Print Thread
Hop To
G
guyotrd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I am an avid recreational shooter and am wanting a nice high quality Winchester 1892 for shooting pleasure and accuracy. You hardly ever see them at Sheels so unfortunately I will have to buy on-line. I have a Freedom Arms 83 in 45 LC and am looking to consolidate the ammo locker. I also have a S&W 44M but I really like the idea of 45 LC . I am lucky enough to have several nice hunting rifles so I really just want this one for shooting at targets and possibly hot loads for Hog hunting. I appreciate well made objects and quality - I would very much appreciate informed opinions on the balance and handling of the 20 vs 24 Octagon, whether I should pass on the take down as many complain about the looseness and accuracy. The 20in base model on the Winchester website seems like it may have a lower quality barrel than the "deluxe" which is important to me as I really enjoy an accurate rifle. The Marlin 94 has a good reputation but they look mass produced and cheap on-line "steel alloy" - although my SS 1895 is a very fine gun - just not a lot of fun shooting a couple boxes of ammo as well as expensive. Unfortunately only the deluxe takedown and the base model seem to be available and since it is for shooting and not collecting I thought I should not get an older one although I would love one on the mantle.

Thanks for reading.

I posted this on the Winchester forum but got no response

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I think the best thing you can do is look for one of the Browning/Miroku repros that were made a few years back. Those are beautifully done and extremely well made.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For a new 1892 Winchester copy the choices are Italian made, Brazilian made or Japanese made. I feel the Japanese made (Miroku/Winchester) are probably of higher quality/finish than the others. Not sure why you'd think a base model Winchester would have a "lower quality barrel" than the "deluxe". I doubt they install any different quality barrels on their rifles, it's mainly just the degree of finish and wood. The Marlin has a good reputation because they are good. Yes they are mass produced (no clue what you're referring to as "cheap on-line steel alloy") just like any other firearm made today unless you go with a semi-custom such as the Big Horn armory Model 90B. The Marlin is no longer made in .45 but there are many out there on the secondary market like this Limited edition model like this one: https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/101439681. As far as handling, that's kind of subjective and depending on your usage, you'll have to handle a few to determine what you want.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
guyotrd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks for the response - It is difficult to make your decision without ever handling the guns and nobody stocks them, I would think here in Texas there would be a small lever action shop - but no such luck - I am sure 100 yrs ago there were several. - The Miroku Winchester seem to be the clear winner between that and the Italian /and Brazilain clones. I read on the Winchester website that on the deluxe mode the barrels are button rifled while on the base model it does not say anything specific. I understand the difference between Button, Cold Hammer Forged and Cut - I just thought it odd that they called it out on the deluxe takedowns and not on the base - I also looked at the Bighorn Armory and they look superb - I just can't justify 5500 for a rifle. As to the Marlin my 1895 is pure stainless steel and you can really see the quality and precision. I am really hoping to hear bout whether the 20 or 24 Winchester handles better from a balance perspective and if getting a take down would be a mistake - I like things to be nice and tight - although the 39a I gave my son for Christmas years ago is a fine rifle. Thanks for the Marlin link at Cabelas - I will look into that - there are several new Winchester Deluxe Takedowns on Gunbroker also in the 2k range

