Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JK737 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am putting together a new rifle. I am trying to decide on a stock. I have used HS precision stocks for quite sometime and have been very happy with them. I have a couple on Model 70’s.

I like the feel of the HS but I have never felt the McMillans. I had a Bell Carlson but in my opinion they felt to ‘slick’ and preferred the HS tackiness.

How does the McMillans feel as compared to the HS? Has anyone had a side by side comparison?

Thanks in advance!

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JK737
I am putting together a new rifle. I am trying to decide on a stock. I have used HS precision stocks for quite sometime and have been very happy with them. I have a couple on Model 70’s.

I like the feel of the HS but I have never felt the McMillans. I had a Bell Carlson but in my opinion they felt to ‘slick’ and preferred the HS tackiness.

How does the McMillans feel as compared to the HS? Has anyone had a side by side comparison?

Thanks in advance!

I realize not all stocks are created equal, the finishes between my HS Precision and Mcmillans are pretty similar. I'm talking about the surface/texture. This does not include the swirly stocks though, those are slick IMHO. I am in agreement about the B&C stocks feeling a little more slick, as compared to the HS or Mcmillan. Especially the B&C stock they use on the Extreme weather BACO. Good luck with your search.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There is no comparison. They are made completely different and that is why a McMillan will cost twice as much.

B&C and HS both use an aluminum chassis in the center. Melted plastic mixed with chopped fiberglass is poured into a mold with the chassis in the center to form the stocks. The aluminum in the center gives the stock it's strength, but results in a heavier, thicker stock.

McMillan, Brown Precision, and all of the other higher end stocks start by laminating layers of fiberglass cloth to form the heart of the stock instead of using the aluminum chassis. The lighter weight Edge stocks use kevlar cloth instead of fiberglass. The Kevlar reduces stock weight by about 1/2 lb and is stiffer than fiberglass. It also adds to the cost.

The outside is made from several layers of either fiberglass of kevlar cloth which are left hollow in the butt area and the forend ahead of where the front action screw is. The hollow areas are filled with lightweight expanding foam to deaden sound.

The cutout for the action is milled the same way you'd do it with a wood stock. It is a lot more expensive to make, but you get a very strong stock, but one that can be trim and light.

I like the B&C stocks on a heavier rifle that will be used as a target/varmint rifle or shot mostly at the range. They are just heavier and thicker than I want on most of my hunting rifles. It is worth the added costs to get a trimmer. lighter stock on most of my hunting rifles.

HS offers more options for some rifles that are not available from B&C, but if B&C makes a stock for the rifle I'd just as soon have it as HS. They are virtually the same and B&C is usually a lot cheaper. It is easy enough to repaint a stock with a textured paint if you don't like the"feel".

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Check out AG composites I currently have 2 on my LR hunting rifles and have handled close to a dozen there great stocks.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i would reach out to outkast arms ...they have a stock installed for 750.00

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Excellent detailed explanation JMR40!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve yet to see a “slick” McMillan but only have 60+ and nothing older than M40A1 smears,with more than a “few” patterns covered. Hint.

HS is fhuqking Dog Schit in comparison,as is B&C. I’ve a herd of AG’s in both OEM and Custom and they are Skookum. Hint.

GB Terrains,Outlanders and Renegades are solid choices. I’ve a few dozen. Hint………..

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a few McMillan stocks on my M70 rifles, my favorite is the old Winchester FWT pattern they discontinued. I have a couple Compacts and they're just okay, I have a Winlite stock that needs a home one of these days. I've had a B&C stock on my Extreme Weather rifle, and it was just to fat and I didn't enjoy the rifle.

I do have a Wildcat composite stock being imported from Canada. My buddy told me he was submitting the forms to import one, and I asked if I could get him to add me. So I have the their FWT pattern stock coming for my .270 WSM.

Another stock I want to try is a Bansner. I have a couple of the Howa Alpine stocks he designed and I really like them. I also purchased a Mini Mauser wearing one years ago, that rifle just doesn't get used much.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Thanks in advance!

