Print Thread
Hop To
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Looking for uninsulated shells, really, as I have some wool liners I can wear under them if it's cold. Just not seeing anything. Any ideas? Thanks

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've had great luck with the Kuiu Axis gloves. Thin and waterproof. They've been great for both hunting and ice fishing. And they're on sale for $29 right now!

L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Appreciate that, talentrec.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice gloves but I think my hands are colder with them on.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use these as light weight waterproof shells while backpacking:

Showa 282s

They have a pile lining that is loosely laminated to the shell which I pull out and cut off. Then I use them alone or with wool liners. They're thin and tough and provide pretty good dexterity. The best option by far that I've ever tried. The xxl size fits my big mitts with room for a substantial liner. Got the idea from Andrew Skurka's website.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule

Showa 282s

They have a pile lining that is loosely laminated to the shell which I pull out and cut off. Then I use them alone or with wool liners. They're thin and tough and provide pretty good dexterity. The best option by far that I've ever tried. The xxl size fits my big mitts with room for a substantial liner. Got the idea from Andrew Skurka's website.
This is good to know about them:
[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Showa 282 and 282-02 are excellent and you'll be glad you bought them.

Favorite gloves of Japanese fishermen and processors and ice climbers.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm liking my Seal skinz gloves.

Virgil B.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Nice gloves but I think my hands are colder with them on.

I too, have made the same observation. I have begun to wonder if it's the individual and not the glove type. Some people's feet sweat in boots, some don't. Some people's hands are constantly cold, some aren't. In reference to the gloves, it makes me wonder if there are ANY that will keep your hands warm. My choices work pretty good, but I have found nothing that keeps my phalanges totally warm.

I wear Sitka gloves for blind sitting &/or $5 Wal Mart wool gloves that work great.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I agree with the showa 282. We use them commercial fishing and they're great.

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I also wear a thin pair of wool or acrylic gloves under them if it gets really cold.

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
cant go wrong with showa

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have 2 pairs of thin Gore-tex gloves that I bought years ago. They work great - until I need to take them on or off. If my hands are in the least big damp, the liner fabric sticks to the skin. Putting them on is several minutes of tugging to get my fingers all the way down then finger holes. Taking them off always means inverting the fingers. The goretex does keep my hands dry in them, though. It's fabric in the gloves that's the problem. They're totally worthless.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by talentrec
I've had great luck with the Kuiu Axis gloves. Thin and waterproof. They've been great for both hunting and ice fishing. And they're on sale for $29 right now!

This is the way I went and now, after having duck and goose hunted in them a half dozen times, I thought I would check back in.

First, the gloves are sized quite small. The first XL pair I was sent were WAY too small. I couldn't open my hand up fully as the material in the palm wouldn't allow it. I sent those back and exchanged for an XXL pair. This pair fits quite well and has kept me warm and dry both on the river and in the rain out in a goose field. Easy to operate a gun with them on. Have only hunted down to about freezing with them so far, so I don't know what to expect below that.

So far very pleased!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like the Kuiu Axis gloves enough that after one elk season I bought them as Christmas presents for all my hunting family members - on sale of course.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought a pair of the 282's. $20 on Amazon

I bought a size larger than I normally wear.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by longarm
Looking for uninsulated shells, really, as I have some wool liners I can wear under them if it's cold. Just not seeing anything. Any ideas? Thanks

dishwashing gloves

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule

Showa 282s

Was going to say those look like what I use but different brand. Temres 282. Same same. Got them from Barneys in Anchorage after asking... as peninsula weather just sucks wet most times.

Wont hardly use any others now for wet.

For skinning stuff wet or not, use big dishwashing gloves with cuffs.

FWIW a handful of just medical gloves isnt' a bad thing either depending.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,201
Posts18,485,216
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.