Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
RHClark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Have carried one daily for the last couple of years. Goes bang every time I pull the trigger. And tends to hit anything I aim at within 7 yards.
That would be all I would expect.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
Apparently some of the early LCP-22's had issues with misfiring, and the one I got was badly afflicted with that malady. It would fail to fire at least 6 rounds of a 10-round magazine every time. I returned it to Ruger, and when I got it back it was just as bad, misfiring more than half the time. Cute little gun, but it just wouldn't work.

In desperation I ordered a performance spring kit from Galloway, and after installation the LCP-22 has been 100% reliable so far. All of a sudden, I like the little pistol.

Feeding, extraction and ejection have never been a problem. It just wouldn't go "Bang" until I put the spring kit in, even after a trip back to Ruger.

Same issue with mine. I had the LCP II.

Dealer swapped it for a new one. Misfire on the first mag. Seven more in 50 rds. Got a refund.

It grouped 1.5" at 7yds. and never jammed with 3 types of ammo. If only it could go bang 100 percent of the time

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine, just bought it last month, so far is only reliable out of the box with CCI 40 gr. Mini Mags. It won't reliably fire any other type of ammo I've tried in it including CCI Mini Mag 36 gr. HPs. I tried the Galloway Precision firing pin spring and it made no difference. So far I haven't had the guts to try to install the Galloway hammer spring. Based on their installation video you better have some strong mechanical aptitude and there's a lot of parts involved. Galloway will do it for you for $50 plus freight but won't guarantee it due to ammo differences.

I'm not knocking Galloway. I got fast shipping on the spring kit and very good, fast communication from them on my questions. They seem to be a realistic first class company.

For now I'm going to shoot the 40 gr. Mini Mags since they work and I've got a lot of them. I've put two hundred through it with no malfunctions, it's as concealable as it gets, no recoil and accurate enough for it's purpose. Not that much fun to shoot but ok for what it is. I kind of like the pistol but not enough to put more money into it and wouldn't buy another one. IMO Ruger should have tested these more thoroughly before putting them on the market.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both the SR22 and the TX22 have a lot more grip real-estate. Makes for more accurate shooting for me.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Mine, just bought it last month, so far is only reliable out of the box with CCI 40 gr. Mini Mags. It won't reliably fire any other type of ammo I've tried in it including CCI Mini Mag 36 gr. HPs. I tried the Galloway Precision firing pin spring and it made no difference. So far I haven't had the guts to try to install the Galloway hammer spring. Based on their installation video you better have some strong mechanical aptitude and there's a lot of parts involved. Galloway will do it for you for $50 plus freight but won't guarantee it due to ammo differences.

I'm not knocking Galloway. I got fast shipping on the spring kit and very good, fast communication from them on my questions. They seem to be a realistic first class company.

For now I'm going to shoot the 40 gr. Mini Mags since they work and I've got a lot of them. I've put two hundred through it with no malfunctions, it's as concealable as it gets, no recoil and accurate enough for it's purpose. Not that much fun to shoot but ok for what it is. I kind of like the pistol but not enough to put more money into it and wouldn't buy another one. IMO Ruger should have tested these more thoroughly before putting them on the market.

I fully believe that the Galloway hammer spring made all the difference on mine. I also was a bit intimidated about installing it and had a gunsmith do it. I chickened out. But it solved my misfire problem.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by desertoakie
off topic, but Palmetto State Armory has Beretta Tomcats .32acp on sale for $399. Beretta is offering $150 rebate back, net $249. I got mine yesterday in FDE color. Really cool pistol and all METAL also, except the grips. FWIW

Looks like a similar deal available on the .22LR 21A Bobcat.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/beretta-model-21-bobcat-inox-22-lr-pistol-j212500.html

I was shooting one of these at the range not long ago. Thirty years ago I had bought one for my then wife but when I looked up the velocity and ME out of that stubby barrel (true of the LCP also) I traded up for an Airweight.

I had forgotten what a cool all-steel design those little Beretta’s are, 12oz. It fed and functioned with cheap .22 ammo surprisingly well. “Crunchenticker” (as Jeff Cooper would put it) first shot double-action design but with the thumb safety you could also carry it cocked and locked Condition 1 grin Just fun to shoot.

Must be Boomer bias but I can’t warm up to Ruger’s little polymer .380s even though I know they work. I’druther have a 21A (without the new threaded muzzle version) than an LCP.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
it seems like based on various experiences that you would be buying it walking into it eyes wide open that you may or may not get a good copy. Again for the money it probably would be fun to work on it for a while, but out of the box not sure I would carry it until I shot a bunch of rounds through it. Seems like a neat little pistol though. I had the berretta bobcat once, that thing while not that accurate was reliable with most anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by desertoakie
off topic, but Palmetto State Armory has Beretta Tomcats .32acp on sale for $399. Beretta is offering $150 rebate back, net $249. I got mine yesterday in FDE color. Really cool pistol and all METAL also, except the grips. FWIW

Looks like a similar deal available on the .22LR 21A Bobcat.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/beretta-model-21-bobcat-inox-22-lr-pistol-j212500.html

I was shooting one of these at the range not long ago. Thirty years ago I had bought one for my then wife but when I looked up the velocity and ME out of that stubby barrel (true of the LCP also) I traded up for an Airweight.