The actual finish of a stock (textured, slick, etc) is easily altered. I’d focus on the dimensions, pattern, etc and how that feels. HS stocks may be better than factory synthetics but they feel like a chunky 2x4 compared to better stuff. McMillian, Manners, AG Composites, Stockys, etc.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Take a look at the Grayboe stocks.
https://www.grayboe.com/

Start with an action type and barrel contour that you can find a stock for.
That would be the first thing I'd do.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive

He is looking for Winchester stocks.

J
JK737 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by JMR40
There is no comparison. They are made completely different and that is why a McMillan will cost twice as much.

B&C and HS both use an aluminum chassis in the center. Melted plastic mixed with chopped fiberglass is poured into a mold with the chassis in the center to form the stocks. The aluminum in the center gives the stock it's strength, but results in a heavier, thicker stock.

McMillan, Brown Precision, and all of the other higher end stocks start by laminating layers of fiberglass cloth to form the heart of the stock instead of using the aluminum chassis. The lighter weight Edge stocks use kevlar cloth instead of fiberglass. The Kevlar reduces stock weight by about 1/2 lb and is stiffer than fiberglass. It also adds to the cost.

The outside is made from several layers of either fiberglass of kevlar cloth which are left hollow in the butt area and the forend ahead of where the front action screw is. The hollow areas are filled with lightweight expanding foam to deaden sound.

The cutout for the action is milled the same way you'd do it with a wood stock. It is a lot more expensive to make, but you get a very strong stock, but one that can be trim and light.

I like the B&C stocks on a heavier rifle that will be used as a target/varmint rifle or shot mostly at the range. They are just heavier and thicker than I want on most of my hunting rifles. It is worth the added costs to get a trimmer. lighter stock on most of my hunting rifles.

HS offers more options for some rifles that are not available from B&C, but if B&C makes a stock for the rifle I'd just as soon have it as HS. They are virtually the same and B&C is usually a lot cheaper. It is easy enough to repaint a stock with a textured paint if you don't like the"feel".

JMR40- Thank you for the education on some of these manufacturing processes. I have a couple of B&C’s I should put in the classifieds. M70 LA and SA…

So if I understand correctly McMillan does not use any aluminum chassis in the center like the HS and B&C. Hence the weight savings. I will take a look at McMillan and some of the others mentioned.

J
JK737 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I should have clarified in my opening post that I will be putting a Proof Research carbon (sendero) on a Lone Peak action. The challenging part is not being able to do a side by side comparison locally on the stocks here in the Seattle area before I make a decision and order one.

Appreciate the knowledge of the forums here…

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fhuqk Proof,go steel with a real barrel and McMillan. Hint……….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I got a Bansner for one of my M70s. Proportions and feel is nice, but it’s still unfinished and I haven’t shot it in the new stock. It had a B&C before that and there is no comparison as far as feel and weight.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I should have clarified in my opening post that I will be putting a Proof Research carbon (sendero) on a Lone Peak action. The challenging part is not being able to do a side by side comparison locally on the stocks here in the Seattle area before I make a decision and order one.

Appreciate the knowledge of the forums here…

That sure opens up the possibilities then. Sky is the limit for 700s and clones. Apologies to DD.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wish Grayboe would inlet for Tikka's. They'd make a $$$ killing $$$

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not into the paddle look of the Grayboes to get them lighter and there right on par as far as price as the AG.
To each his own I guess

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve never seen an Outlander,Terrain or Renegade “paddle”. Though in fairness,those who don’t actually shoot,DREAM all sorts of fhuqking schit up. Hint…………..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I’ve never seen an Outlander,Terrain or Renegade “paddle”. Though in fairness,those who don’t actually shoot,DREAM all sorts of fhuqking schit up. Hint…………..
Read my post sticky, there paddle stocks are the only ones to equal weight of the AG privateer. 24oz i made it easy for ya.
The three you mention are 32oz, 4oz and 3.75 lb boat anchor
Those who don't shoot dream [bleep] up. HINT...

Last edited by sherm_61; 12/02/23.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (16gage, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 1234, 64 invisible), 3,274 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,750
Posts18,476,179
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.