Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Doug.
I value your expertise greatly and have bought a boatload of high end optics from you and Neal and your crew. The hunting world is blissfully negligent on learning what would be the best digital camera system that could be used beyond our cellphones for regular pictures, landscapes, night photography and video. I am wondering, and I know that today is the busiest day of the year, if you could find some time to go over three levels of cameras that might be useful for hunting and the outdoors.

1) Point and Shoots- Simple digital cameras that are extremely durable but give a decent picture. Taxidermy is getting so expensive that this may be the new way to record our outdoor journeys.

2) DSLRs and APS-C Mirrorless Cameras- These are cameras that every hunter should have one. But which one? Nobody in the hunting industry gives much for education on this stage and I believe that you are uniquely qualified to provide for us what we need to jump into this level.

3) Full Frame Mirrorless- I have always been that dude that doesnt get the base model but doesn't get the marquee, status model either. How do I get the best bang for the buck. Now I am in Alaska and love the Aurora so that pushes me into Sony country more because of their excellent low light sensors. But for all of us, what would you do if you were me and looking to spend 2K on getting a pretty good set up. This is all in lenses as well as the camera so I know that this budget is a little light.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good afternoon. Doug's brother Joel here. I run the photo side of the business.
I could write a book on this. However I will give you enough info to make a decision

Point and shoot.
This is simple. The Olympus Tough TG7. That's it. The manufacturers are gradually exiting this category. The Olympus can be dropped and drowned. Panasonic, Sony and Nikon have left this style of camera.

DSLR's are becoming extict. Nikon makes 1, that will be gone when they run out, not fixing most on the used market. Canon makes 3 professional cameras and by the end of 2024 they will exit the DSLR market. Sony, Panasonic and Olympus ONLY make mirrorless.

Canon has a HUGE selection of mirrorless starting under $500 for crop sensor and go up to professional full frame models. Nikon has crop sensor that are a little pricey for what they offer and a lot of full frame that are excellent. The Z5 with the 24-200 is amazing for hunters and birders.

Feel free to reach me at 516-217-1000 to discuss the best options for your needs as 1 wheel does not fit every card

Happy to help

Joel

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Joel thank you for that. What would be a decent discussion of the Big Three- Nikon, Sony, Canon for both crop sensor and full frame be like? What would be entry, mid-level, and top level cameras for those brands? Would you add Lumix to the mix?

Last edited by kaboku68; 11/27/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Joel, what would you recommend for a durable, digital Rangefinder such as the Fugifilm X100S for hunting and the outdoors. Leica is too expensive. - Thanks!

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/27/23.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Things have changed drastically in the photo industry. The "Big 3" are now the Big 4. Canon (By far), Sony and then Olympus/Nikon. When you look at wilderness and birding photography in crop sensor cameras then Olympus is #1 by far. Panasonic is catching up very quickly. We hope to be a Panasonic dealer again in early 2024. I don't have enough info to bring them into this conversation yet as this time of year leaves little time to "study"

The most popular set up is the Olympus OM-5 with the 14-150mm (28-300mm in full frame) Both the camera and the lens are weatherproof. Most of the competition in crop sensor are not. Sony crop sensor lenses are not and most of their bodies are not. Same with Canon.
The Olympus also has the BEST image stabilization, focuses the fastest and is the smallest and lightest. Very helpful when you are back packing and every ounce counts.
Any of the crop sensors will produce fantastic poster size prints.

In full frame the best value is the Nikon Z5 with the 24-200mm lens. Excellent image stabilization, weatherproof and has dual memory slots. Lots of video options as well

Fuji is an excellent product.The problem with the X100 series is availability. The current version, the X100 V is amazing. In the last year, with about 20 on order we have received 5. The rumor is a new model is coming. If you can get one it's great for trophy shots, street shooting and vacation shots. Not good for wildlife due to short focal length

If you go to the higher end cameras then Sony comes into play. The A7 mk 4 is an awesome camera as is every full frame they make. Full featured, excellent video features and the Sony glass is as good as anyone out there with so many options. The Canon R6 Mark 2 and the Nikon Z6 II and Z7 II are excellent and the new Z8 is amazing. Canon has a huge selection of RF (Mirrorless) lenses and Nikon is growing their Z (mirrorless) lens selection on a regular basis. Both Canon and Nikon have adapters that will allow you to use their DSLR lenses with out any feature loss.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions I am happy to answer. Any pricing questions please call me at 516-217-1000 due to the camera companies pricing rules they only allow full retail in print. I am always happy to discuss the forum pricing

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Joel.

Reading all that is like taking a mini course in photography.

Keeping up with a rapidly changing industry sounds like a full time job.

DF

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My pleasure. Happy to help in any way

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Thank You Joel. When I get my little camera fund together. I ll call.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,983
Posts18,499,770
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.