Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
BTDT !

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This is what I ended up doing. 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200. Has cruise, abs, shaft drive, traction control, ride modes, and Russell Day Long custom seat. 27000 miles. These engines are extremely long lived generally. Lots of riders have run them over 100K miles. One rider has over 300,000 on his.

When I hop off the bike, I feel kinda neutral about it. There's nothing that I say I love, and there's nothing that's horrible about it.

Power is very good, comfort is very good, handling is good, agility is decent, and the brakes are so so. The front brake is good, while the back brake is weak and mushy. It takes a pretty good jab to get it to do anything, then ABS kicks in before the brakes do much slowing. The engine is unrefined and makes a lot of interesting noises. Vibration is there, but not obtrusive. The exhaust note is wonderful...when it can be heard over the mechanical sounds of the engine. On/off throttle response is very jerky in sport mode and jerky in standard mode. Wind management is excellent. Fuel economy is good. I haven't really tested the suspension, but it's going to end up being good for my needs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
This is what I ended up doing. 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200. Has cruise, abs, shaft drive, traction control, ride modes, and Russell Day Long custom seat. 27000 miles. These engines are extremely long lived generally. Lots of riders have run them over 100K miles. One rider has over 300,000 on his.

When I hop off the bike, I feel kinda neutral about it. There's nothing that I say I love, and there's nothing that's horrible about it.

Power is very good, comfort is very good, handling is good, agility is decent, and the brakes are so so. The front brake is good, while the back brake is weak and mushy. It takes a pretty good jab to get it to do anything, then ABS kicks in before the brakes do much slowing. The engine is unrefined and makes a lot of interesting noises. Vibration is there, but not obtrusive. The exhaust note is wonderful...when it can be heard over the mechanical sounds of the engine. On/off throttle response is very jerky in sport mode and jerky in standard mode. Wind management is excellent. Fuel economy is good. I haven't really tested the suspension, but it's going to end up being good for my needs.

Congrats on the bike, Paul, how's it working out for you?

Picked up a KTM 890 a while back and I've been very pleased with it so far:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a bike for a year. I didn’t like it as much I thought that I would but it was fun for a minute. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I've got quite possibly the most impractical motorcycle that any 67 year old man could have. It has a 75 mile range. The rear end is slammed so low that the shocks have virtually no movement at all,....they're like struts. The bars are too low, the pegs are too far forward, it vibrates pretty good until about 85 where it smooths out a bit. So I often find myself flirting with triple digit speeds on the interstate just to smooth it out--which makes the loose, 67 year old skin on my face fold back until I look like some type of geriatric gargoyle and blows my knees out to the side like a pair of bat wings

Actually, it's made to appeal to somebody about 25 years old. But it's a hoot to take two Aleve, fill the tank, and go beat myself up on it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
😂😂😂

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No bike for the first time in many years and looking to remedy that. Last one a few years back on a Sunday ride

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Congrats on the bike, Paul, how's it working out for you?

Picked up a KTM 890 a while back and I've been very pleased with it so far:

I never warmed up to it and have moved on. When I finally got it out in less than calm conditions, it was HORRIBLE in gusty winds, particularly in cross winds. I also had a fork seal leak that I paid $800 to have repaired. It started leaking again. Took it back to the shop. They said they "think they got it fixed." I traded it in. Talk about a radical change in direction.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
$800 for a fork seal...ouch. I've always done them myself but couldn't imagine they would charge that. I've known a few folks who have gone the larger scooter route and rave about the comfort and practicality. The KTM is my most street-oriented bike but I still want the ability to hit dirtier stuff when I see a new road and wonder where it goes.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
$800 for a fork seal...ouch. I've always done them myself but couldn't imagine they would charge that. I've known a few folks who have gone the larger scooter route and rave about the comfort and practicality. The KTM is my most street-oriented bike but I still want the ability to hit dirtier stuff when I see a new road and wonder where it goes.

It's very labor intensive. You have to have a special stand and remove the entire triple tree and a lot of other stuff.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow. Nice bikes! I don't know how I missed this! Here are mine. I do ride both daily (weather permitting). I am a dinosaur 1984 Shovelhead FXEF Fatbob SuperGlide and 1992 Evo FXSTC Softail Custom.

Last edited by sbrmike; 12/02/23.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Wow. Nice bikes! I don't know how I missed this! Here are mine. I do ride both daily (weather permitting). I am a dinosaur 1984 Shovelhead FXEF Fatbob SuperGlide and 1992 Evo FXSTC Softail Custom.
I like the Shovelhead!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
01 Wide Glide

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Farming
Geebers. Look at that low gear!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
No derailleur gotta pick your poison!

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1minute, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,152
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.