Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I tried this up in the Winchester Collectors forum, but didn't get much response so decided to repost here.

I have my inherited Winchester M69 22 rimfire rifle that belonged to my grandpa and then my dad and now me. It's really a cool little rifle that I'd like to get shooting. All looks good to me but upon cleaning the bore and inspecting it, I found that it only has remnants of rifling left in it. It appears that the stock has been refinished since it is in absolutely pristine condition. I wish I knew if my Dad refinished it or not, but I'm pretty sure someone did. I haven't shot it yet, but based on the condition of the bore, I don't have much hope for it. So...I got to wondering about relining the barrel. I don't think this should be a big deal since its collector value is low with the refinished stock. Does anyone know a smith that might do the relining for me? Any other words of advice?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, shoot it first before doing anything else. Also, instead of relining the barrel, which may or may not result in a satisfactorily shooting rifle, look for a replacement barrel. These come up quite often on ebay, Numrich, and gun sites for cheap money.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, might (probably) be cheaper to scare up another barrel.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If the lining is done correctly and you have the complete gun, a lining of an old 22 single shot barrel is the correct way to preserve a family history piece, not re-barreling it. If you rebarrel and then refinish it to like new, exactly what is left of the family history, not one single thing.

If you know someone with a lathe, a liner drill and liner is fairly cheap, a 22 RF chamber reamer, can be had. You re-crown with a recess and put the line in the cut, same with the rim cut. Use black Acraglass Gel to afix the liner. You coat, turn, push with a wood block, it self centers the full length, markings and history is retained.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have 3 .22 rifles we found in Uncle Harolds attic when he passed,a Stevens Favorite,a Stevens Crackshot,and a Remington Rolling Block Model 6.All three barrels look like sewer pipes,all need a re-line.
If anyone knows of a gunsmith that does re lining,i would appreciate it.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The thing with used barrels is that it's a crap shoot as to whether the replacement barrel will shoot. Gotta ask yourself why the barrel was replaced, good shooting barrels are seldom replaced. Whereas I have relined barrels the traditional soft solder way and also epoxied them, never had one that wouldn't shoot.

Last edited by gunswizard; 11/29/23.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Before you reline make sure the barrel isn't just badly leaded up. I inherited a 67 that looked terrible till I scrubbed it good.......ribbons of lead came out with the brush and the actual bore looked pretty good

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Rapier
If the lining is done correctly and you have the complete gun, a lining of an old 22 single shot barrel is the correct way to preserve a family history piece, not re-barreling it. If you rebarrel and then refinish it to like new, exactly what is left of the family history, not one single thing.

In such instances I've stashed the old crappy barrel with a tag on it denoting what it came off of, for posterity. Future owners can make of it what they will after acquiring it. My judgement about such things is clouded by the fact I have no family whatsoever to whom I'm leaving my guns (or much of anything else). No rancor involved, there simply aren't any - I'm the Last of the Mohicans. In the meantime I opt for doing what's most expeditious with my guns - they're mine for my enjoyment alone! When I'm dead I won't care one whit either way.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for all the replies. Well, before I reline I will definitely do some more scrubbing of the barrel to make sure it isn't just leaded, but my initial efforts show that the barrel is just shot. I do not want to rebarrel, since I want to retain as much originality of the rifle as I can. I've also seen the videos of relining barrels yourself and read some of the horror stories of how they didn't turn out very well. Therefore, I'd rather find a gunsmith that has experience doing this and turn the rifle over to him. If anyone knows of a smith that does this for rimfire rifles, I'd appreciate you proving his name and/or his contact information.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have several friends that have used Brockman's in Gooding Idaho, with no complaints whatsoever.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Randy Redman, it’s all he does. But, he is busy.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Maybe contact John Taylor at Taylor Machine, Lewiston, ID. He's done a gazillion liners.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks! Much appreciated.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
John Taylor is excellent.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 204guy, 26 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,079
Posts18,501,616
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.