sometimes struggle remembering what I needed to do to get my Labradar on ready. I had no issues like that with the Xero C1. It’s very intuitive with simple button pressing to manage and maneuver through the screen.

Another feature of the Garmin, is there isn’t a time limit to get a shot off, like the Labradar would go into sleepy mode. Then you have to hit the button to wake it up. I hated that. I would always feel rushed to take a shot. My eyes were always looking to see if the orange light was still on the LRDR if I was taking longer to get comfortable. The Garmin just sits there waiting, almost indefinitely to capture your shot.

Positioning the Garmin, when using a rifle is a lot simpler than the LBRD. With the LBRD, you must remember where the unit needs to sit in relation to a naked muzzle, which is a different position than if you have a break or suppressor attached. I placed the Garmin where my barrel met the forend of the stock. Worked perfectly. No error reading. I would typically get one or more error readings from my LBRD.

The Garmin is a simple. Just point in the direction of the target (no alignment sight) just point it and place the unit 5” to 10” behind the muzzle on either side of the barrel. Readings from fired shots are fast. I don’t know if the readings on the unit appear faster than a LBRD or a MagnetoSpeed, but it’s an extremely fast reading.

For portability and set up on a shooting table. There’s no comparison to the Xero C1. It’s light as a feather, taking up little to no room on a bench. My LBRD was a PITA to get squared away on my bench.

Smaller is better. Lighter is better. Features are better. Set up for game on, is simpler. To me the Garmin kills the competition in everything that is important to me.

The only question is…How’s its long term durability going to be? That’s the unknown. Guessing I will find out over time.

I forgot. The Garmin does Bow, Pistol, and Airgun as well. With specific settings for each weapon.

I say get one.

🦫

Great info Beav. Mines on BO from Grafs, but all the stuff you mentioned is why I ordered one up. Pretty excited to use it.

I am thinking it is going to make a huge dent into others share of the market.

How's the battery consumption? Any issues for a normal few hour range trip?

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My 270 load keeps them inside 8" with a 10 mph wind out to 335 yards. The 7 PRC 175 ABLR at 2900 hits 8" at 380. If I wanted to run a 270/150 ABLR, it hits 8" at 365.

I'm curious about your 270 load with the 150 ABLR. I'm also working with that bullet and RL26 in a 1:9 Fieldcraft and getting some inconsistent pressure signs.

In the 7 PRC, I've no doubt that 2900 with 175's is doable in a 22" barrel with RL26, but not sure about other powders.

I used the 150 ABLR in my old Tikka with 26 and man, it shot like crazy right over 3K. Other rifles I have not been so lucky with, but that rifle, man, it would shoot them!

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Sorry to sidetrack the post, but I figured I'd throw this up since it's what we're measuring the PRC up against. I wouldn't be scared of trying H4831, Magnum, or even RL16/H4350, etc since they'll all likely get into the 2900 range I'd think.

Last edited by beretzs; 11/27/23.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I haven't worked up a load with theb150 ABLR. My current load is Re under a 150 AB for a shade over 2900 from a 24" Kimber. Shoots a bit less than MOA with 5 shots.

Given the unobtainium nature of Re 26, I'd be inclined to use H1000.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=Beaver10]

Great info Beav. Mines on BO from Grafs, but all the stuff you mentioned is why I ordered one up. Pretty excited to use it.

I am thinking it is going to make a huge dent into others share of the market.

How's the battery consumption? Any issues for a normal few hour range trip?

Scotty, I’m not certain at this time. I only had the Garmin running for approximately 45 minutes. As of now, the unit isn’t showing any indication that the battery has any usage on it.

A guy could easily plug the charging cable of the Garmin into a portable battery and have ample time for a day at the range. I bought a block battery for the Labradar that I will use for the Garmin.

I would suggest buying a solid, hard case for the unit, tripod, and cable. I went with a Pelican Vault V100 for $45 bucks at Amazon.

Too me, it’s good money spent to protect this small unit.

Link..Copy and paste, I guess.

https://www.amazon.com/Vault-Pelican-Multi-Purpose-Equipment-Electronics/dp/B0B946VWWG/ref=sr_1_4?crid=IAC97DGGJ3ZC&keywords=PELICAN+vault+v100&qid=1701109667&sprefix=pelican+vault+v100%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-4

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JG,

Apologies. Not meaning to hijack your thread.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fotis,

🦫

I have 4 of them. Some on my WBY's They are great highly recommend. With Vortex I only use the Razor series. Probably overkill but.......

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I used the 150 ABLR in my old Tikka with 26 and man, it shot like crazy right over 3K. Other rifles I have not been so lucky with, but that rifle, man, it would shoot them!

Sorry to sidetrack the post, but I figured I'd throw this up since it's what we're measuring the PRC up against. I wouldn't be scared of trying H4831, Magnum, or even RL16/H4350, etc since they'll all likely get into the 2900 range I'd think.

Nice. Poke an critters with the 150ablr?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am averaging 2897 fps in my 26" Bartlein 8 twust and Hornady factory 175 ELD X loads. No ejector marks, no clickers but try gunsmith used a larger reamer at the .200 line. Rest is SAAMI.

I will check velocity again but I won't be surprised if it speeded up as the barrel gets broken in. Happened before with other chamberings. My ballistic app is giving me 2925 per trajectory validation .

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
JG,

Apologies. Not meaning to hijack your thread.

🦫

No problem Beav - I want to hear about the Garmin!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Calvin
Nice. Poke an critters with the 150ablr?

Nope, sure haven't. I developed the load then eventually jettisoned the rifle for something else and I haven't tried them in my 70's. I don't think I'd be disappointed though, seeing how the 175's worked in a 7mm on stuff.

🦫

Great idea and I just happen to have one of them at home I got for a pistol that didn't end up fitting. Thank you

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Federal sent my some 7 PRC ammo loaded by their custom shop with the 170gr Terminal Ascent. Velocity is right at 2900 with a 22” barrel.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Woodhits
Federal sent my some 7 PRC ammo loaded by their custom shop with the 170gr Terminal Ascent. Velocity is right at 2900 with a 22” barrel.

I am betting that'll be a fan favorite bullet. All the rest of that line has worked like crazy on elk and deer for us. I'd love to get some of those 170's for the Mashburn when/if they ever make them as components.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fotis
Fotis,

🦫

I have 4 of them. Some on my WBY's They are great highly recommend. With Vortex I only use the Razor series. Probably overkill but.......

Thanks. I got a couple untested. One sits on a 7PRC the other on a 7WSM.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a small pelican case that I forgot about.

I bought a nice padded soft case with a cable pocket from Cole Tac. They had it for 15% off and free shipping on black Friday. Made especially for the Garmin.

