Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thoughts on this as a SHTF rifle. just not a fan of AR style rifle.

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It’ll go bang every time. I’ve a 580 series that will hold 2 MOA. You aren’t going to win any matches with one, but that’s not what you’re asking of it. You could do a lot worse.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
There are tons of YouTube videos pro and con. Magazines are more expensive then AR or AK. Some say they aren’t reliable and often not accurate enough. Newer seems better in both regards.

I just picked up a new Ranch Rifle in .223 and it hasn’t bobbled anything yet. Four hundred plus and no issues. I would call it a 3 inch rifle at 100 yards with issue peep. Haven’t played around with a dot or scope yet just wanted to break it in. I’m happy with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Google will net you more reading and videos on this than you could possibly fathom. Like anything else, they have their ardent fans and haters.

I’ve used both the old pencil barrel and the new models extensively. They are a light and handy rifle, and I find them very ergonomic (assuming you grew up with a traditionally stocked rifle). I really *want* to like them, and I generally do.

Cons: You will pay nearly twice what you do for an AR, and you will end up with a rifle that is not as accurate, reliable, or durable as the average AR. Both of the ones I owned had to go back to Ruger for reliability issues, and I had to fix one myself. Parts are proprietary, and you must use the expensive Ruger factory mags for reliability. Stick with the 20 round Ruger mags, the factory 30’s are awkward and unreliable. They Chuck brass 40 feet, and aftermarket support is nearly nil.

Pros: They are super handy, *especially* with the factory 5 round flush mag. Basically a 6 shot 5.56 10/22. You can get a true folder, but they are expensive. Optics are pretty easy to mount (but not as easy as an AR, and they do well with a low powered scope in Ruger rings. They are also available in stainless, which is nice. A light is pretty easy to mount with a barrel clamp picatinny rail, and they are generally viewed as less ‘threatening’ than an AR. They are also available in some ban states.

I’ve had a ball shooting mine, but they have also caused me to want to pull my hair out chasing reliability and accuracy issues.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like the Mini, too.

This one has had a lot of work, fortunately back before this kinda stuff got so expensive.

Accuracy Systems did a major upgrade on this one. I did the stock.

It has their three point bedding, trigger job, barrel, brake and gas block.

https://www.accuratemini14.com/

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The difference between a Mini 14 and the AR platform is you can invest a lot of money and time trying to turn the Mini into a 1 MOA rifle, where you can generally pick up a $800 - $1000 AR that is already a 1 MOA or better without any headaches.

Geeez I just looked the Ruger site. $1,300 to $1,400 for a Mini!!!! HFS For that kind of money you can have an AR shooter plus scope and ammo.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 12/02/23.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
The difference between a Mini 14 and the AR platform is you can invest a lot of money and time trying to turn the Mini into a 1 MOA rifle, where you can generally pick up a $800 - $1000 AR that is already a 1 MOA or better without any headaches.

Geeez I just looked the Ruger site. $1,300 to $1,400 for a Mini!!!! HFS For that kind of money you can have an AR shooter plus scope and ammo.
True.

AR is an accuracy bargain. Lot of performance for the buck.

But to those who really like the Mini platform, those rifles can become pretty interesting. It just takes money.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can always add wood to an AR - http://www.blackgunswood.com/

smile

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
They are accurate enough, its the first shot that counts, they will run any ammo and they just work.
They were not made to be moa.
Accuracy systems can improve the trigger, and if you don't want brass ejected to the next zip code, they can help with that too.

Last edited by TBREW401; 12/02/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Neither of mine ‘just worked’ without going back to Ruger. One would rip the rim off of the case and leave the empty in the chamber. The other would fail to eject and try to feed the empty case along with the next round.

Ruger claimed they replaced the bolt on the first one, and the ejector on the second one. They didn’t do a good job fitting the replacement ejector, so I broke down and ordered a part and fit it myself. In contrast, I’ve had zero functional issues across multiple AR’s.

I like the Mini a lot, but I don’t think I would buy a new one at todays prices.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They used to be "the poor man's AR15". Now, it's completely the other way around. The price is up there pretty high now. I bought my new one several years ago for like $750, and now they are around a thousand dollars. If I were to spend that much money on a Ruger rifle now, I think I'd get one of the brand new Ruger/Marlin 1894s in .357... I just saw two of them in a gun shop with a price tag of $999.99, and they were nice.

I honestly think that if it weren't for the more oppressive states where AR's are generally not available, Ruger would have stopped making the Mini14 years ago. I expect that they keep making it mostly because of these states, where they have a captive market, basically. I think this also helps explain the rather high pricing today.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For SHTF, you can (will) do a lot worse than AR. A sub $500.00 PSA will kick the snout of most mini 14 out there.

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have about 50 varmint rifles. I always grab one of my mini's first. They are just fun to shoot. I dont care about 1" groups, the coyotes and fox we hunt are usually running anyway. Group size doesnt matter then. I guess I dont know why everyone thinks that you have to have such small groups for a hunting rifle.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have a 580 series mini 14, got a vortex strike eagle 1x8 on it and with 60 Hornady v- max it's a 1/2" or less gun at 100 yards off bags

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
https://www.ptr-us.com/product/ptr-63/

This might interest some folks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Mini's shot horrible with the skinny barrels and factory ammo. There was a big learning curve. My 3 Mini's have the factory heavier barrels (not the target barrels) or an ASI barrel on it. They also have had an ASI trigger job done on them. The best thing I did was get a Hornady case comparator and load my ammo for them. I wish I would of had the comparator with the original barrels. My bet is I would of been absolutely surprised at the headspace numbers. I use the comparator for all of my reloading.

None the less, they are a real handy rifle for those of you who prefer not to keep or use an AR. In many States the people have no choice since AR's are forbidden or are completely "dumbed down" to fit the politics of the left.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
This is my 181 Mini that has been completely disassembled then polished, fitted and accurized in my shop. Went from a 6" old charter boat gun to a .3" group shooter. Has a recoil pad for longer LOP, a trigger job, glass bedded, Wichita scope base, polished rod and parts, fitted gas piston, cut barrel, lathe recrown, front sight removal, 8" barrel shroud. Stock was refinished after 20+ years on a fishing boat. Pretty much builds lke my social 14 that I built.
So far a couple of coyotes and a 300# wild hog. It is a fun gun, and I have a few mags.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
it would be a fun gun for $300, but like the other man said, buy a cheap PSA and your already a light year ahead. The only reason to buy a mini is that you just like the looks and they are the red rider bb gun of your heart. Worst one I had which was a SS version, would not hit a 55 gallon drum at 150 yards or so with XM193 off a rest. Finally none of the ones I had were unreliable, at least they went bang all the time, I guess Ruger has improved them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful guns, but there's a reason the A-team never hit anyone.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Beautiful guns, but there's a reason the A-team never hit anyone.

Touchè!

Nicely done….. that made me laugh.

I like the point-a-bilty and handling of the Mini but the horrific accuracy sent all mine down the road. I preferred the ergonomics over an AR, especially for a hunting and truck gun, but that dang lack of accuracy was a game changer. I keep hoping Ruger figures it out. Yes, I’m aware of Accuracy Systems but it shouldn’t require that.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (222ND, 2500HD, 1OntarioJim, 257Bob, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,207 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,934
Posts18,479,981
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.