Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for suggestions for a lightweight (12 oz or less), basic hunting scope around 3-9x. Capped turrets, fairly simple reticle, etc.

I have a 2.5-8x36 VX3 that I may use but wondering if there's something else I should consider. Would actually like something 2-10 if there's a lightweight option out there.

Last edited by snowboardguy; 11/26/23.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 would work. The eye relief is a bit short on 9x but I've had no problems using one on a .30-06. And of course the Burris FF II 3-9x40 is a great value.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
not exactly sure on the weight , but it kind of screams simple verse fulfilled II ballistic plex..

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by snowboardguy
Looking for suggestions for a lightweight (12 oz or less), basic hunting scope around 3-9x. Capped turrets, fairly simple reticle, etc.

I have a 2.5-8x36 VX3 that I may use but wondering if there's something else I should consider. Would actually like something 2-10 if there's a lightweight option out there.

For the 3-9 portion of the question you just described a Leupold VX 2 or VX Freedom with duplex crosshairs for a reticle.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Have a few 2.5-8x vari-x III, one on a .376 steyr that’s been beat around, flown 5 times through airport gorilla baggage handlers, rode on ATV’s etc and never lost zero or failed. For its intended use, I haven’t felt the need to trade it out for anything else. Definitely not a Burris FFII. Trijicon 3-9x is a good option depending on use, I have one on a .223AI that gets back door garden pest control duty.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You just described the Burris FF II 3-9x40
Read the things Mr. Barsness has to say about them in the latest Rifle Looney News. They are wonderful scopes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for the Trijicon 3-9 x 40 Accupoint. Second focal plane. Weight 13.2 oz, some of the options have an illuminated center dot with a duplex type reticle. Dot does not need a battery. Adjustable brightness Fiber optic in daylight and a trijicon illumination in low light. My two scopes have the green dot which helps acquire an animal quickly. My 7 1/4 lb 338 RCM has one and is perfect for the type of elk hunting I do. It might be exactly what you are looking for. Europtic has them for $606 right now.

Last edited by Azshooter; 11/26/23.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Have a few 2.5-8x vari-x III, one on a .376 steyr that’s been beat around, flown 5 times through airport gorilla baggage handlers, rode on ATV’s etc and never lost zero or failed. For its intended use, I haven’t felt the need to trade it out for anything else. Definitely not a Burris FFII. Trijicon 3-9x is a good option depending on use, I have one on a .223AI that gets back door garden pest control duty.

+1

The only failures I’ve had with the Leupold 2.5-8x has been with every VX3 and above, roughly 7 scopes total failed between those models for me... The vari-x III’s I own have been bulletproof.

Trijicon Accupoint’s replaced the faulty VX3’s on up for me.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

This is intriguing. I haven't used maven products before but have heard good things.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Swarovski Z3 3-9x36

eBay = Swarovski Habicht A or AV 3-9x36

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Another vote for the Trijicon 3-9 x 40 Accupoint. Second focal plane. Weight 13.2 oz, some of the options have an illuminated center dot with a duplex type reticle. Dot does not need a battery. Adjustable brightness Fiber optic in daylight and a trijicon illumination in low light. My two scopes have the green dot which helps acquire an animal quickly. My 7 1/4 lb 338 RCM has one and is perfect for the type of elk hunting I do. It might be exactly what you are looking for. Europtic has them for $606 right now.

Consider this yet again another Vote for the Triji

Light
Tough
Simple
Fast

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I have one that over 10 years old and you can still see the dot after shooting time is legally over.....I just don't understand why Trijicon is the only company I know of that uses radioactive material to light their optics....all those companies that use batteries are decades behind in the technology aspect....I tried many years ago one of those battery junk scopes was glad to get rid of it and recoup my money....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Unless your particular scope is somehow "busted", you've already got the best o' the breed. Most all of us look for upgrades but IMHO there isn't one, you're already there. (Find something else to fix. :))

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Unless your particular scope is somehow "busted", you've already got the best o' the breed. Most all of us look for upgrades but IMHO there isn't one, you're already there. (Find something else to fix. :))

Tom

I realize you're probably right, just figured it was worth exploring.

I'm looking to replace a 3-9x33 vari-x compact that I actually really like other than the fact that the power adjustment ring is very stiff. Nothing worse than fumbling with magnification when trying to get a shot off.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by robthom
Swarovski Z3 3-9x36

Don't know what the OP considers "affordable," but the Z3 3-9x36 goes for around $800. In my experience most Americans who ask about affordable scopes consider around $500 maximum, and less is better.

I would not recommend a used Habicht A or AV, as had some bad mechanical luck with them, plus the turrets aren't sealed against moisture.

In my experience the Burris FFII and Vortex are good to go. The only way they don't quite meet snowboardguy's criteria is they weigh around 13 ounces.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 25aught6

Consider this yet again another Vote for the Triji

Light
Tough
Simple
Fast

One more vote. Was just up in the woods, that green dot is awesome.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love Fullfields for the bargain they are but you already have something that fits the bill.

I wouldn't remove my Vx-3 and replace with one of my Fullfields.

If you just want to try something else for newness' sake go for it. Heck we have all done it. Justifying just clouds things. I would just be surprised if you would think it worth it in the end.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Swarovski Z3 3-9x36

Don't know what the OP considers "affordable," but the Z3 3-9x36 goes for around $800. In my experience most Americans who ask about affordable scopes consider around $500 maximum, and less is better.

I would not recommend a used Habicht A or AV, as had some bad mechanical luck with them, plus the turrets aren't sealed against moisture.

In my experience the Burris FFII and Vortex are good to go. The only way they don't quite meet snowboardguy's criteria is they weigh around 13 ounces.

What vortex?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Swarovski Z3 3-9x36

What vortex?

Was about to ask the same question. Been leery of the cheaper vortex’s

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 160user, 22250rem, 47 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,709
Posts18,475,378
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.