Now to get the Garmin ! LOL. Don't have one yet. I am supposed to wait on Santa.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

No worries - I'm contributing to the sidetrack! I stopped at 60.0 and 58.0 gr RL26 in my Fieldcraft 270 with 150 and 165 ABLR's with these results:

I'm randomly getting a slightly sticky bolt and erratic grouping with the 150's. Some days it groups like the 165's and other days it's 1.5 MOA. I think I might be on the edge pressure wise and need to back down a bit. I'm using Starline brass which I know is heavier and may require a bit less powder.

Last edited by JGray; 11/27/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is some good shooting Scotty!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Woodhits

That load would be spectacular. I like the Federal line of bullets. Shot a few deer with the 30 cal 165 trophy bonded and they work great.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I used h4831sc and 180eldms to take my elk this year. I was at 2850fos from my 22" element.

I found two 8 pound cans of H1000 at a local shop Saturday for $340/8 pounder. Now that I have that extra 15 pounds of h1000 I think I'll switch to it. My rifle seemed to like it too and shot just as well as my h4831sc load did but showed a bit less pressure signs.

That shop got me in some trouble Saturday. They had several bullets for 50% off. What's a guy to do when they have 139g and 136g 6.5 lapua scenars for $26/100 but buy them all. They also had bunches of 308 eldms and eldx. Mostly just heavier ones from 195g up to 225g. I bought 16 boxes of the 225g so I'm going to have to get a 300 prc. I also got 3000 77g matchkings for $85/5000 and a bunch of 200g 44 cal xtps at $15/box.

I almost didn't stop in because it looked busy then that little stop cost mt about $3000. The only 7mm bullets left were 162g ssts for $20 and 154g interbonds for $35. I should have bought some of the interbonds. About 20 years ago I used 165g internonds in a 300 wsm and they killed stuff very well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So you saved money..... wink

At least that's the logic my wife always uses.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
One of the best threads I've read in a while. Thank you JG and everyone for the information.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
So you saved money..... wink

At least that's the logic my wife always uses.

I just tell my wife that ammo and components are better than money in the bank. She believes it after the last 3-4 panics.

Now I've got to figure out which 300 prc to get.

Bb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sherm_61
The ADG brass is great brass it stacks up right with Lapua
The 7 won't be immune to clicker problems either running the ADG without the back end opened up to .535 especially at the 2900fps. Manson even puts it on there website there reamers are saami except they have .535 at the .200 line

Interesting, I have a Manson 7PRC reamer that I bought shortly after the SAAMI spec was announced. Wonder if it falls in-line with the ".535 @ the .200 line".

I'll be interested to see what DeanA's results with the ADG brass are.

DeanA, what rifle do you have chambered in 7PRC?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What are the reaner issues going on with the 7 prc. A local shop said they had to return several 7 prcs to the manufacturers because the chambers were out of spec but they didn't elaborate on what it was. My element has been fine and shoots well.

Bb

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
What are the reaner issues going on with the 7 prc. A local shop said they had to return several 7 prcs to the manufacturers because the chambers were out of spec but they didn't elaborate on what it was. My element has been fine and shoots well.

Bb
Could be the same as the 6.5 and 300, If you reload and get about 4-5 reloads on brass start getting clickers withe the original sammi .532 reamer.
If you run nothing but factory ammo you will have no problem. Its seems to happen alot with ADG and Lapua but I know guys who have had it happen in Horny brass also. The fix is the PRC AW reamer, the AW stands for Alex Wheeler hes the one who came up with the .535 reamer that fixs the issue.
I had to do the same on my 30-28 Nos with ADG go from .552 to .554 to fix clickers.
If you look at saami specs they allow.001 tolerance i believe so if you have a reamer ground to saammi it could be .533 instead of .532 so it could be why there's some that don't have issue with horny brass.
I know when JGS sends me a print to approve for a reamer they say .0005 tolerance. I had a reamer ground from a previous reamer make i used that was .002 small at the .200 last time I used them because of previous issues and they wouldn't make good on it.

Last edited by sherm_61; 11/27/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sherm,

What does ‘clickers’ mean?

🦫

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The ADG and Lapua is thicker in the web area compared to Horny brass so as you resize them it work hardens. You can only get the them back to .531 a small base die won't even work alot of people tried because you can only squeeze a piece of brass so far.
I've had the same problem with the original Tod Kindler reamer design for 20 VT that was set up for Rem 221 fireball grass, then when Lapua started making 221 fireball brass and switch over then clickers started even the necks with the Lapua were thicker so everbodyvstarted opening up the .200 line and neck area if you wanted no turn.
I believe Alex released his print in late 2020 now JGS and Mansion build theres .535

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sherm,

🦫
Its at the very top of the stroke on your bolt when the primary extraction is trying to extract the case you get the sound of " click"and then it gets very hard to extract. If you hear a click its starting and only gets worse

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Eric Cortina has a discussion on his YouTube channel, Alex may on his website and there a bunch of discussion on the PRC clickers on Accurateshooter, LRH and LRO I know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sherm,

🦫
Its at the very top of the stroke on your bolt when the primary extraction is trying to extract the case you get the sound of " click"and then it gets very hard to extract. If you hear a click its starting and only gets worse

Thanks.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Some guys have polished out the back of there chamber and some have ran in an AW2 reamer by hand to fix the clickers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some guys have polished out the back of there chamber and some have ran in an AW2 reamer by hand to fix the clickers.

My plan from the start with my 7PRC was to run with box ammo. Due to the inconsistency I’ve been seeing from the ammunition. I’m heading in the roll my own load direction.

I will be paying attention for clickers, when I’m shooting my own stuff.

Is there an approximated round count when this issue may show up?

🦫

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
4-5 seems to be the number.
I'm sure we're you run it will matter on how many times also.

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I'd never heard the term 'clickers' before, until mentioned in this thread. I've been spending some time this evening reading up on the subject to educate myself. In the following partial quotes from my earlier posts, I mentioned 'slightly sticky bolts'. What I observed is exactly what has been described here as a 'clicker', not a heavy bolt lift.

Comparing to my 7 SAUM (24" barrel), 61 gr RL26 and 180 Scenars gives me 2920 fps and no pressure signs. 61.5 gr gives ejector marks and slightly sticky bolt. I haven't experienced a sticky bolt in the 7 PRC but felt I should stop where I did based on ejector marks. Not sure what to think - seems the 7 SAUM equals the 7 PRC with less powder. FWIW, I'm using ADG 7 SAUM brass vs Hornady 7 PRC brass.

In my initial load development with the 7 SAUM, I worked up to 62.5 gr RL26 with 180 Scenars in new brass (ADG) with good accuracy throughout the range of loads and no observed 'clickers'. I observed ejector marks and 'clickers' at 61.5 gr RL26 with my first run with once fired brass. I resized the once fired brass with a Redding neck die, so no body sizing.

