Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I see an advantage to the 6mm in recoil, but bullets, BC and terminal effects to the 6.5.

And, although I reload, availability of off the shelf ammo.

Net win to the 6.5? Or am I missing something?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter
IAnd, although I reload, availability of off the shelf ammo.

That is the answer to the question. 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo comes in all flavors imaginable.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I'd say the 6.5 CM is more versatile than the 6mm. And recoil from the 6.5 is pretty low so that factor doesn't matter much for most people.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JamesJr
IAnd, although I reload, availability of off the shelf ammo.

That is the answer to the question. 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo comes in all flavors imaginable.

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

If the availability of factory ammo is important, then the 6.5 CM has so many more factory ammo options and is so widely available that it isn't even close. When you can buy multiple varieties of factory ammo at Wal-Mart, you know that that cartridge has achieved mainstream status, ranking right up with long term mainstream cartridges like the 270, 30-30. 308, and 30-06.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I see an advantage to the 6mm in recoil, but bullets, BC and terminal effects to the 6.5.

And, although I reload, availability of off the shelf ammo.

Net win to the 6.5? Or am I missing something?

The 6.5 CM wins in a lot of arenas: Lower cost ammo, more to chose from, more factory rifles chambered in the 6.5. Where the 6mm wins is with less recoil, and with the right bullets, it wins out over the 6.5 in wind drift. I shoot longrange with a lot of guys that have went from 6.5 to various 6mm's, like the GT for example and they like to brag about how the wind doesn't effect the flight of the bullet. Plus, they are spotting their hits and misses easier. They shoot damn good scores with their 6mm's, so I believe them. Then you have some that have gone 6mm, and then go back to the 6.5 Creedmoor because components were easier to find. Barrel life is also better with the 6.5 vs. a fast 6mm, so that needs to be considered as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I think its dependent on the needs of the individual. For me, the 6mm makes more sense. I am a hunter that isn’t comfortable shooting game much past 400 yards. That means my 7mm rifles do anything a 6.5 could do. However, for a light recoiling rifle and the ability to shoot a bit heavier bullet with the proper twist and magazine space, the 6mm CM would be perfect.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
6.5 Creedmoor for the win!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The 6 creed recoils less and shoots flatter with its most slippery bullets. There’s nothing I’d shoot with one that I wouldn’t shoot with the other. There’s the ammo availability issue, which for those that prepare well is a non-issue

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
The 6 creed recoils less and shoots flatter with its most slippery bullets. There’s nothing I’d shoot with one that I wouldn’t shoot with the other. There’s the ammo availability issue, which for those that prepare well is a non-issue
That’s plenty gun for 70 lb does and spikes, Paul.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you're shooting at targets at long range the 6mm is the better option. It will kill anything a 243 will kill as a hunting cartridge. But the 6.5 comes pretty close and is by far more versatile as a hunting and target rifle. The 6.5 will kill anything a 270 will kill.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
6mm is always niche towards range/steel/target/varmint because it has bullets under 120 grains, even despite fantastic sd/bc and velocities...it's still under 120 gr bullets and many hunters, even highly educated ones speaking fluent ballistics, just prefer 120 grains or more of bullet on the minimum end as a viable big game round...that's the full story, and because of that you see why the factory ammo selections will be better etc. it's just more versatile with the heavier manbun, doesn't matter what cartridge class you discuss, the 6.5 always wins over the niche 6mm

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve at least (6) rifles in each chambering. Both are Supersonic with The Good Stuff to 1600yds+. Hint.

Mass is moot and the chatter of Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqks. Hint………..

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote
6mm is always niche towards range/steel/target/varmint because it has bullets under 120 grains, even despite fantastic sd/bc and velocities...it's still under 120 gr bullets and many hunters, even highly educated ones speaking fluent ballistics, just prefer 120 grains or more of bullet on the minimum end as a viable big game round...that's the full story, and because of that you see why the factory ammo selections will be better etc. it's just more versatile with the heavier manbun, doesn't matter what cartridge class you discuss, the 6.5 always wins over the niche 6mm

Both have excellent bullets available for them. I consider them both deer and varmint cartridges so an extra 15 grains of bullet weight doesn't matter to me.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I bought my FC in 6mm because it was what they had, and I already had a bunch of 6mm bullets. Finally killed a couple of deer with it about 10 days ago, and surprise surprise, they died just like they do with similar hits from a .243, .308, .270 etc. Used 95gr LRXs.

I think the lighter recoil might be an advantage in a very light rifle, especially shooting of the bench. The only 6.5 I’ve shot was my son’s Hunter, and it was pretty lively, much more so than my FC. Might need to adjust your technique a bit.

I’d be fine with either.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
lol stick, super sonic to 1600 yards is moot and you need to stop projecting your drooling clueless drivel....you're like watching the news, whatever they say, it's the opposite

how many elephants were killed with 6mm? how many moose across the puddle killed with 6.5...no offence but it's easily observable that the line between niche and full blown hunting caliber is between these two, you can 1600 yard supersonic it all you want haha

if it's not expressly stated 'what for' then because this was posted in the 'hunting rifles' section....then the question has been answered, even more definitively in the past few posts lol

get over yer butthurt stick

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I bought my FC in 6mm because it was what they had, and I already had a bunch of 6mm bullets. Finally killed a couple of deer with it about 10 days ago, and surprise surprise, they died just like they do with similar hits from a .243, .308, .270 etc. Used 95gr LRXs.

I think the lighter recoil might be an advantage in a very light rifle, especially shooting of the bench. The only 6.5 I’ve shot was my son’s Hunter, and it was pretty lively, much more so than my FC. Might need to adjust your technique a bit.

I’d be fine with either.

Wound tracks pretty much same/same compared to those from the other cartridges, as well?

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Didn’t check “wound tracks”. Full penetration, naturally, and innards were soup. Exit holes weren’t big. Didn’t process these two, so can’t comment on the amount of jellied meat. Shot was too high on one so he travelled maybe 100 yards, but was bled out inside. The doe’s heart was cut loose and rolled out when I opened her up. She went about 20 yards in full view.

In the past, I’ve had a lot of meat jellied pretty far from the hit by bullet and maybe bone fragments. For whatever deer shooting I’ll do in the future, I plan on using monos or bonded to reduce that. Last four I gunned were with those, and except for that high shot, all went down quickly. 6.5 Grendel, .308, and these two with the 6.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
That’s plenty gun for 70 lb does and spikes, Paul.

I never have been lucky enough to bag a spike. I do have my taxidermist sitting on ready though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've killed multiple deer with a 243 and a 6.5 Swede.

The Swede was a huge disappointment at first.
Some of the bullets others love, left my wanting.
Eventually I followed advice from Sierra engineer.
😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

The 243 has been used a lot, with bullets from 75 to 100 grain.
It has consistently shown better than the 6.5 with those disappointing bullets.
And been inconsistent itself.

Both are more than capable of killing,
i think it's easier to find my 6.5 shot deer.
(First bullet attempts were marred by several unrecoverable deer)

My thoughts, based on deer, shot in the chest.
DGAFF about brain/spine shots.
They are irrelevant, a 22Mag FMJ is outstanding in that application.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
6-CM = .243 Improved

6.5 CM =.270 Improved

Rio7

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,171
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.