Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
On Saturday my buddy was cleaning his reloading/gun room. He had a 10/22 that he said always seems like it is in the way so I offered him $150 for it and he took it. It’s the gimmicky “tactical” model with the plastic stock. It’s ugly as sin so I’d like to use the action to put together a fairly lightweight package. It will be for plinking, squirrel hunting and varmints that come in the yard. I have never dealt with the 10/22 so I’m looking for input on the following:

What barrels do you all like? Looking for accuracy and lightweight

What stock do you like? Seems kind of hard to find lightweight stocks. I want to avoid a chassis.

What’s the best trigger?

Any other parts needed for my intended use? I read a lot about different bolts and such, but don’t know how deep I need to get into that.

Any info is much appreciated and other input on anything I’m missing. Thanks!

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Stock = MagPul
Barrel = Kidd, Green Mountain, Feddersen, etc.............there are several good ones
Trigger = Kidd, Ruger BX, etc.............several other good ones

Good luck! It can get pricy!!! lol

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Once you start down the 10/22 upgrade rabbit hole it can get expensive in a hurry - it may end up being the most costly "cheap" gun you have bought. grin

Maybe try shooting it before starting upgrades, occasionally they do shoot well enough without a lot of money being put into them. If it does shoot well enough then you could put it into a stock that you like more than the tactical style.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Razorhog
Stock = MagPul
Barrel = Kidd, Green Mountain, Feddersen, etc.............there are several good ones
Trigger = Kidd, Ruger BX, etc.............several other good ones

Good luck! It can get pricy!!! lol

So it seems it can lol. Any favorites of the components you listed?

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by drover
Once you start down the 10/22 upgrade rabbit hole it can get expensive in a hurry - it may end up being the most costly "cheap" gun you have bought. grin

Maybe try shooting it before starting upgrades, occasionally they do shoot well enough without a lot of money being put into them. If it does shoot well enough then you could put it into a stock that you like more than the tactical style.

drover

But what fun would that be lol. I look at it like the savage 110 I bought when I was 13. Bought it new for $200. Always shot great, but now it has a shilen barrel, b&c stock, timney trigger, etc. Just want some thing to tinker with. The gun does shoot pretty good even as is but I guess I’m just looking for something different. Not worried about the money part (within reason of course)

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put together a heavy-ish Kidd a while back, and love it. I’m planning a light one too, because they are too much fun.

Kidd ULW, Kidd SS trigger and Hogue stock will be on my next build.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
If you start with a Target or Competition version you can cost effectively take a 2 MOA shooter to a 1 MOA. But to get to a .75 to .50 MOA you will pay dearly.

At the end of the day, if you want a real tack driver, choose another platform and spend north of $2,500.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Use your action to save money if you’d like.

Then go KIDD lightweight bbl. KIDD trigger and bolt.

Mine is a heavier build so I can’t suggest a lighter stock, but people seem to love their Houge stocks for a reasonably priced option

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by shelton573
Originally Posted by drover

drover

But what fun would that be lol. I look at it like the savage 110 I bought when I was 13. Bought it new for $200. Always shot great, but now it has a shilen barrel, b&c stock, timney trigger, etc. Just want some thing to tinker with. The gun does shoot pretty good even as is but I guess I’m just looking for something different. Not worried about the money part (within reason of course)

Yep, I understand that itch. I've had it many times myself, theres nothing left to do but scratch it.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another option, for the uses you stated, would be to send the factory barreled action to Randy at CPC.

For hunting and plinking he might can get you what you want, for a whole lot less.

Kidd barrels will shoot though. With decent ammo, mine will consistently keep 5 shots under a penny at 50 yards. If I’m having a good day, with Tenex or Center-X, groups are pretty impressive. I shoot more Tac22 than anything, and it does well too.

Not sure I could do better with a super high dollar rig.

Top group Lapua, others Norma. Typical groups for this rifle, with me shooting it:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Holston
Another option, for the uses you stated, would be to send the factory barreled action to Randy at CPC.

For hunting and plinking he might can get you what you want, for a whole lot less.

Kidd barrels will shoot though. With decent ammo, mine will consistently keep 5 shots under a penny at 50 yards. If I’m having a good day, with Tenex or Center-X, groups are pretty impressive. I shoot more Tac22 than anything, and it does well too.

Top group Lapua, others Norma. Typical groups for this rifle, with me shooting it:

Nice shooting! What kids barrel do you have?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
20” standard/heavy.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Shelton
I like Kidd lightweight stainless fluted barrels but pretty much anything Kidd built is really good. You need to determine what you want to do with the rifle and then go from there. As drover, myself and others have stated you can really spend alot in a hurry as I know first hand. LOL. Good luck with the build. Let us know how it goes.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shaw barrels don't get a lot of play in the 10/22 aftermarket world, but they are good barrels. Last time I visited their site, they had a good sale going on them.

For me it was a Shaw Barrel at $110, a BX Trigger at $60 and a B & C stock at $180.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a rifle that’s not a tank, I put my Clark 16” SS bull barreled action in a MagPul stock. It stays compact even with the can.

Now with even more aplomb
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
That 150 just turned into 500.

I've done several builds. My favorite though was done with a GM sporter fluted barrel 16.5in with a brimstone tier 2 trigger. Sits in a birch sporter stock that I action bedded. Stripped that paint off the receiver they do on the new ones now to bare metal and sealed with deft sanding sealer. I wouldnt worry about replacing the bolt, but i install an upgraded extractor and firing pin like a VQ or kidd.

I had a heavy barrel kidd, it was a shooter, sold it and went with the kidd ultralight and it doesnt shoot near as well for me.

I like the magpul stocks, I have the take down version on one. Hogues have a good feel also.

Last edited by killerv; 11/28/23.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Holston

Randy at CPC is an absolute guru with the 10/22. I have a rifle worked on by him and would put it against anything on the market.

Irish... by the Grace of God.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Shaw barrels don't get a lot of play in the 10/22 aftermarket world, but they are good barrels. Last time I visited their site, they had a good sale going on them.

For me it was a Shaw Barrel at $110, a BX Trigger at $60 and a B & C stock at $180.

Glad you had good luck with Shaw. I gave up on them years ago in their centerfire line. Barrels had significant tool marks and were not particularly accurate. I've had factory barrels that were smoother and more accurate. Krieger, Shilen, and Hart (in that order) won my business for center fire.

When it comes to rimfires, Kidd and Volquartsen are the 800 pound gorillas to beat. Green Mountain is also a worthy upgrade. I would start with a barrel first on my accuracy quest then look at a good single stage trigger. The rest is just expensive upgrades without significant gains.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 11/28/23.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd be buying a Beyer Barrel. They are a lightweight aluminum body over the steel barrel.
Bull barrel contour with a fraction of the weight and they shoot very well! 13-18 Oz depending on length.
Link here

The 30% off sale on E R Shaw 10-22 barrels is only for 2 more days.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Five shot group from Ruger factory barrel after Randy at CPC had put a match chamber in it. This is at 50 yds with Federal Automatch Walmart Fodder that was run through a Neil Waltz die …
Guy knows his Rugers

Attached Images
IMG_4745.jpeg (33.99 KB, 211 downloads)
Last edited by Malaga; 11/28/23. Reason: 50 yds

Irish... by the Grace of God.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (12344mag, 219DW, 222Sako, 204guy, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,298
Posts18,487,062
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.