I stopped at 60.0 and 58.0 gr RL26 in my Fieldcraft 270 with 150 and 165 ABLR's...

I'm randomly getting a slightly sticky bolt and erratic grouping with the 150's. Some days it groups like the 165's and other days it's 1.5 MOA. I think I might be on the edge pressure wise and need to back down a bit. I'm using Starline brass which I know is heavier and may require a bit less powder.

Same as in the 7 SAUM, 270 load development was in new brass (Starline). No observed 'clickers' in the new brass and good accuracy. I'm now working with once fired brass and observing 'clickers' and inconsistent accuracy with the 150 ABLR. I haven't shot the 165 ABLR in once fired brass. I resized the once fired brass with a RCBS full length die backed off the shell holder a touch.

It sounds like I need to revisit my die set-up and sizing process. I've learned a lot on this thread and want to thank everyone for all the great input.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
So is it mostly the PRC's that are prone to the clicker problem? The issue being that the chamber dimensions of the saami spec reamers are too tight near the base or at the .200 line on the print?

Is it because the brass doesn't expand enough for the size die to work it back down? So a little more clearance allows the die to sized fired brass down enough to get clearance after a bit of bounce back from the brass.

I had a lot of problems with my 7 lrm that Gunwerks chambered for me. They had just had their own brass made by Hornady and the necks were too thick for their throat on their reamer. The fired cases came out with the same neck diameter as loaded rounds. My dies then weren't moving the necks and I had tension issues and had pressure issues.

I couldn't get the first few guys at gunwerks to listen to me. One was the owners brother and he told me i didn't know what i was talking about. I even sent the gun back with a nice clean bore. They sent it back to me with a nice clean bore saying it shot great. Finally I spoke with the owner Aaron I think it was and he said he'd personally look into it. He was pretty sharp and understood that a .284 bullet in brass with .018 walls didn't have any clearence in a .320 neck. Eventually they admitted the necks on that batch of brass were too thick for their reamer. Which i figured out really quick. I didn't want to turn all my necks so I got rid of it at a big loss.

I had high hopes that that 7 lrm was going to be just what I wanted. I kind of have the same hope for my 7 prc. I haven't loaded any brass enough times yet to know if my prc is a clicker. What's unfortunate is that is seems like these problems could be avoided with a minor change to the reamer spec. Unfortunately in this industry I doubt any manufacturers will change their reemers. Especially since it's a reloaders problem.

I was just looking at what 300 prc I wanted to buy but now I'll probably go custom and have it chambered with a bit looser reamer.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 11/28/23.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just measured some fired brass and then sized it and measured again. I'm worried there may be some clickers in my future. At the .200 fired measured .531 and resized measured the same. New ammo was about .528 in that area. So I'm getting a bit of expansion but my die is not taking it back down any at that height. Once I get my brass fired a few times I may have a problem.

Typically I rarely used brass for more than 4-5 loads because I don't anneal the necks. But some brass is pretty expensive these days so I'm looking at the options for annealing and hoping to get more loads out of my cases.

Several of my custom rifles were chambered with minimum spec match type reamers. I often find that if my brass for them gets fired in a different rifle I can't resize them enough to get them to work in the custom. For example I had a 6.5 Creedmoor build right when the cartridge was announced. I sent a Bartlein 8 twist to stiller and had them chamber it on to one of their tac30 aw actions. The gun is incredible accurate but I shot some ammo I had loaded for it in a factory built gun. I then full length sized the brass but it will no longer work in the tac30aw. I even have a small base redding die that doesn't get the brass back to working in the custom. My 300 wsm on a predator with a brux barrel is the same way. Brass for those rifles stay with them. I had a good lot of Norma 300 wsm brass that I bought a bunch of and so I know if it's Norma brass it's for that rifle. My other 300 wsms are not allowed to use Norma headstamp so I can keep track and make sure tge brass wasn't fired in a different chamber.

I may have to rethink the whole min spec match thing. Sounds like your better off being a bit wider or at least wide enough that your die resizes the body a bit. It's really about finding a good match between a chamber and a sizing die so the body is sized as far down as possible at least a few thousandths.

Bb

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
WiFowler, I have a Fierce CT Rage with a 24" barrel.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

sherm_61, thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely be watching to see how the ADG brass runs in this rifle.

I use the Redding Master Hunter die set with a FL sizing die and micrometer seating die. Also use a Hornady Chamber Guide to check my re-sized brass in after reading about some of the reamer/chamber issues being found with the 7mm PRC. To date, every piece of re-sized brass slides right in, and out, of the chamber guide. A while back I picked up some Hornady once fired so that I'd have some brass to reload right away without the need to make my own empties. That once fired brass is the hardest I've ever had to push brass into a FL sizing die, really have to be sure it's well lubed! My press is a RCBS Rock Chucker my dad got back in the 60's. Haven't resized,and fired, brass from my rifle yet, but will soon. The reloads from that once fired I picked up, chamber, fire and extract without issue. But now that I've heard about "clickers", I'm sure my rifle hypochondriac will kick in! Lol!

More to follow as I get deeper into this. I've also picked up an excellent Gentry Mountain Rifle in 7x57 that I'm starting to mess with as well. I do have a schoolboy crush on most anything .284"!

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 11/28/23. Reason: Add info

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fierce might use the .535 reamer.
the brass you bought may have been shot in a .535 chamber explaining why it sized down harder gotta squeeze it more.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks! When I sized the very first piece of brass, it was hard enough that I double checked the sizing die that it was marked 7mm PRC! Lol! I'll get out a piece of the brass that's been fired in my rifle and "feel" how it sizes.

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 11/28/23.

NRA life member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Bb

Very interesting. I called Christensen Arms last week and chatted with a guy about the 7 PRC and discrepency in velocities with 175 gr bullets, brass issues, and "clickers". He said Hornady changed the dimensions on their reamer for the 7 PRC in Aug which should solve the issue - at least according to him. I didnt ask the particulars of "changing the reamer dimensions" but suspect it is what you guys are discussing. He indicated they are using the new reamer since Aug. I'm trying to locate a post-Aug CA .Mesa FFT in 7 PRC to stick my toes in the 7mm/high BC bullet game.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Interesting on the reamer. Good info. I think I am going to go as light as possible to partially offset a suppressor on the end of it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Bb

Very interesting. I called Christensen Arms last week and chatted with a guy about the 7 PRC and discrepency in velocities with 175 gr bullets, brass issues, and "clickers". He said Hornady changed the dimensions on their reamer for the 7 PRC in Aug which should solve the issue - at least according to him. I didnt ask the particulars of "changing the reamer dimensions" but suspect it is what you guys are discussing. He indicated they are using the new reamer since Aug. I'm trying to locate a post-Aug CA .Mesa FFT in 7 PRC to stick my toes in the 7mm/high BC bullet game.
Hmm wonder why IF they did change to wait 3 years.
Might want to confirm with Hornady, I would think they would have to send to saami for that but not sure.
I just looked on the saami sight and the 7PRC print still says .532-.533 and no revisions.
I've not heard anything of Hornady changing there PRC dimensions.

