Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Anyone use them for concealed carry? Seems like a good idea for a BUG since it would be on the opposite side of the primary firearm, but I have no experience with shoulder holsters. What say ye?

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have one.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I have one.

Thank you for answering the full and complete question I asked. I would be remiss in not thanking you for your well thought out statement.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I bought it on E bay. I like my sport coat left pocket better.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
What does wabi carry a Dirty Harry 😂

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Galco shoulder rig I use to carry a Sig P226 when I have Carhartt bibs on. Put a bulky sweatshirt on over and its good to go.

Not my favorite way to carry but with bibs, not a hell of a lot of options.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Vertical, horizontal….endless possibilities

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have one.

That is a ringing endorsement from a professional gun carrier..

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Anyone use them for concealed carry? Seems like a good idea for a BUG since it would be on the opposite side of the primary firearm, but I have no experience with shoulder holsters. What say ye?

Mixed bag. vertical or horizontal carry?

I've done both. Neither is fast but it does keep the waistline clear if that's important and have drawbacks, especially in re flagging.

That being said, I am looking at one for my 2.5" s&w 66.

MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I like the horizontal shoulder holster with two mag pouches on the opposite side
With thumb released strap
Don’t recall manufacturer at the moment , have had this rig for 40 yrs , carried it extensively for quite a while .
Very comfortable and hides well
Still wear it when hiking
A few years ago I bought a cross draw shoulder rig for revolver , like it really well too , but not as discreet.
Vertical’s are ok , but horizontal just seems more natural to draw to me
My two cents
Kenneth

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have a custom made one fitted for me carries a Smith 696. It has its place with the right clothes

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
I like the horizontal shoulder holster with two mag pouches on the opposite side
Don’t recall manufacturer at the moment , have had this rig for 40 yrs , carried it extensively for quite a while .
A few years ago I bought a cross draw shoulder rig for revolver , like it really well too , but not as discreet.
My two cents
Kenneth

You're also walking around pointing a loaded gun at everyone behind you. Just food for thought. Depending on action and carry condition etc etc etc

MAGA
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Pocket carry or IWB

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
My two cents
Kenneth

You're also walking around pointing a loaded gun at everyone behind you. Just food for thought. Depending on action and carry condition etc etc etc

It won’t go off till I pull the trigger .

V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
For those who asked, it would be for a backup gun (revolver). My primary carry would still be on my belt, strong side. This would be in addition to, not in lieu of. I carry a BUG along with my primary carry, but I am looking to relocate it to somewhere more easily accessible on my body.

Boot guns are hard to access in most circumstances.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
WTH are you doing James Bond ? Lock picks involved?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
My two cents
Kenneth

It won’t go off till I pull the trigger .

And when does your finger first touch the trigger? On the draw? After acquiring a sight picture? Some time in between? Do you practice drawing from that holster with a cover shirt or jacket? I'm not being a dick. Serious question.

MAGA
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
I have one.

Thank you for answering the full and complete question I asked. I would be remiss in not thanking you for your well thought out statement.

Take note of the fact that you do not see pros using them.

Every once in a while, you will see some LEO or whomever with one, but if you dig further you will find that they really don't know what they are doing and are going for "the look" over a practical means to deploy the handgun in a fast and safe manner. In 30 years of carrying a gun for a living, I knew of exactly ZERO guys who I would consider experienced professionals who chose a shoulder holster as their primary means to carry a handgun. In very specific situations/scenarios, they could prove to be useful, but those were few and far between. As a general means of carry, they were less than ideal as compared to a traditional belt holster, along with a mag pouch and good belt.

In drawing from a shoulder holster, a major problem always was that it was quite difficult not to end up pointing the handgun at people you did not intend to. In many/most firearms courses, shoulder holsters simply were not allowed. Plus trying to re-secure the handgun in a fast and safe manner (which is actually very important) is more difficult with a shoulder rig.

They may look cool, especially when you are posing in front of the mirror, doing your best Don Johnson imitation, but after about 14 hours of wearing one, with it screwing up your shirt, and making everything look like crap, and you constantly having to take your jacket off to readjust your shirt, before you meet with anyone, such as bosses, judges, the AUSA to get a warrant, whatever, eventually you realize that they just suck. They end up getting tossed on a shelf in a closet or sold.

Bottom line is that you should save your money. Take note of the fact that you don't see pros wearing them, and that is what even the FBI can figure out is called a clue..

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by earlybrd
WTH are you doing James Bond ? Lock picks involved?

Well, yeah. This is my secret squirrel account.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love a shoulder holster when I'm carrying a larger firearm because of my back problems. A shoulder holsters seems to distribute the weight much better than carrying on my belt. But it is really only feasible for winter carry or open carry. I don't mind open carry but I will never open carry when I'm with my family. Only when I'm by myself. So, that really limits me to when I can use my shoulder holster. Outside in the cold or when all hell breaks lose!

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

410 members (1Longbow, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 163bc, 36 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,329
Posts18,526,651
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.