Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I followed DeanA down the ADG brass path this morning. I have a box coming to try against some once fired Hornady brass casings.

I’m also doing a bullet change out. Again, DeanA lead me to a sample pack of 170gr Hammer bullets I’m going to try along with some 168gr VLD Hunting Bergers. Heck, I’m certain I can at the very least generate some consistent velocity that I’ve been struggling to obtain from my boxes of Horn 175gr eldx ammo.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

**I used my Garmin Xero C1 Chronograph yesterday to check some early speeds on my Fierce 7PRC and Fierce Mini Rogue in 6.5 CM. There isn’t anything I hate about the Garmin Xero. For me, it’s a game changer just in portability and ease of set up.

It’s an extremely small unit - palm sized. Even my cell phone is bigger. It comes in a box with a charging cable and small legged tripod that screws into the bottom of the unit. You charge the unit for 4 hours after opening the box. Then you’re ready to set up for shooting.

The Garmin is feature rich with pairing to your cell phone via the Shotview App for those who like stored data on their phone. The unit also allows you to enter a specific bullet you’re shooting - if you want kinetic energy and power factor information. Or, go with simple choreographed speed, without the nuisance of bullet type being fired.

The Xero C1 is using Doppler like Labradar. One could assume Garmin has targeted Labradar users and hoping to take market share and then some from them.

The small unit is extremely easy to get setup and ready for capturing a fired round. I’m far from a tech geek, but where I would sometimes struggle remembering what I needed to do to get my Labradar on ready. I had no issues like that with the Xero C1. It’s very intuitive with simple button pressing to manage and maneuver through the screen.

Another feature of the Garmin, is there isn’t a time limit to get a shot off, like the Labradar would go into sleepy mode. Then you have to hit the button to wake it up. I hated that. I would always feel rushed to take a shot. My eyes were always looking to see if the orange light was still on the LRDR if I was taking longer to get comfortable. The Garmin just sits there waiting, almost indefinitely to capture your shot.

Positioning the Garmin, when using a rifle is a lot simpler than the LBRD. With the LBRD, you must remember where the unit needs to sit in relation to a naked muzzle, which is a different position than if you have a break or suppressor attached. I placed the Garmin where my barrel met the forend of the stock. Worked perfectly. No error reading. I would typically get one or more error readings from my LBRD.

The Garmin is a simple. Just point in the direction of the target (no alignment sight) just point it and place the unit 5” to 10” behind the muzzle on either side of the barrel. Readings from fired shots are fast. I don’t know if the readings on the unit appear faster than a LBRD or a MagnetoSpeed, but it’s an extremely fast reading.

For portability and set up on a shooting table. There’s no comparison to the Xero C1. It’s light as a feather, taking up little to no room on a bench. My LBRD was a PITA to get squared away on my bench.

Smaller is better. Lighter is better. Features are better. Set up for game on, is simpler. To me the Garmin kills the competition in everything that is important to me.

The only question is…How’s its long term durability going to be? That’s the unknown. Guessing I will find out over time.

I forgot. The Garmin does Bow, Pistol, and Airgun as well. With specific settings for each weapon.

I say get one.

🦫

Great info Beav. Mines on BO from Grafs, but all the stuff you mentioned is why I ordered one up. Pretty excited to use it.

I am thinking it is going to make a huge dent into others share of the market.

How's the battery consumption? Any issues for a normal few hour range trip?

Semper Fi
HR IC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGray
Originally Posted by bwinters
My 270 load keeps them inside 8" with a 10 mph wind out to 335 yards. The 7 PRC 175 ABLR at 2900 hits 8" at 380. If I wanted to run a 270/150 ABLR, it hits 8" at 365.

In the end, if I can get 2900 in a PRC with a 22" barrel, I'll stick my toe in the high BC bullet game. I do think a 175 gr 'more frangible bullet' gives a margin of error on the splash effect. In my mind, the ABLR may be better for what I normally run into.

I'm curious about your 270 load with the 150 ABLR. I'm also working with that bullet and RL26 in a 1:9 Fieldcraft and getting some inconsistent pressure signs.

In the 7 PRC, I've no doubt that 2900 with 175's is doable in a 22" barrel with RL26, but not sure about other powders.

I used the 150 ABLR in my old Tikka with 26 and man, it shot like crazy right over 3K. Other rifles I have not been so lucky with, but that rifle, man, it would shoot them!

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Sorry to sidetrack the post, but I figured I'd throw this up since it's what we're measuring the PRC up against. I wouldn't be scared of trying H4831, Magnum, or even RL16/H4350, etc since they'll all likely get into the 2900 range I'd think.

Last edited by beretzs; 11/27/23.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 270 load keeps them inside 8" with a 10 mph wind out to 335 yards. The 7 PRC 175 ABLR at 2900 hits 8" at 380. If I wanted to run a 270/150 ABLR, it hits 8" at 365.

In the end, if I can get 2900 in a PRC with a 22" barrel, I'll stick my toe in the high BC bullet game. I do think a 175 gr 'more frangible bullet' gives a margin of error on the splash effect. In my mind, the ABLR may be better for what I normally run into.

I'm curious about your 270 load with the 150 ABLR. I'm also working with that bullet and RL26 in a 1:9 Fieldcraft and getting some inconsistent pressure signs.

In the 7 PRC, I've no doubt that 2900 with 175's is doable in a 22" barrel with RL26, but not sure about other powders.

I haven't worked up a load with theb150 ABLR. My current load is Re under a 150 AB for a shade over 2900 from a 24" Kimber. Shoots a bit less than MOA with 5 shots.