Last edited by sherm_61; 11/28/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a good idea. I'll give Horn a ring - but won't be real surprised if I get someone who doesn't know what a reamer is.......

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Bb

I hope you find one. Should make a helluva elk rifle.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I called Hornady and talked to a tech that seemed to know what he was talking about. He had no knowledge of Hornady changing the reamer dimensions. He did indicate he had seen cases of carbon buildup and a few lots of ammo that didn't meet pressure specs (on the high side). All told he indicated their pressure tested data with their amo should easily reach 2950 ish in 24 inch barrels all things being equal. I wonder if some if the rifle mfrs have a bit of freebore in their chambering causing pressure, therefore, velocity to drop?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds like the guy at Fierce didn't know what he was talking about.
Better to get it straight from the Horses mouth.
I doudt Horny gives a [bleep] as long as there factory ammo works

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I called Hornady and talked to a tech that seemed to know what he was talking about. He had no knowledge of Hornady changing the reamer dimensions. He did indicate he had seen cases of carbon buildup and a few lots of ammo that didn't meet pressure specs (on the high side). All told he indicated their pressure tested data with their amo should easily reach 2950 ish in 24 inch barrels all things being equal. I wonder if some if the rifle mfrs have a bit of freebore in their chambering causing pressure, therefore, velocity to drop?

This likely won't be the first or last time a manufacturer of ammo is way off on specs. Seems like Federal is running faster which in my little experience is always about right.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone tried VV N165?

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bergara Wilderness Hunter Sniper Gray Cerakote Bolt Action Rifle - 7mm PRC - 22in. Hornady Brass, 175 ELD-X, 100 Yds. 3 shot groups.

65 gr RL 26, fed 215 primer, COAL 3.29. Above

66.5 gr, VV N165, Fed 215 Primer, COAL 3.29. Below

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Both of them have some promise to em. Did you catch any speeds?

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, here in MN we had a heat wave today, 43 degrees. I ran out to the range over lunch hour. I knew the 26 would shoot well, had been shooting the N165 first. would like to tune it a little more. VV is $10.50a pound cheaper around here. Hopefully we will have another nice day sometime soon. Just picked up the rifle about a month ago.

F
F
Have you tried H1000 yet?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 338Rem
Anyone tried VV N165?
I know guys have had good luck with 565

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Used Ramshot LRT to move 175 Hornady ELD-X's at 2929 fps from a 22" Bartlein barrel.

The load was shooting into the .4's at 100 yards from the bench.

Sadly, I didn't get a shot at game with it this year.

Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by France1960
Have you tried H1000 yet?

Will try that next.

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm just starting to work with H1000 but haven't shot it
enough to form an opinion. Comparing to RL26 in the 7 SAUM and 7 PRC, initial impression is possibly a little better accuracy, and 100 fps less velocity at similar pressues.

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
ADG brass showed up just as we're packing for a trip to Hawaii. Threw together some H1000 loads with 180 ELDM's and ran out first thing yesterday (had to leave for airport at 2 pm).

Hornady data shows max with 180's at 67.4 gr H100 and 2900 fps in a 24" barreled. I shot 64, 65, 66 and 67 gr. Grouping really tightened up at 66 and 67 gr and 2797 and 2830 fps respectively. At 100 yds (I mislabeled as 175 ELDX):

New Arken EPL4 4-16 shot from initial bore sight without touching turrets to achieve zero. No clickers or stiff bolt lift, but very slight ejector marks at 67 gr, but damn this thing wants to shoot! I feel like 67.5 gr is doable and should be 2850'ish in a 22" barrel which jives with Hornady's data in a 24" barrel.

Will continue with RL26 in ADG brass in a couple weeks - aloha from the beach grin

Last edited by JGray; 12/03/23.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
ADG brass showed up just as we're packing for a trip to Hawaii. Threw together some H1000 loads with 180 ELDM's and ran out first thing yesterday (had to leave for airport at 2 pm).

Hornady data shows max with 180's at 67.4 gr H100 and 2900 fps in a 24" barreled. I shot 64, 65, 66 and 67 gr. Grouping really tightened up at 66 and 67 gr and 2797 and 2830 fps respectively. At 100 yds (I mislabeled as 175 ELDX):

New Arken EPL4 4-16 shot from initial bore sight without touching turrets to achieve zero. No clickers or stiff bolt lift, but very slight ejector marks at 67 gr, but damn this thing wants to shoot! I feel like 67.5 gr is doable and should be 2850'ish in a 22" barrel which jives with Hornady's data in a 24" barrel.

Will continue with RL26 in ADG brass in a couple weeks - aloha from the beach grin

Holy smokes. That gun does want to shoot! Thanks for posting that

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Just got home from a muzzleloader hunt and the ADG brass was waiting on me. Want to do some measuring of this brass, fired brass from my rifle, and sized brass from the Redding FL sizing die. The fired brass from my rifle is every bit as hard to re-size as the once fired I picked up.

NRA life member

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wow. That’ll be hard to whoop!

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those are smoking groups! Please keep us updated on the progress.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I ordered up Hornady Match Grade dies for my 7PRC and some ADG casings that delivered. I have 100 once fired casings that came from Horns boxed 175’s that were frustrating me.

I’m usually a Redding house, but I could get the Hornady dies faster than Redding dies. By almost a week. So, I rolled the dice….and lost.

Horn dies land. They look good, but I noticed they require a separate bushing for loading. Fugg, that. Make the bushing a part of the die set, I figured. I boxed them up and they’re on the way back now.

I ordered up the Redding dies, so now I wait. I got brass, H-1000, and a few different bullets to try. I’m going to start out loading up these…

I’am shelving my personal, ass-hurt, feelers for Bergers and hoping they fly great with solid consistency.

Laffin

🦫

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Beav, You thought about the Sierra 165Gr TGK? .610BC Vs Berger’s .618 and the other TGK’s seem to be getting a good reputation. I ordered a box to try in a .280AI im having built.

Last edited by jackmountain; 12/04/23.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Beav, You thought about the Sierra 165Gr TGK? .610BC Vs Bergen’s .618 the other TGK’s seem to be getting a good reputation. I ordered a box to try in a .280AI im having built.

