Campfire Outfitter
They are effing POS.

Politics is War by Other Means
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by steveredd1
Have a 580 series mini 14, got a vortex strike eagle 1x8 on it and with 60 Hornady v- max it's a 1/2" or less gun at 100 yards off bags

i've been reading and watching videos saying the 580 series solved a lot of the accuracy issues.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
What about Ruger’s Mini Target Rifle?

They’re supposed to be pretty accurate. I’ve never handled one.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/03/23.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Beautiful guns, but there's a reason the A-team never hit anyone.

HaHa- nobody ever hit their target with pray
and spray except John Wayne and Lucas McCain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a 580 series mini 14, got a vortex strike eagle 1x8 on it and with 60 Hornady v- max it's a 1/2" or less gun at 100 yards off bags

I bet

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have a Mini14 target model I bought 10-15 years ago. I took it to the range shortly after buying it, and it was like shooting a shotgun. I put it in the back of the gun vault and it sat till last fall. I was going to put it up for sale. While looking it over I found a loose scope ring. Thought I might as well go shoot it before selling it. I have a 10 shot target at 50 yards that a nickle covers every round. All thoughts of selling it have gone away. All I can say is sometimes you will find one that shoots.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by K1500

I bet

Oh yeah

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A lot, maybe most of the criticism on accuracy is based on early specimens. Mine is a few years old, and while it won’t win any matches, it’ll do 2moa or so with ammo it likes, especially if you discount the first round flyers. Other than a couple failures while testing different size gas ports, mine has never, repeat never failed to function. It will hit what needs hitting. I spent $100 on a trigger job and got a decent 4-pound pull.

I find it odd that AKs get so much love despite their notorious poor accuracy, while Rugers are damned for the same level of precision or even better. My previous AR, a Springfield Saint, was no more accurate than my Mini, and far less reliable. I watch a lot of gun tests, in particular mrgunsngear and Honest Outlaw, and based on those I think the accuracy of ARs is often overrated. Yeah, they can be very accurate, but run of the mill carbines seem to be, like current Mini 14s, usually “service grade”.

This video features, among other stuff, a session with Saint Clint, who says the Minis are fine, as long as you use Ruger mags and not cheap knockoffs. I read that elsewhere and OEM mags is all I own.

Current street price seems to be just over a grand, and you can buy or build a pretty good AR for that much, no doubt. OTOH, the Mini has pretty conventional ergos, especially with 5-shot mags, is IME extremely reliable, and if left in the corner or behind the seat of your truck for months without cleaning or other maintenance, it’ll probably go bang on demand.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
The difference between a Mini 14 and the AR platform is you can invest a lot of money and time trying to turn the Mini into a 1 MOA rifle, where you can generally pick up a $800 - $1000 AR that is already a 1 MOA or better without any headaches.

Geeez I just looked the Ruger site. $1,300 to $1,400 for a Mini!!!! HFS For that kind of money you can have an AR shooter plus scope and ammo.

Good post. In a different thread, there was a guy bragging about how good his mini 14 shoots. Something to the effect that it will outshoot any/most AR15's. Wondering how much money he has in that one?

Originally Posted by Tyrone
They are effing POS.
Maybe a little harsh, but not far from the truth.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Beautiful guns, but there's a reason the A-team never hit anyone.

Amazing.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
thoughts on this as a SHTF rifle. just not a fan of AR style rifle.

I've owned a bunch of Minis (and M1A's which are cousins). That design of action-to-stock lockup generally "needs" bedding if you want to get down to around, say 1.5 MOA. The stock to action fit is just pretty loose and can move around in a bunch of different directions. Also, Mini's are often overgassed but that can be fixed by replacing the generously sized factory gas port.

I like the design and I also like how they look with wood stocks.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TX35W
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
thoughts on this as a SHTF rifle. just not a fan of AR style rifle.

I've owned a bunch of Minis (and M1A's which are cousins). That design of action-to-stock lockup generally "needs" bedding if you want to get down to around, say 1.5 MOA. The stock to action fit is just pretty loose and can move around in a bunch of different directions. Also, Mini's are often overgassed but that can be fixed by replacing the generously sized factory gas port.

I like the design and I also like how they look with wood stocks.
Agree that bedding helps. Accuracy Systems three point bedding seems to be a very good approach.

