Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18977668 12/02/23
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Built a short stand to set my meat grinder and meat tubs on that's just below waist high. Easier on the trashed rotator cuffs than working at normal counter top height. Built it with 2x4's and a piece of OSB. I have a 1/4" thick piece of HDPE coming that I will top it with to make cleaning it off easier and more sanitary.

I would really like to just glue the HDPE to the wood if I can.

What will stick the two together and not come apart on me?

I may put a few stainless screws around the perimeter as well.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck with that. If the surface is big enough maybe try contact cement. You can also build the stand with wood and cover in Formica laminate for an easy to clean surface. You could also just buy an electric grinder and really save your rotator cuffs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't thing anything will stick

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Maybe some epoxy, but those two materials are going to be very difficult to glue together.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
What makes HDPE such a great material for blow molding is how almost nothing sticks to it.

IME it is the WORST material to 3d print. The only print bed I've found that it will stick to is other sheets of HDPE when the extruded material is hot enough to melt the print bed and fuse to it.

So, yea, good luck.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
gorilla glue is good but AOC trying to ban it

Attached Images
b5eefa4f1290e6fe56ea8d1d53879521.jpg (31.65 KB, 266 downloads)
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Traveler52

Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of a quick Google I did. There are some chemicals that will cause a bond, but I'll have to go back and see what they were and then find the glue that contains them. All Greek to me though.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by Traveler52

Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of a quick Google I did. There are some chemicals that will cause a bond, but I'll have to go back and see what they were and then find the glue that contains them. All Greek to me though.

Yes, there are chemicals that will cause a bond, but not at room temperature normal pressures.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by K1500
Good luck with that. If the surface is big enough maybe try contact cement. You can also build the stand with wood and cover in Formica laminate for an easy to clean surface. You could also just buy an electric grinder and really save your rotator cuffs.

I'm already talking about an electric grinder. Pretty sad, huh, lol.

I spend 50 hours a week welding overhead. Last thing I want to do is jam meat through a grinder at countertop top level. Swore last year it was the last time.

I'm thinking contact cement contains the chemicals that will cause a bond with HDPE but I might be wrong in what I read. There's a way, just thought some y'all might know offhand.

I did consider formica but found a deal on the HDPE, and I like how durable my cutting boards are. Might use this stand as a sit down cutting board dual purpose, which is why I'd rather just glue it down.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by K1500

I'm already talking about an electric grinder. Pretty sad, huh, lol.

I spend 50 hours a week welding overhead. Last thing I want to do is jam meat through a grinder at countertop top level. Swore last year it was the last time.

I'm thinking contact cement contains the chemicals that will cause a bond with HDPE but I might be wrong in what I read. There's a way, just thought some y'all might know offhand.

I did consider formica but found a deal on the HDPE, and I like how durable my cutting boards are. Might use this stand as a sit down cutting board dual purpose, which is why I'd rather just glue it down.

This is the best I've found, but I doubt it will work for your purposes:

[Linked Image from static-content.cromwell.co.uk]

It's really sticky stuff, but if it doesn't work, it's a mess to clean off so you can try something else.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'd try two things. Hi-Line gumbo, and Kasilof River tidal flat mud. Damned near guaranteed! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
As an aside, Loctite and Krazyglue superglues are way better than the Gorilla stuff.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Liquid Nails

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No idea where you could source it....
We use .010 Mylar at work, rolled stock.

It's my miracle meat cutting surface.
Cover anything with it, cut right on it, roll it up and toss it when it get cut up.
I get it free, so it gets pitched every use.

Again, no idea where you could find it that thick.
And you sure as hell don't want 1000 yards, or the bill!

I'll be dipped! It took a few minutes...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

$5.50/ft for the 40". Gotta buy 25 feet.
Expensive, but if you only need 3' that roll could last you 10 years.

(It works well with a good 2 sided tape. We cover work tables witartwork. work.
makes a nice,easy clean surface)

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
acy Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I built my own electric grinder using a #32 hand grinder with a pulley on the auger and a half horse commercial motor. Mounted it on a base made with 2x4s and topped with OSB. I put a bunch (that's a highly precise, technical term), of coats of polyurethane on it. It cleans up easily.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ruff it up and try the 2 part epoxy that you use to glue all thread into concrete

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We use food grade, 1/4" HDPE (Starboard) often on fish cleaning tables/stations in harsh environments. Have never used adhesive though. We use a solid backer and attach with stainless steel trim screws. The only trick is slightly counter-sinking the screw heads so they won't dull or ruin knives.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You never heard of Corian? Epoxy works with it......

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Liquid Nails
This

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
We use food grade, 1/4" HDPE (Starboard) often on fish cleaning tables/stations in harsh environments. Have never used adhesive though. We use a solid backer and attach with stainless steel trim screws. The only trick is slightly counter-sinking the screw heads so they won't dull or ruin knives.

That will probably be the way I go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.