Yes Sir, I do.

Jack, I have no first hand experience sinking these into a hide. Same for the 168gr Bergers, aside from a lot of glory stories I heard from guys that kill with Bergers.

Have you used the Sierra TGK’s before?

🦫

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Beav, You thought about the Sierra 165Gr TGK? .610BC Vs Bergen’s .618 the other TGK’s seem to be getting a good reputation. I ordered a box to try in a .280AI im having built.

Yes Sir, I do.

Jack, I have no first hand experience sinking these into a hide. Same for the 168gr Bergers, aside from a lot of glory stories I heard from guys that kill with Bergers.

🦫
Only the 90gr out of a .243. 75 yds on a 100lb WT, shoulder shot, exited. Heart was jello.
Deer are easy to kill though so not much of a test. Your elk hunting is way different than what we do.

Sierra bullets always give me great accuracy though.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Yes Sir, I do.

🦫
Only the 90gr out of a .243. 75 yds on a 100lb WT, shoulder shot, exited. Heart was jello.
Deer are easy to kill though so not much of a test. Your elk hunting is way different than what we do.

Sierra bullets always give me great accuracy though.

Fellow Mashburn shooter ran those 165 TGK's through an elk, no drama. Left a dead elk behind with an exit. Seem pretty tough to me.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Roger that, Scotty!

Good to know a Wapiti isn’t immune to them.

Mortality matters!

Grins

🦫

“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
ADG brass showed up, nice stuff! Want to try the Hammer HHT 170gr first, so found some data for H4831, H1000 and Retumbo and loaded 5 each with the 15 bullet sample pack from Hammer. Found a replacement chronograph at Optics Planet, a Garmin Xero C1 Pro, that was stated as being in stock when ordered. 3 days later, received a back order email! So thinking by the time they went to fill my order, they were out of them. So, no shooting until that arrives. For factory ammo, I have Hornady 175gr ELD-X and 180gr ELD-M, and thinking I might pull some of those and load them in the ADG brass to compare with the factory loads. Also found some 190gr Berger Hybrids that have me thinking...

NRA life member

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
2850 fps average out of factory ELD-X for me today.

First 20 rounds through a 26” barrel, Remington 700 Long Range.

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
About what I'd expect - around 125 fps more in a 26" vs 22" barrel. 30'ish fps/inch of barrel...

Last edited by JGray; 12/15/23.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I emailed Lapua today about the possibility of them offering 7 PRC brass, & if so, when. The answer was, no knowledge ad of yet. ADA & some Petersen floating around, but Lap is still the chit in my book.

Primers for the PRC, ?? Magnum? At ~66-67 grains of powder, I guess so. I like match for an application I have in mind, but finding match magnum, yeah right.

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm using Fed 215M in mine...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
About what I'd expect - around 125 fps more in a 26" vs 22" barrel. 30'ish fps/inch of barrel...

Most people seem to be reporting 2850 from their 22” barrels - specifically with the 175 ELD-X.

Last edited by Ramsdude47; 12/16/23.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
ADG brass showed up, nice stuff! Want to try the Hammer HHT 170gr first, so found some data for H4831, H1000 and Retumbo and loaded 5 each with the 15 bullet sample pack from Hammer. Found a replacement chronograph at Optics Planet, a Garmin Xero C1 Pro, that was stated as being in stock when ordered. 3 days later, received a back order email! So thinking by the time they went to fill my order, they were out of them. So, no shooting until that arrives. For factory ammo, I have Hornady 175gr ELD-X and 180gr ELD-M, and thinking I might pull some of those and load them in the ADG brass to compare with the factory loads. Also found some 190gr Berger Hybrids that have me thinking...

Optics planet is notorious for that. I have had it happen with two alpha scopes and a bow sight. I've learned my lesson.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Well, I ordered up Hornady Match Grade dies for my 7PRC and some ADG casings that delivered. I have 100 once fired casings that came from Horns boxed 175’s that were frustrating me.

I’m usually a Redding house, but I could get the Hornady dies faster than Redding dies. By almost a week. So, I rolled the dice….and lost.

Horn dies land. They look good, but I noticed they require a separate bushing for loading. Fugg, that. Make the bushing a part of the die set, I figured. I boxed them up and they’re on the way back now.

I ordered up the Redding dies, so now I wait. I got brass, H-1000, and a few different bullets to try. I’m going to start out loading up these…

I’am shelving my personal, ass-hurt, feelers for Bergers and hoping they fly great with solid consistency.

Laffin

🦫

The bushings aren't included because it is impossible to predict what size bushing you will want or need. Some folks want 0.002" of neck tension. Some want 0.003" and so on. Some folks are using Hornady brass, some folks are using ADG or Peterson. Then consider what bullets the person is running. All of it matters in bushing selection. Most folks buy a range of bushings and see which gives them the best results.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Different bushings make a big difference in tuning a load, I dont use mandrels or expanders on my brass but my necks are turned.
Get out to 600 or more and test it will make you a believer

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Email B/O notice was 2 weeks.... got a call from OpticsPlanet, now the B/O is 4 months! So looking around again...

Lesson learned.

NRA life member

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Ramsdude47

Most people seem to be reporting 2850 from their 22” barrels - specifically with the 175 ELD-X.

Regarding 2850 in 22" barrels - factory ammo or hand loads? Beaver10 and I both got closer to 2700 in factory ammo, whereas I'm finding 2850 is doable with hand loads.

To clarify - 2850 with factory ammo sounds about right in a 26" barrel as compared to the factory ammo at a little over 2700 in my 22" barrel...

Last edited by JGray; 12/17/23.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'd think if factory is running 2700, it would not be easy to hit 2850 without some unseen signs of pressure.

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by drop_point
I'd think if factory is running 2700, it would not be easy to hit 2850 without some unseen signs of pressure.

I got 2726 with factory 175 ELDX, and think Beav might have been a little less, but don't recall without going back to his 7 PRC thread. 67 gr H1000 gave me 2830 with the 180 ELDM and the best accuracy I've seen so far. Hornady data lists 67.1 H1000 as max for the 175's and 67.4 as max for the 180 ELDM. Based on my fired cases, I'm fairly confident I can safely get to 2850 in my 22" barrel with the 180 ELDM and H1000. Over 2900 should be safely doable with RL26.

Case head on Hornady factory 175 ELDX is .529 before firing and .532 after. ADG with 67 H1000 and 180 ELDM is .530 before and .533 after firing. .003 case head expansion on both. Fired brass comparison:

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Good info JGray, thank you. Redding responded to my query regarding the amount of "efort" required to size fired cases. They said the PRC "family" is experiencing that across the board, and recommended a specific lube/wax. As soon as I can get back to it and look it up, I'll post what Redding recommends.