Someone mentioned “over gassed”. If designers are going for function as the number one feature, you want a robust gas effect. The AK-47 isn’t known for match accuracy but they go bang every time.

Accuracy Systems has a gas block that can be tuned. Mine doesn’t have it, but I can see how tuning the gas for least disruption and vibration, dropping cases where you want them is desirable.

But as mentioned several times, an AR out of the box is going to out shoot a Mini out of the box.

I have both, still like the ergonomics of the Mini.

DF

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've had a 14 and a 30 but switched to Ar platforms.Both the Rugers were average shooters but adding the adjustable gas block sure helped---that is a must add feature if you're keeping a Mini

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I bought the port kit from AS. It definitely helped tame the ejection, and the accuracy a bit. I’ll probably get the adjustable one when the smoke clears a bit from all the other stuff I really needed of late. I have some notions I’d like to explore, and for the price, that’s a more convenient way to go over more port swapping.

I’d like to try bedding as well, but shipping is such a PITA and risky, so I’ll probably look into a DIY approach. Still, the current level of performance is completely satisfactory for that rifle’s purpose. I see lots of AR carbine shooters on the 50-yard range nearby, and they’re not doing any better than I am, often worse.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by patberg
I have about 50 varmint rifles. I always grab one of my mini's first. They are just fun to shoot. I dont care about 1" groups, the coyotes and fox we hunt are usually running anyway. Group size doesnt matter then. I guess I dont know why everyone thinks that you have to have such small groups for a hunting rifle.

Doesn't a 1" rifle give you a better chance of putting the bullet where you are aiming than a 4" rifle does?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe missing is part of the sport?

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I bought the port kit from AS. It definitely helped tame the ejection, and the accuracy a bit. I’ll probably get the adjustable one when the smoke clears a bit from all the other stuff I really needed of late. I have some notions I’d like to explore, and for the price, that’s a more convenient way to go over more port swapping.

I’d like to try bedding as well, but shipping is such a PITA and risky, so I’ll probably look into a DIY approach. Still, the current level of performance is completely satisfactory for that rifle’s purpose. I see lots of AR carbine shooters on the 50-yard range nearby, and they’re not doing any better than I am, often worse.
I’ve bedded a bunch of rifles, lots of bolt guns, even a Win. M-100, never tried a Mini.

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I like them for what they are. My old one is a stainless 188 series pencil barrel Ranch Rifle which was our ranch truck rifle. Cracked a couple of windshields with it shooting coyotes and hogs.

With that rifle I've shot several 1 inch 3 shot groups at a hundred but only did that with first round shots over several days. Trying to shoot groups other than first rounders would go 3-4 inches.

About six years ago when our northern Nevada Walmarts still sold guns I found a 583 series on closeout using Brickseek. One of the stores had two in stock @ $399 and my intention was to buy both.

Got to the store and was talking to the guy who was in line in front of me and he had the same idea. This was the year they were closing out Weatherby Vangards @ $249 for synthetic stocks and $299 for wood. Bought a bunch of those too.

The guy in front of me was a gentlemanly sort and didn't hog both guns so I bought the last one. When we got it out of the box to log the serial number I noticed the stock was cracked at the wrist. I was going to pass but the manager offered a 10% discount so I bought it for $359. Ruger customer service being as good as they've always been to me sent a new stock.

It's just sat in the safe unfired but I need to send it to AS for a trigger job, bedding and a adjustable gas block. Might even put on a mini strut. It should still be way less $$ than a new one.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by patberg
I have about 50 varmint rifles. I always grab one of my mini's first. They are just fun to shoot. I dont care about 1" groups, the coyotes and fox we hunt are usually running anyway. Group size doesnt matter then. I guess I dont know why everyone thinks that you have to have such small groups for a hunting rifle.

Doesn't a 1" rifle give you a better chance of putting the bullet where you are aiming than a 4" rifle does?
Yeah.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot of people gripe about it being "overgassed" and flinging their precious empty cases 20 yards away. I personally don't care where my empties go, as long as they're not hitting me. I say let them suckers fly. I don't find the .223 cartridge to be a terribly economical cartridge to reload anyway.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,214 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,916
Posts18,479,651
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.