Hop To
#18970557 11/30/23
M
MnFn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I am in the market for a .22 pistol. I have owned a couple of S&W model 41’s, one High Standard, (a very basic one) and two or three Ruger MK’s.

It will be used mostly for target shooting. My first model 41 was a gem. The last one was a real learning experience. I had to send it back to S&W. They had it for about a year but it came fixed and fully functional. I was pleased with the effort because I bought it used and the thing was a mess. But I much preferred the 5 1/2 “ barrel so I traded it off.

I didn’t care for the Rugers even tho they were trouble free for me.

So my question. I have a chance to buy a High Standard . It’s heavy target barrel. It appears to be in nice shape but I wonder about having a gun that is no longer in production and the availability of parts. Would that stop you from buying one?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would that stop you from buying one?

Nope. I'm not a fan of the grip angle, but if you likee, buyee.

But for target shooting, nothing beats a S&W PC Model 41.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 11/30/23.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Price range?

I'm a fanboy of Colt .22's - Officer's Model Targets and Woodsman's. A couple Smith K-22's have been known to take up residence here too. High Standards are excellent also IMO, alongside M41's. Trouble is there's so many delectable .22 handguns and so little time!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd buy a H-S pistol if it is in good condition. GPC still has lots of parts listed on their site.

The only H-S handgun that I have is a J.C. Higgins Sears house brand Sentinel revolver. My only .22 target pistols are from S&W, a 41 and a 46. The grip angles are different, so that is a factor, but my S&Ws both have custom fitted grips.

M
MnFn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve had two Model 18’s also. The first a good shooter the second was beautiful. In shooting .22, I just like shooting semi autos better.

Price range is always a factor but I was thinking +- a grand.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Parts are available, depending of course, on the model.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/high-standard/auto-pistols-hs

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
MnFn: I may be a bit off base (wrong) here but to me you sound like someone that is impossible/very hard to please?
If'n you didn't get pleasure from those Smith & Wesson Model 41's and those Ruger MK pistols then I wish you good luck with your next choice!
I will say I love ALL my Browning heavy barrel pistols (BuckMarks and Medalists) , Colt heavy barrel pistols, Ruger MK heavy barrel pistols, Smith & Wesson heavy barrel 41's along with my horde of High Standard heavy barrel pistols.
Again good luck in your quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Which hi-standard model are you eyeballing?

There’s so many great semi auto pistols out there to choose from

I do love a woodsman match target. But the 41 is a thing of beauty as well.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
High Standard pistols don’t have a feed ramp on the barrel, they depend on proper feed lip tension on the magazine to feed properly. IMO, a High Standard will shoot as well or better than a 41 but the magazines are a real pain. If the pistol comes with several original magazines, jump on it. Some of the new mags are too soft to stay “tuned”.

M
MnFn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
VG, I guess I muddied the water a bit by listing .22’s I’ve owned. But if you look back at my statement I said my first 41 was a gem, never said I didn’t like them. But I do like to try different guns.

I may well end up with another model 41, but I have seen comments on quality concerns with newer model 41’s.

Mainly I was interested in the High Standard, so I asked the question about them.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Me thinks you need a Fialla.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve wanted a High Standard 10X since my Army Pistol Team days. But, HOLY SMOKE:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every day’s an adventure.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Like yourself I have owned and own many 22 pistols. K22, Colt Officers Model Match, S&W 41 (2), and a 22/32 HFT from 1916, as well as a High Standard 107 Citation. Of all of them only the High Standard and the 22/32 are left. Check the frame rail on a High Standard for a crack, not often but can happen. It really depends on the model. Magazine are fussy, but once you get a good one it will stay that way for a long time. Parts are available. Company in TX I believe makes them owner is from the original High Standard bunch. The High Standard is every bit as accurate as any of them. Like the Model 41 they came is 5 1/2" and 7 1/4" barrels.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My old mentor/friend (93 yrs. old now) has a matched pair, consecutive serial numbers, Supermatic (Citations?) complete with different barrel weights, in .22 Short. He competed with them in rapid fire bullseye events back in the 60's. Judging by the fistful of targets in the pistol case with them I would say he did quite well. They'll be mine one day but dammit I ain't getting any younger myself!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What many of the others have said - I love the HS pistols and I tend to shoot them well and they are extremely accurate. Parts can be an issue but they are out there - with patience and searching. S&W 41s are also exceptional - I did pick up a Volquartsen Black Mamba a couple of years ago and it’s quickly becoming my favorite .22 auto and FWIW it out shoots my HS and S&W - it is a little above your price point but if you went that route you wouldn’t be sorry.

Just my two cents worth,

PennDog

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a High Standard HD thats a very nice pistol. I also shoot a Colt Match Target, M41 Smith and an early Ruger MK1 with a target barrel. They all shoot great and function well. If I had to pick one over the other I would probably go with the Colt as I like the feel of it. That being said I prefer a K22, M18 or a M617 over any of the pistols.

M
MnFn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I’m picking up a Volquartson tomorrow.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Browning Buckmarks are nice guns and come in many different configurations.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by MnFn
I’m picking up a Volquartson tomorrow.

I think you’ll be very happy - the others are classic .22 semis and are exceptional pieces to shoot - but the Volquartsen is astonishing (at least in my experience) - Let us know how it goes!!

PennDog

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.