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don’t think anyone can advise on what YOU want. There is a difference in balance points between a light 20” round barrel vs the heavier 24” octagon, but one is not “better” than the other. There’s also a difference in handling between the pistol grip stock on the “deluxe” vs the standards that Winchester markets as does buttplate design. Again, personal preference. As far as the takedown, original Winchesters have a means to compensate for wear to keep them tight, I don’t know about the reproductions. If you’re reading first hand reports/complaints of “looseness and accuracy “ then there’s a clue. Accuracy wise, we’re talking about an iron sighted pistol caliber rifle here, not a long range varmint rifle. For the most part your accuracy will be determined by your skill with the sights, and a longer barrel/sighting radius will be an advantage.
No one can tell you what you’re going be happy with, personal preferences and uses apply. If having an 1892 lookalike is your driving desire, the Miroku made models are probably the best quality made presently. Pick the one you like the looks of and go for it.
If just having a .45 Colt chambered rifle as a shooter, and you’re happy with your 1895 Marlin, then look into an 1894 Marlin on the secondary market.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with others on the Browning/Miroku as the best 92, other than the original 1892 Winchesters. I have a Winchester/Miroku (1886) and a Browning/Miroku (1885) and a Model 71 Browning/Miroku. The Winchester/Miroku has a rebounding hammer that I dislike very much. The Browning is more like the original Winchester and in my mind is much preferred.
If the choice was between a Winchester/Miroku and a Rossi, I'd take the Rossi and I dislike the Rossi's cheap stock. I dislike the rebounding hammer a lot. If you get the Winchester/Miroku you can send it to:

Turnbull Restoration
6680 State Route 5 and 20
Bloomfield, NY 14469

They can fix the rebounding hammer issue, the cost for this correction is not cheap.

Last edited by Bugger; 12/06/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't think the Browning/Miroku 1892 was offered in .45 Colt, but it was a best copy of the original Winchester design. No rebounding hammer or that obnoxious tang safety.

Charter Member

szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tmitch
I don't think the Browning/Miroku 1892 was offered in .45 Colt, but it was a best copy of the original Winchester design. No rebounding hammer or that obnoxious tang safety.

You’re probably right regarding the 45 Colt.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If you’re used to the tight tolerances of a FA pistol I think you might find chambers of 45LC rifles to be a little sloppy by comparison. I think it’s built into the SAAMI specs. Same goes for reloading dies. FA do mention not to use 45LC dies when loading 454 ammo as the tolerances are too great.

Most of the new Winchester 92’s made by Miroku will have crescent steel buttplates. These look good and authentic etc but with heavier loads can be painful for most users. Some here love them and there is knack to using them but they are not for me. I prefer the shotgun butt style buttstock like the ones on a lot of 1894 Winchesters.

If you had deep pockets you could go to Turnbull and get them to build you a nice example with the stock configuration you want, fit the barrel profile and twist you desire, ensure it has a tight chamber, delete the tang safety and rebounding hammer and slick up the action for you.

Another alternative is to find a Browning 92 and have it rebarrelled to 45LC and make sure the chamber specs are tighter so you can interchange ammo between your FA pistol and rifle.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Ouch

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Army_PSG
I think the best thing you can do is look for one of the Browning/Miroku repros that were made a few years back. Those are beautifully done and extremely well made.
Yes, expect to pay up to $2k for a nice one. These rifles are very well made. I had 2 takedown versions in 38-40 & 44-40 that I sold but wish I hadn't!

Ken
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JFE
If you’re used to the tight tolerances of a FA pistol I think you might find chambers of 45LC rifles to be a little sloppy by comparison. I think it’s built into the SAAMI specs. Same goes for reloading dies. FA do mention not to use 45LC dies when loading 454 ammo as the tolerances are too great.
Isn't that the truth! I have a 18 year old Rossi 92 in .45 colt, and when I reload the brass after shooting, even into a carbide die, I feel like I'm full-length re-sizing a .50BMG! Very sloppy 45 colt chambers in Rossi 92s, not sure about the recent Winchesters.

Ken
C
C
I know you said you're looking for a 92 and to consolidate your ammo locker, maybe a compromise. I have a 2000's vintage tang safety 94 in 357 with a 20in barrel that points so well and it's really tight. ( Made in Connecticut, USA ) I know Winchester made that rifle in a 45LC also. I actually passed on 1 some years ago for the same ammo consolidation reason. I had a 357 and 44mag, didn't need a 45LC or so I thought at the time.

I have a 92 in 32-20 made in 1909 that is just as tight and smooth as the 2 new 94's but that throws ammo consolidation out the window and probably not enough poop for hog hunting.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,251 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,288
Posts18,486,906
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.