Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
tater74 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have drilled and then screwed them together, tried using self-tapping screws, that was a pain in the butt.

I have heard that a Ramset could be used, but haven't found the correct "nail" yet.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Get a bigger hammer!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Easiest but not the cheapest. Used to have one of these but you need a Maxair 500psi compressor to run it.
https://www.maxusacorp.com/nailers_compressors/products/concrete-steel-pin-nailer-hn120-powerlite/

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Get two cordless drills. Put a #7 bit in one and a 1/4-20 tap in the other. Clamp the 2X4 where you want it then drill through both the 2X4 and the steel with the #7 bit. Remove the 2X4, dip the 1/4-20 tap in some dark thread cutting oil then run it into the holes in the steel. Instant tapped 1/4-20 holes

Then open up the holes in the 2X4s with a 1/4" bit.

Fasten them together with 1/4-20 flat head screws.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Right on Bristoe. But depending on the load, may want to go bigger than 1/4" screws.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tek wood to steel screws.

You'll shoot your eye out
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I’m not sure what you’re trying to do but you can use black and decker pilot point drill bit to drill a hole in the Putin then screw through that into the 2x4. It makes an easy way to put up panels.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Use "Riv-nuts" in the metal piece and bolt the wood to it. They're basically pop rivets with a female thread that puts a thread into the metal piece. Kits are available on Ebay with the nut inserts and the installer tool, with a selection of different thread sizes. I use them frequently when mounting lights and other items to the walls of my metal shop building.

www.ebay.com/itm/305223098104?

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by tater74
I have drilled and then screwed them together, tried using self-tapping screws, that was a pain in the butt.

I have heard that a Ramset could be used, but haven't found the correct "nail" yet.

Thanks.
So is this overhead in a metal building ?
Backing for some kind of a ceiling system ?

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have used "wing tek" screws. Self drilling, the wings shear off and they self tap. Perfect for attaching blocking to steel.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Tag

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Easiest but not the cheapest. Used to have one of these but you need a Maxair 500psi compressor to run it.
https://www.maxusacorp.com/nailers_compressors/products/concrete-steel-pin-nailer-hn120-powerlite/

Why would someone use a concrete nailer to secure metal to wood? It's no wonder you enjoy hiring illegals, but cheap construction always has a cost even if you don't realize it, but your customers will...eventually.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
Get two cordless drills. Put a #7 bit in one and a 1/4-20 tap in the other. Clamp the 2X4 where you want it then drill through both the 2X4 and the steel with the #7 bit. Remove the 2X4, dip the 1/4-20 tap in some dark thread cutting oil then run it into the holes in the steel. Instant tapped 1/4-20 holes

Then open up the holes in the 2X4s with a 1/4" bit.

Fasten them together with 1/4-20 flat head screws.

A 1/4-20 bolt in a 1/4" hole won't hold a half hard dick in wood, even if the hole was undersized. If you were planning on using 1/4-20 threaded inserts in the wood, then that will work, but the inserts are over 1/4".

For ease of installation, I would drill slightly oversized holes in the metal for the shank diameter of the wood screws needed to provide sufficient clamping force and ensure the use of adequate washers throughout. You could use pan head machine screws for this as well if the load is light, but they are NOT rated for use in wood without the threaded inserts.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
grip-rite #16x1 7/8” phosphate
Bloack drywall screws.
I have used these for same application.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Thanks.

Without pics it is kinda hard to guess exactly what is going on here...

Purlins are typically the furring strip just under roof sheathing (or direct roofing)... running horizontal/parallel with the ridge.

This would make me think your "2x4" is actually the top cord of a truss maybe?

If this is the case... your trusses are 4' O/C... and the metal you are running horizontally is called a "high hats" or "girts"... and those are 18 or 26 gauge?

If I am even close on my guessing... please advise and I will help you solve.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If I am all backwards... and your trusses are metal... and the purlins are wood... the solution would be totally different.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sometimes it looks like this..

[Linked Image from pascalsteel.com]

There can be different styles

[Linked Image from apexsteel.com.au]

He might have a building such as this.

[Linked Image from bw-industries.co.uk]

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Is this what you used:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Teks-12-x-...hAYtEAQYAiABEgIeY_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yeah, they’re kind of a pain in the rear, if you’re not applying pressure EXACTLY level to “point of entry”. I don’t really know what would work better, though. Some of these, I have to make a point to go slow-moderate on drill speed, or it seems to burn the tip of the screwup, and make them worthless.

No pre-drilling of the wood required with these (they’re “winged”).

tater74 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I need to secure a 2X4 or 2X6 ti the inside wall and ceiling of a metal building to screw drywall to.

I am not going to use rivnuts. I don't want to drill and tap for threads. The ceiling in one room is vaulted with a peak of 24 ft.

I should have been more specific in my original post.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I need to secure a 2X4 or 2X6 ti the inside wall and ceiling of a metal building to screw drywall to.

I am not going to use rivnuts. I don't want to drill and tap for threads. The ceiling in one room is vaulted with a peak of 24 ft.

The ones I linked above are technically the “ones for the job”. Are you using them, or a DIFFERENT product??

tater74 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fburgtx

The ones I linked above are technically the “ones for the job”. Are you using them, or a DIFFERENT product??

I have used those to secure trailer decking. I was not impressed. It may be different with the thinner gauge purlins.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (17Fan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,319
Posts18,487,362
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.