I had forgotten what a cool all-steel design those little Beretta’s are, 12oz. It fed and functioned with cheap .22 ammo surprisingly well. “Crunchenticker” (as Jeff Cooper would put it) first shot double-action design but with the thumb safety you could also carry it cocked and locked Condition 1 grin Just fun to shoot.

Must be Boomer bias but I can’t warm up to Ruger’s little polymer .380s even though I know they work. I’druther have a 21A (without the new threaded muzzle version) than an LCP.

With the current sales price and Beretta rebate the Tomcat was an easy purchase decision.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 12/03/23.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’m a little late to the conversation, but thought that I’d throw in my 2 cents.

We bought a pair of them several years ago. We’ve shot them some…..not a tremendous amount!

We had a few misfeeds, though quite rare, in the early shoots. I heard, at the time, that there were some magazine related feed issues…..which Ruger would correct. As a note, we don’t feed them anything special. We use typical copper plated Federal, Winchester, Remington bulk box HP’s of which we have an abundance. We’ve never tried any high dollar ammo in them.

Overall, I think that for what they are, they’re a good, accurate, reliable little 22 semi-auto! Enough so, it’s my ankle carry, when I’m in long pants 😁. I hope that it never gets to the point of needing it as a back-up, but it’s somewhat comforting to know it’s there if needed! JMO. memtb

Addendum: I had a bit of trouble with the sights in poor light…..probably made worse with my old eyes! I used model airplane epoxy paint, fluorescent yellow on the front and outlined the rear with white. It seemed to help a great deal….and cost near nothing. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/03/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
The thing that throws me off the LCP 22 is the manual states that when you have a dud you should drop the magazine first, then pull the slide back to clear the chamber-i.e. no tap, rack, bang with this one. With the sorry .22 ammunition available these days I will stick to my older style LCP .380. It isn't a lot of fun to shoot, but it works every time and has 1500+ rds through it so far. I do have a SR22 that goes with me when I think I need a pocketable .22. It is a great gun and runs like a sewing machine.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
i briefly had a ruger lcp22. it wasn’t reliable and its mags were a pain to reload. i happily sold it and bought a second ruger sr22. skip the lcp22 and go straight to a sr22.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW, I've carried one daily for a few years and love the little thing.

The first time I shot it was at a buddy's private range. We were using our steel challenge pistols on an 8-plate, plate rack he'd put together.

After several runs with my Volquartsen Black Mamba with a C-More RTS-2 on it, I was feeling pretty froggy...

I told the guys shooting with me that I wanted to reset the plates and try it with the LCP II.

They were laughing at me and honestly, I had no expectations...I'd never even fired the thing.

It had a magazine full of mini-mags and when the timer went off, I went 8 for 8 with a faster time than any I'd shot with my Black Mamba.

I couldn't do it every time, but I can't remember a time I've left the house since then, that the Ruger wasn't with me...

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Will a bullet from an LCP22 penetrate a 55 gallon drum?

R
RHClark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Epishemore

Do you think it wouldn't? A short barreled 22 may be anemic comparably but you still wouldn't want to get shot with one.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by RHClark

Do you think it wouldn't? A short barreled 22 may be anemic comparably but you still wouldn't want to get shot with one.
I've had other 22 lr semis where the bullets would bounce off the side of an empty 55 gallon drum.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've had other 22 lr semis where the bullets would bounce off the side of an empty 55 gallon drum.

I’d like to hear more about this personally.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Sixpack

40 years ago. Sterling & Jennings pistols. Remington and Federal $10 brick ammo. Distance around 50 feet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On 12=2 I said the only ammo mine was reliable with was CCI 40 gr. Mini Mags. Not any more. Last time out got two fail to fire out of the same 100 round box from the same lot that had worked flawlessly up till then.

I'm not buying the argument that 22 ammo is known to be undependable. If it was that bad there wouldn't have been millions of 22s firearms sold. I cant recall ever having problems like this in my other 22s, rifles or handguns. From what I've read and seen there's a good chance anyone buying a 22 LCP will get a bad one.

To it's credit it's always functioned as it should if it has good primer strikes. It'll crank out 10 shots as fast as I can pull the trigger. feeds and ejects perfect.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 01/25/24.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It's my wife's carry gun, and she shoots it really well.

It likes Remington 40gr HP and is very reliable.

She had quite a few FTF using Winchester Super_X Power Points, but I think we got a bad batch of them. The ones that would not fire in the LCP would not fire in a Walther P-22 either, even with rotating the cartridge a few times in each gun. Lot's of firing pin dents, but no 'bang'.

The LCP even shoots the CCI Stingers reliably.

R
RHClark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Sixpack

40 years ago. Sterling & Jennings pistols. Remington and Federal $10 brick ammo. Distance around 50 feet.

There was either something wrong with the gun, ammo, or it was a glancing shot.

I've owned some of those POS pistols in the past. With a couple I couldn't hit a can even from a couple feet away. That has to tell you something.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 1badf350, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,338
Posts18,487,696
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.