NRA life member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm getting 2,850 with factory 175 ELDX in a 21" bartlein 8 twist. suppressed. Barrel has less than 100 rounds down it so it may speed up a bit. will update once I get to 150 or so. not shooting as frequently so it might be a few months...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

I got 2726 with factory 175 ELDX, and think Beav might have been a little less, but don't recall without going back to his 7 PRC thread. 67 gr H1000 gave me 2830 with the 180 ELDM and the best accuracy I've seen so far. Hornady data lists 67.1 H1000 as max for the 175's and 67.4 as max for the 180 ELDM. Based on my fired cases, I'm fairly confident I can safely get to 2850 in my 22" barrel with the 180 ELDM and H1000. Over 2900 should be safely doable with RL26.

Case head on Hornady factory 175 ELDX is .529 before firing and .532 after. ADG with 67 H1000 and 180 ELDM is .530 before and .533 after firing. .003 case head expansion on both. Fired brass comparison:

Primer choice in the reload? And would anyone know what Hornady uses ?

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Using Feds in mine. One thing I noticed right away between Hornady and ADG, the ADG brass, as expected, WAY more consistent in seating both primers and bullets. The ADG is really nice to load! Just remember if using ADJ, treat it like military brass and start with lower powder drops. ADG states this.

NRA life member

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
All of my reloads have been with Fed 215M...

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
I'm getting 2,850 with factory 175 ELDX in a 21" bartlein 8 twist. suppressed. Barrel has less than 100 rounds down it so it may speed up a bit. will update once I get to 150 or so. not shooting as frequently so it might be a few months...

That's impressive based on what I'm seeing and a few others are reporting. I'm at about 150 rounds in mine so don't expect to see much change going forward. I seem to recall others talking about velocity in Hornady factory ammo varying somewhat, and pulled bullets from different lots of same ammo appearing to use different powder. Makes me wonder if Hornady is still getting their ammo dialed in and are changing things up a bit. That might explain some of the velocity variations being reported.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whew! It’s been a heckuva thing trying to go with boxed ammo for my 7PRC’s. After trial and error stemming from inconsistency in individual cartridges, from 25 different boxes, of Horn 175gr eldx ammo. I gave up and went to reloading my own.

The boxed 175 eldx ammo gave an average of 2767 FPS out of my 22” Seekins Element and 2828 FPS from a 24” tube on a Fierce rifle. I could reshoot another seven x 2 randomly selected cartridges, and my average speeds would change dramatically. What’s dramatically? 35-65 FPS spreads depending on what box I plucked a cartridge out of. Screw that!

I took my once fired Hornady brass. Did a FL resize. Shoved CCI #250 primers into them and poured 70gr of H-1000 down the hatch. Why 70 grains to start? I read several articles from on-line gun rags to forum post where guys were landing on 70grains as the sweet spot and without signs of pressure using 175’s.

I also decided to start fresh by dumping the idea of using 175gr eldx bullets. Instead I loaded up Berger 168gr VLD Hunting bullets. I also had 50 cases of new ADG brass land during this time that I also loaded up.

I PM’d my support staff of one - Jordan, to help me decide where I should start the powder load in the heavier ADG cases. The weight of Hornady cases was 233.6 compared to 244.6 for the ADG. Jordan, suggesting a 3.3 grain reduction in powder used in the Hornady cases as a start.

70 grains H-1000 in the Horn cases gave me speeds out of the Seekins rifle of 2838.5, 2832.5, 2844.6, and 2819 with an average of 2833.0 FPS

70 grains with the same above, but out of the Fierce rifle gave up 2907, 2,923, 2886, and 2891 with an average of 2902.3 FPS

No pressure signs. No tight bolt handle lift. No flattened primers. All good! Accuracy was good. It probably would have been great, if I didn’t have the sun directly in my scope, and I was paying closer attention to being precise in my shooting more so than looking for speed signs and pressure issues.

The ADG brass using same 168gr Berger bullet got 66.7 grains. Then 68.0 grains. Then 69.0 grains of H-1000.

Speeds for the Seekins rifle 66.7 gr. 2674.5 FPS. 68.0 gr. 2766.2 FPS 69 gr. 2810.0 FPS

Speed for the Fierce rifle. 66.7 gr 2754.0 FPS. 68.0 gr. 2823.0 FPS 69.0 gr. 2898.5

Zero signs or indicators of any pressure at these loads.

Chrono’d off the Garmin. Which, if you haven’t ordered one. You should. It’s awesome!

I bumped the next load of H-1000 into the ADG cases to 69.4 which should put me right in there, or there about’s. I hope to get a chance to shoot them tomorrow and be done with it.

My thoughts, whatever they might be worth. If you’re going to own a 7 PRC. You should probably be prepared to roll your own loads to maximize its potential.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Holy cow - sounds like the 7 PRC really put you through the ringer. You've more patience than I - I'd of punted long before. I think I'm really close to being dialed in with mine at 100 factory rounds and around 50 reloads.

I just loaded a batch with RL26 in ADG brass to compare accuracy and velocity to H1000, but could be perfectly content with my last go at 67 gr H1000 and 180 ELDM at 2830.

Was thinking the 7 PRC would be a step up from my 7 SAUM burning 5 gr more powder, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If my sub-1/2 MOA is consistent, I'm happy where I'm at with 180's at 2800-2850

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
My thoughts, whatever they might be worth. If you’re going to own a 7 PRC. You should probably be prepared to roll your own loads to maximize its potential.

🦫

That's the short answer to a very long discussion!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Still following - keep the info coming!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy cow - sounds like the 7 PRC really put you through the ringer. You've more patience than I - I'd of punted long before. I think I'm really close to being dialed in with mine at 100 factory rounds and around 50 reloads.

I just loaded a batch with RL26 in ADG brass to compare accuracy and velocity to H1000, but could be perfectly content with my last go at 67 gr H1000 and 180 ELDM at 2830.

Was thinking the 7 PRC would be a step up from my 7 SAUM burning 5 gr more powder, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If my sub-1/2 MOA is consistent, I'm happy where I'm at with 180's at 2800-2850

After digging up and out of my pit of issues. I see the promise of daylight just a shovel load away with the 168 Vld’s and H1000.

I’m glad I stuck with it. The two other rifles I use for hunting bigger furs are damn heavy to pack around. Both the Element and Fierce rifle are so much easier to hunt with without feeling like I’m giving up shooting distance for less weight.

I’d agree. You getting 2800-2850 fps for 180’s is a nice place to land. Now the next question is after reading the disturbing thread about Hornady Eldx horror stories. What knowledge does a guy need to lock away in his brain for field shooting at game animals near and far using Eldx or M bullets.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still following - keep the info coming!

