Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"That dude on TBR is all over the board and makes statements that contradict reality from every else around the world."

I'm inclined to agree with you. I've read what he wrote about on the cartridges and bullets I use and more than once I've found what he said to the 180 degrees out of synch with my experience.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"That dude on TBR is all over the board and makes statements that contradict reality from every else around the world."

I'm inclined to agree with you. I've read what he wrote about on the cartridges and bullets I use and more than once I've found what he said to the 180 degrees out of synch with my experience.
PJ

Maybe you could site some of those examples for our benefit.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I found three old boxes of 180 grain .357 Nosler Partitions at a local mom and pop shop, that are no longer available. I want to use them in a 35-30 wildcat rifle (similar to the .35 Rem.), so I contacted Nosler about how fast I can push them. The response was, "there is no limit for that bullet out of a rifle."

Last edited by reivertom; 11/26/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's pretty typical of Partitions that are recovered.

Partitions are kind of hard to catch, but I have caught a few.

270 cal 130's on BIG mule deer, & 150 on an elk, up close & at a distance.

MM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

MWN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Nice bullet recovery but in all fairness you can kill a deer with just about any bullet ever made.

I've encountered a problem or two with bullets on deer: decent mule deer buck shot in the shoulder (broadside) with a 270 at 50 yards. Using a 150 grain Speer Grand Slam that had a complete jacket separation/breakup on the fore shoulder. The buck stumbled and then went downhill 200 yards into a hole that made it a real problem getting out (I was hunting by myself). Never used them again! Also had a 150 grain Speer out of a 30-06 that failed to penetrate a spine from a steep angle (canyon hunting near Kaycee, Wyoming). Instead the bullet deflected along the spine finally blowing out a bunch of hair on the rump. Yes, the deer was paralyzed but required a finisher after I hiked on down to it. I prefer my shots to be clean kills and expect a bullet to be able to penetrate some bone to get into the boiler room.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Originally Posted by PJGunner

PJ

Maybe you could site some of those examples for our benefit.
Scenars for one. Read his opinion on them then read the ongoing thread on here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MWN
Nice bullet recovery but in all fairness you can kill a deer with just about any bullet ever made.

I prefer my shots to be clean kills and expect a bullet to be able to penetrate some bone to get into the boiler room.

Yes, but your say that you want dependable, clean kills...............

You should switch to Partitions & you'll have better, more consistent performance, or at least Accubonds.

Also, I don't know what iteration of Speer GS's you had but there have been several...............the best by far were the 1st & 2nd iteration starting from around 1980 or so, as I recall.

Latter ones have not been so good.

Cup & core bullets are what they are & that's usually somewhat erratic.................pay your money, take your choice.

Partitions & AB's don't blow up.

MM

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Speer HotCors for the win.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
How do you break both shoulders and have a DTR by also hitting the spine?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

The Poor Man's Partition!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by MWN

I prefer my shots to be clean kills and expect a bullet to be able to penetrate some bone to get into the boiler room.

Yes, but your say that you want dependable, clean kills...............

You should switch to Partitions & you'll have better, more consistent performance
MM

MWN is the OP. You know, the guy that started this thread by posting pics of Partition he killed deer with.

LoL.

Nice pics though MM. Remarkably consistent looking for the weight and range differential.

Last edited by SupFoo; 11/26/23.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by reivertom
I found three old boxes of 180 grain .357 Nosler Partitions at a local mom and pop shop, that are no longer available. I want to use them in a 35-30 wildcat rifle (similar to the .35 Rem.), so I contacted Nosler about how fast I can push them. The response was, "there is no limit for that bullet out of a rifle."

They were partition golds. They had a steel cup inside over the lead core I believe. My 686 loved them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Well, OK, if you say so; I'll stay with Partitions & AB's, TSX or Hornady interlocks if I'm slumming.

I did use Speer GS's back in the time qhen they were good, also slept at a Holiday Inn one day last week too.

YMMV & obviously does.

MM

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
For deer?

Hahahaha!

All we used were PowerPoints and corelokts before we started reloading.

Them west side deers must be tougher'n hell.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ya can't overkill 'em......................

Can't over penetrate either, so I hear.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Ya can't overkill 'em......................

Can't over penetrate either, so I hear.

MM

Is that the pre-9/11 ammo or the post-9/11 ammo???

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (17Fan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,318
Posts18,487,346
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.