Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I've never studied combat wound trauma, but I'd say the medical experts have no clue...I'd bet a thousand guys here on the fire have completely shredded a deer or elk heart...and watched in astonishment as the animal ran away for considerable distances...not stumbling, staggering...in a well coordinated normal looking run. I read where the cop had a .45, supposedly a manstopper.
My SIL used to haul livestock, the law dictated that injured animals be put down ASAP to alleviate suffering, the .22 to the brain was the no drama, no rodeo, method used by everyone in the industry.
Even though head and spine shots under stress are very difficult to make...I wonder if in training there should be more emphasis on brain/spine shots rather than center mass? I wonder what SWAT training identifies as the primary target? Or stick with massive trauma by
just going back in history, the .476 Webley hollow base-hollow point was reported to be the 'right stuff' for thuggee types high on hash...it must have been effective, it was disallowed at the Hague convention of 1899.

Putting down injured livestock, and stopping an aggressive attacker, are two very different situations.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look really closely at where the pistol is actually pointing. Looks to me as if most, if not all, of those shots went below the ribcage and sternum. Too low.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Well, he fired until the threat was down. I think he did ok.

Shooting at an advancing moving target, swinging a long stick at him, while the officer was walking backwards and ducking that stick.

I don't think the brain shot would be as easy as one might think, even at close range.

Interestingly enough, the perp drops the stick after the first shot. The stick also breaks twice as he is swinging it, suggesting that the stick was quite decayed and soft.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
hallowlujah

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I wonder if it was a .45 GAP?

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't know....it seems like this was discussed like 3 years ago when it was posted the first 6 or 7 times.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Salmonella
He had a model 94 win but didn't consult me.

There is a reason.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
Don't know what happened before the video....shoulda been an easy case for the taser, but did the officer have one? Woulda been fun to watch that dude ride the lightning.

Well he did hit the popo in the head with that stick...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I worked with half a dozen Coroners & Medical examiners over the years all of whom were responsible for conducting autopsies and writing the attendant reports. Credible ones observe and record 'defects' which contributed to the death of the decedent. They may describe it as an apparent penetrating gunshot wound and note any bullets or fragments recovered in the body. They don't speculate the specific caliper, bullet type for what type of weapon it may have been fired from. That stuff gets done at the crime lab, if all the Stars lineup.

Last edited by SargeMO; 11/29/23. Reason: corrected typo

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It was coroners and medical examiners that got the Winchester Black Talon banned/discontinued because it was supposedly so sharp it posed a risk to medical personnel.

Just because someone works in a human butcher shop doesn't mean they know jack about how bullets work ot their effect on living tissue.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I've never studied combat wound trauma, but I'd say the medical experts have no clue...I'd bet a thousand guys here on the fire have completely shredded a deer or elk heart...and watched in astonishment as the animal ran away for considerable distances...not stumbling, staggering...in a well coordinated normal looking run. I read where the cop had a .45, supposedly a manstopper.
My SIL used to haul livestock, the law dictated that injured animals be put down ASAP to alleviate suffering, the .22 to the brain was the no drama, no rodeo, method used by everyone in the industry.
Even though head and spine shots under stress are very difficult to make...I wonder if in training there should be more emphasis on brain/spine shots rather than center mass? I wonder what SWAT training identifies as the primary target? Or stick with massive trauma by
just going back in history, the .476 Webley hollow base-hollow point was reported to be the 'right stuff' for thuggee types high on hash...it must have been effective, it was disallowed at the Hague convention of 1899.

Putting down injured livestock, and stopping an aggressive attacker, are two very different situations.

Yep.

And anyone who has put down enough stock will have found a time the 22 didn't work.

Dad had killed scores, hogs and beef, then one Saturday a steer was less than impressed. Smashed a gate, througha fence, and was out in the big pasture.
2 slugs in his head!

Dad took a tractor and went hunting, 3 rounds later he was slitting the throat.
A 5 round group was about an inch, we cracked the skull and only 1 went through
the bone.

Another time I watched a cow take all six from a 22 revolver.
Every round dropped her to her knees, everything she got up.
Standing there blowing blood out her nose.
One round from a 38, ended that chit show.

A friend ran a butcher shop, a 22 was the primary tool.
A single shot 12 gage sat in the corner with 1 1/4 of #4s.
On the rare occasion of a thick skull, the 12 gadget was shoved behind the shoulder
and fired. That, always stopped the rodeo immediately.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, anyone who hunts has seen unaware deer hit through the heart and or lungs, dead on their feet, those organs destroyed, yet until their brain runs out of oxygen, they may run quite a distance. They may need to be shot again. Sometimes more than once.

Until the brain runs out of oxygen, any animal can continue to function with critical, lethal injuries.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
12 pellets of 00 would have thrown his ass backwards on the pavement. A 44 mag would have done similar.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KenMi
12 pellets of 00 would have thrown his ass backwards on the pavement. A 44 mag would have done similar.

Well, ummm... No.

It wouldn't have "thrown" a grown man anywhere. Neither one.

You've watched too many Dirty Harry movies. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Throw down?
Nope.
However 00 and .44 do have a LOT more git-r-done than the 9mm.
A 180 gr hallow point in true .44 Magnum guise is devastating. 12 pieces of 00 buck is even better.
But, reasons, it was 9mm.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My memory is sometimes faulty, but I seem to recall reading that in Maryland not even cops can have hollow point handgun ammo.

Dale

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DHN
My memory is sometimes faulty, but I seem to recall reading that in Maryland not even cops can have hollow point handgun ammo.
I know hollow points are illegal in New Jersey, but not sure it that includes cops.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Newton’s Third Law -every action has an equal and opposite reaction. The total force exerted on the perp can’t be any greater than the force of recoil felt by the shooter. And for the perp that small amount of force is gonna be divided twelve ways.

What the perp will get is twelve .33 caliber holes punched in their internal organs all at once.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Newton’s Third Law -every action has an equal and opposite reaction. The total force exerted on the perp can’t be any greater than the force of recoil felt by the shooter. And for the perp that small amount of force is gonna be divided twelve ways.

What the perp will get is twelve .33 caliber holes punched in their internal organs all at once.

not true recoil energy is not equal to muzzle entergy

discussion here https://www.quora.com/What-has-more-power-the-bullet-or-the-recoil or search "recoil energy vs bullet energy"

Last edited by persiandog; 11/29/23.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Even Double OO Buck is not the death ray you would think it is. One on my coworkers shoot a Pitbull on a drug search warrant with swat team making the entry. The first shot was in the chest all pellets in a pattern the size of shot glass, no reaction other then to keep coming. The second shot was closer and right on the point of the dogs nose, that second shot calmed the dog down considerably! The dog had bitten two swat guys prior to the shooting!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,279
Posts18,486,792
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.