Given the unobtainium nature of Re 26, I'd be inclined to use H1000.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
[quote=Beaver10]

Great info Beav. Mines on BO from Grafs, but all the stuff you mentioned is why I ordered one up. Pretty excited to use it.

I am thinking it is going to make a huge dent into others share of the market.

How's the battery consumption? Any issues for a normal few hour range trip?

Scotty, I’m not certain at this time. I only had the Garmin running for approximately 45 minutes. As of now, the unit isn’t showing any indication that the battery has any usage on it.

A guy could easily plug the charging cable of the Garmin into a portable battery and have ample time for a day at the range. I bought a block battery for the Labradar that I will use for the Garmin.

I would suggest buying a solid, hard case for the unit, tripod, and cable. I went with a Pelican Vault V100 for $45 bucks at Amazon.

Too me, it’s good money spent to protect this small unit.

Link..Copy and paste, I guess.

https://www.amazon.com/Vault-Pelican-Multi-Purpose-Equipment-Electronics/dp/B0B946VWWG/ref=sr_1_4?crid=IAC97DGGJ3ZC&keywords=PELICAN+vault+v100&qid=1701109667&sprefix=pelican+vault+v100%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-4

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JG,

Apologies. Not meaning to hijack your thread.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fotis,

How do you like your Vortex LHT scope?

🦫

I have 4 of them. Some on my WBY's They are great highly recommend. With Vortex I only use the Razor series. Probably overkill but.......

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I used the 150 ABLR in my old Tikka with 26 and man, it shot like crazy right over 3K. Other rifles I have not been so lucky with, but that rifle, man, it would shoot them!

Sorry to sidetrack the post, but I figured I'd throw this up since it's what we're measuring the PRC up against. I wouldn't be scared of trying H4831, Magnum, or even RL16/H4350, etc since they'll all likely get into the 2900 range I'd think.

Nice. Poke an critters with the 150ablr?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am averaging 2897 fps in my 26" Bartlein 8 twust and Hornady factory 175 ELD X loads. No ejector marks, no clickers but try gunsmith used a larger reamer at the .200 line. Rest is SAAMI.

I will check velocity again but I won't be surprised if it speeded up as the barrel gets broken in. Happened before with other chamberings. My ballistic app is giving me 2925 per trajectory validation .

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
JG,

Apologies. Not meaning to hijack your thread.

🦫

No problem Beav - I want to hear about the Garmin!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Calvin
Nice. Poke an critters with the 150ablr?

Nope, sure haven't. I developed the load then eventually jettisoned the rifle for something else and I haven't tried them in my 70's. I don't think I'd be disappointed though, seeing how the 175's worked in a 7mm on stuff.

🦫

Great idea and I just happen to have one of them at home I got for a pistol that didn't end up fitting. Thank you

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Federal sent my some 7 PRC ammo loaded by their custom shop with the 170gr Terminal Ascent. Velocity is right at 2900 with a 22” barrel.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Woodhits
Federal sent my some 7 PRC ammo loaded by their custom shop with the 170gr Terminal Ascent. Velocity is right at 2900 with a 22” barrel.

I am betting that'll be a fan favorite bullet. All the rest of that line has worked like crazy on elk and deer for us. I'd love to get some of those 170's for the Mashburn when/if they ever make them as components.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fotis
Fotis,

How do you like your Vortex LHT scope?

🦫

I have 4 of them. Some on my WBY's They are great highly recommend. With Vortex I only use the Razor series. Probably overkill but.......

Thanks. I got a couple untested. One sits on a 7PRC the other on a 7WSM.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a small pelican case that I forgot about.

I bought a nice padded soft case with a cable pocket from Cole Tac. They had it for 15% off and free shipping on black Friday. Made especially for the Garmin.

Now to get the Garmin ! LOL. Don't have one yet. I am supposed to wait on Santa.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

No worries - I'm contributing to the sidetrack! I stopped at 60.0 and 58.0 gr RL26 in my Fieldcraft 270 with 150 and 165 ABLR's with these results:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm randomly getting a slightly sticky bolt and erratic grouping with the 150's. Some days it groups like the 165's and other days it's 1.5 MOA. I think I might be on the edge pressure wise and need to back down a bit. I'm using Starline brass which I know is heavier and may require a bit less powder.

Last edited by JGray; 11/27/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is some good shooting Scotty!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Woodhits

That load would be spectacular. I like the Federal line of bullets. Shot a few deer with the 30 cal 165 trophy bonded and they work great.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I used h4831sc and 180eldms to take my elk this year. I was at 2850fos from my 22" element.

I found two 8 pound cans of H1000 at a local shop Saturday for $340/8 pounder. Now that I have that extra 15 pounds of h1000 I think I'll switch to it. My rifle seemed to like it too and shot just as well as my h4831sc load did but showed a bit less pressure signs.

That shop got me in some trouble Saturday. They had several bullets for 50% off. What's a guy to do when they have 139g and 136g 6.5 lapua scenars for $26/100 but buy them all. They also had bunches of 308 eldms and eldx. Mostly just heavier ones from 195g up to 225g. I bought 16 boxes of the 225g so I'm going to have to get a 300 prc. I also got 3000 77g matchkings for $85/5000 and a bunch of 200g 44 cal xtps at $15/box.

I almost didn't stop in because it looked busy then that little stop cost mt about $3000. The only 7mm bullets left were 162g ssts for $20 and 154g interbonds for $35. I should have bought some of the interbonds. About 20 years ago I used 165g internonds in a 300 wsm and they killed stuff very well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So you saved money..... wink

At least that's the logic my wife always uses.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
One of the best threads I've read in a while. Thank you JG and everyone for the information.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (2500HD, 5sdad, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 29 invisible), 2,014 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,976
Posts18,499,480
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.