LRAB’s work! As you already know, they are designed for LR shots. That’s where they shine, when impact velocity is slowed down. Closer shots? Meh,,,there's plenty of stories, good and bad, on their killing at close distances.

After 20 plus years of me being all about shooting the older Barnes TSX bullet on deer/elk with great satisfaction. I switched to Abonds, maybe 15 years ago.

The Accubond is my favorite bullet to hunt with. I just didn’t realize it wasn’t considered very sexy because of its low BC, until I started hanging around this damn place. 😳

🦫

“Molon Labe”
J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Now the next question is after reading the disturbing thread about Hornady Eldx horror stories. What knowledge does a guy need to lock away in his brain for field shooting at game animals near and far using Eldx or M bullets.

🦫

I've been following the ELDX thread with interest though they haven't been on my list to hunt with. In my 6.5 CM, the 143 ELDX shoots tighter than the 136/139 Scenar or 142 ABLR, but I've only hunted with the Scenar and ABLR.

I do have a few 175 ELDX's I bought here on the 'fire and will play with them at the range, but likely won't hunt with them. I have 1 box of 180 ELDM's I'm currently using for load development and would consider hunting with them. I have hundreds of 175 ABLR and 180 Scenars that will be my primary hunting bullets.

Last edited by JGray; 12/18/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Now the next question is after reading the disturbing thread about Hornady Eldx horror stories. What knowledge does a guy need to lock away in his brain for field shooting at game animals near and far using Eldx or M bullets.

🦫

I've been following the ELDX thread with interest though they haven't been on my list to hunt with. In my 6.5 CM, the 143 ELDX shoots tighter than the 136/139 Scenar or 142 ABLR, but I've only hunted with the Scenar and ABLR.

I do have a few 175 ELDX's I bought here on the 'fire and will play with them at the range, but likely won't hunt with them. I have 1 box of 180 ELDM's I'm urrently using for load development and would consider hunting with them. I have hundreds of 175 ABLR and 180 Scenars that will be my primary hunting bullets.

I am in the same boat. With as many 175 ABLR's and 180 Senars as I have, I don't feel like I am too far behind the 8 ball. The ABLR's have worked perfectly for me on elk. I can't hardly stand the thought of messing with the load.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

After digging up and out of my pit of issues. I see the promise of daylight just a shovel load away with the 168 Vld’s and H1000.

I’m glad I stuck with it. The two other rifles I use for hunting bigger furs are damn heavy to pack around. Both the Element and Fierce rifle are so much easier to hunt with without feeling like I’m giving up shooting distance for less weight.

I’d agree. You getting 2800-2850 fps for 180’s is a nice place to land. Now the next question is after reading the disturbing thread about Hornady Eldx horror stories. What knowledge does a guy need to lock away in his brain for field shooting at game animals near and far using Eldx or M bullets.

🦫
I watched a 180 ELD launched at 2930 fps from a 7WSM penetrate 4' of bull moose and exit on a 35-yard nearly frontal shot. That gave me some confidence in the bullet's ability to hold together and penetrate.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

🦫
I watched a 180 ELD launched at 2930 fps from a 7WSM penetrate 4' of bull moose and exit on a 35-yard nearly frontal shot. That gave me some confidence in the bullet's ability to hold together and penetrate.

I gotta admit I am interested in trying it on that account. Thats about max brutalness you can inflict on a bullet.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

The M's are sounding better than the X's.

On anything there's a trade off though. If it's penetrating 4' of moose, at 35 yards, while started at 2930 fps, what will expansion be like on a "big" buck's 18" (+/-) chest on a rib shot at 400 yards? Everything's a trade off...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

That's impressive based on what I'm seeing and a few others are reporting. I'm at about 150 rounds in mine so don't expect to see much change going forward. I seem to recall others talking about velocity in Hornady factory ammo varying somewhat, and pulled bullets from different lots of same ammo appearing to use different powder. Makes me wonder if Hornady is still getting their ammo dialed in and are changing things up a bit. That might explain some of the velocity variations being reported.

Yeah, I think Hornady is experiencing some issues with inconsistent lots of powder. Same with their 6.5 PRC loads.
I'm gonna start shooting the 180's to see what I get out of them.

Heck if I get a bull tag next year I might just slum factory ammo...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

Just finished another range session - went to 67.5 H1000 with the 180 ELDM in new ADG brass. Magnetospeed showed 2872 fps, no visible pressure signs, and this at 100:

Then moved to RL26 with the 180 ELDM in new ADG brass. Magnetospeed showed:

64 gr 2832 fps
65 gr 2849 fps
66 gr 2895 fps
67 gr 2956 fps w/ light ejector marks and just a hint of stiff bolt lift - hardly noticeable.

About pissed myself watching the group develop with the 65 gr load grin

Best accuracy seems to be around 2850 with both powders, though RL26 is capable of getting 2900-2950 with 1/2 MOA accuracy. Recoil is notably more with RL26 above 64 gr - enough that back of trigger guard is popping my middle finger. I hadn't noticed that previously with the H1000 loads.

Another 150 ADG cases arrived today...

Last edited by JGray; 12/21/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
WOW! That has to make you happy! Excellent speed for the 22" barrel and man, you cannot have much to complain about how both powders are shooting! Very nice.

I'll bet there are going to be a few copycats following your lead on this data. Great shooting.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In a word - DONE!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In a word - DONE!

Well summed up!

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd still shoot some 5-10 shot groups to verify but would have a hard time believing that rifle would start throwing big groups. I hope to get something close to that.

Spent last night annealing and resizing 7 RM brass. Will trim tonight and load up 175 ABLR, 65 to 70 grains of H1000, and 64-68 of Re26, in 0.5 grain increments to find pressure. Due to mag box constraints, I cant get to L&G with that long pointy bullet. I'll then load 3 at pressure for each powder and see what happens. I'd be tickled if it kept them at an inch on the first go......

Them 7mm, 175 gr ABLR sure look sinister. Driving them at 2900+ should make for good elk medicine.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd still shoot some 5-10 shot groups to verify but would have a hard time believing that rifle would start throwing big groups. I hope to get something close to that.

Spent last night annealing and resizing 7 RM brass. Will trim tonight and load up 175 ABLR, 65 to 70 grains of H1000, and 64-68 of Re26, in 0.5 grain increments to find pressure. Due to mag box constraints, I cant get to L&G with that long pointy bullet. I'll then load 3 at pressure for each powder and see what happens. I'd be tickled if it kept them at an inch on the first go......

Them 7mm, 175 gr ABLR sure look sinister. Driving them at 2900+ should make for good elk medicine.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Any idea how far off the lands they are in your Kimber loaded within the mag confines?

Is there a magazine block in their magazine?

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
0.035" of reaching L&G which isn't terrible.

It does have a small spacer, I'd guess ~ 0.150 - no way to get a Mashburn jammed in there.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
0.035" of reaching L&G which isn't terrible.

It does have a small spacer, I'd guess ~ 0.150 - no way to get a Mashburn jammed in there.

That's good news on the .035, cause I seat them .050 to start most of the time anyhow.

Damn, too bad it won't take a Mashburn. You just ignited my dream to make one off of that platform.

Semper Fi
J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I also shot the 175 ABLR with 67 gr H1000 and it didn't group as well as the 180 ELDM (just over 1 MOA). All have been seated .020-.025 off rifling. I understand the ABLR likes more jump so will seat deeper and try again. I'm anxious to see what the 180 Scenar will do as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks JGray! Please let us know how it goes. I've also gandered at the 180 Scenar - but bought several hundred ABLRs during the SPS sale at less than 1/2 price. Couldn't pass at that price.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Try the Nosler at .080” back from lands or even .10 back. They shoot well for me there.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have some .284" Berger 190gr Hybrid Target on the way to add to what else I have waiting for the Garmin. And I hope the Garmin shows up soon, I keep buying rifles to compensate for a chronograph being on backorder!

NRA life member

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I also shot the 175 ABLR with 67 gr H1000 and it didn't group as well as the 180 ELDM (just over 1 MOA). All have been seated .020-.025 off rifling. I understand the ABLR likes more jump so will seat deeper and try again. I'm anxious to see what the 180 Scenar will do as well.
What are you looking for?
After shooting that group using the ELDM bullets and 65gr R26, I'd call it quits....as long as you can back that up a few times with a cold barrel.

Life is good live it while you can.
J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks JGray! Please let us know how it goes. I've also gandered at the 180 Scenar - but bought several hundred ABLRs during the SPS sale at less than 1/2 price. Couldn't pass at that price.

I had a couple hundred 175 ABLR previously and just a got a couple hundred more with that same sale. I'm determined to make them work!

Last edited by JGray; 12/22/23.
J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
What are you looking for?
After shooting that group using the ELDM bullets and 65gr R26, I'd call it quits....as long as you can back that up a few times with a cold barrel.

Not looking for anything more - quite satisfied as is. Just want to see what other bullets will do...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great thread so far.

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Just finished another range session - went to 67.5 H1000 with the 180 ELDM in new ADG brass. Magnetospeed showed 2872 fps, no visible pressure signs, and this at 100:

Then moved to RL26 with the 180 ELDM in new ADG brass. Magnetospeed showed:

64 gr 2832 fps
65 gr 2849 fps
66 gr 2895 fps
67 gr 2956 fps w/ light ejector marks and just a hint of stiff bolt lift - hardly noticeable.

About pissed myself watching the group develop with the 65 gr load grin

Best accuracy seems to be around 2850 with both powders, though RL26 is capable of getting 2900-2950 with 1/2 MOA accuracy. Recoil is notably more with RL26 above 64 gr - enough that back of trigger guard is popping my middle finger. I hadn't noticed that previously with the H1000 loads.

Another 150 ADG cases arrived today...

Dang, that's a shooter! Don't listen to these nuts - "Shoot another one", "shoot cold bore", blah, blah... Cut that group out, fold it carefully and put it in your wallet! Don't shoot another group with that load for a couple months anyway laugh

Seriously, nice rifle. Those ones don't grow on trees.

Have you run the factory ELDM load over a chrono with that rifle?

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Not the ELDM - just the factory 175 ELDX at 2726.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

How many firings? Clickers usually show up around five or six firings with the other PRC cases with SAAMI reamers.

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
1st firing for both cases. The only clickers I've experienced were on the second firing of ADG brass in my 7 SAUM, and the second firing of Starline brass in a 270 Win. Both of those loads were fine in new brass, so am thinking it's a brass sizing thing.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
1st firing for both cases. The only clickers I've experienced were on the second firing of ADG brass in my 7 SAUM, and the second firing of Starline brass in a 270 Win. Both of those loads were fine in new brass, so am thinking it's a brass sizing thing.

Its usually pressure or its chamber dimensions. Seems VERY common they show up five or six firings.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not the ELDM - just the factory 175 ELDX at 2726.

Got it, thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After a large sample size of over 100 rounds, I am averaging 2880 fps out of a 26" bartlein barrel. My ES is 51 fps.

This is with Hornady factory 175 ELD X loads.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
After a large sample size of over 100 rounds, I am averaging 2880 fps out of a 26" bartlein barrel. My ES is 51 fps.

This is with Hornady factory 175 ELD X loads.
Hopefully accuracy is phenomenal, Hornady claims 3000 fps out of a 24" barrel with the 175 ELD X load.

Life is good live it while you can.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I think we've established that what Hornady claims, and what's being achieved, are 2 different things. Why I'm handloading for this cartridge. I do have factory Hornady 180 ELD-M and 175gr ELD-X ammo on hand for reserve. Hoping the backordered Garmin shows sooner than later, so I can get at it.

NRA life member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup. I am going to start collecting dies, etc. Have H1000 on hand.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I've loaded rounds using H4831sc, Retumbo and H1000 but not willing to burn powder yet until I know what they're doing...

NRA life member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not quite apples to apples but ran a pressure ladder with my 7mm RM this week with 175 gr ABLR. Reached 3035 with Re26, 2980 with H1000, and 2955 with Retumbo. I did break 3000 with Retumbo but had really stiff bolt lift so stopped short. 2955 is the highest vel w/o pressure signs. Also, the rifle is a Kimber Ascent and comes with a 26" barrel. My plan is to make it a 24" barrel - now that I know I can break 2900 with a 175, which was my original goal.

It would seem the 7 PRC, with almost identical case capacity as the 7 RM, should get close to 3000 ft/sec with a 175 in a 24" barrel.

Last edited by bwinters; 12/31/23. Reason: Corrected Retumbo vel

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Whacking off 2” of barrel should likely reduce your FPS about 50, IME. So you should easily break 2900 with those loads. A PRC with capacity virtually the same will do no better in same barrel lengths as your REM mag.
My 7 REM mag will do much the same as yours, given its 25” barrel. My Mashburns touch 3100 with that bullet in my 24” barrels, no pressure signs that I can detect but accuracy isn’t great. Backed down to 3050 or so and they group nicely. They seem to be a lot more finicky than regular Accubonds.

Last edited by John55; 12/30/23.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I also just picked up some Berger Hybrid Target 190gr to add to the mix...

NRA life member

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My RAR shoot factory 180’s at 2800 into groups like these, 24” snout.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1lessdog, 02bfishn, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,568
Posts18,491,848
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.