-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm fortunate or unfortunate enough, depending on how you look at it, to have a Ruger 77 Hawkeye 338 RCM. In general I like the gun and the 338RCM itself.
However, the stock leaves something to be desired.
Tupperware just doesn't do it for me. Aftermarket choices are pretty much non-existent. H-S Precision makes a stock, but advises that the WSM and RCM chambering may not work because of the magazine dimensions.
Anyone put a H-S stock on Hawkeye WSM or RCM? If so, how much alteration was needed.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Maybe go wood or laminate. It's an option

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, a call to H-S Precision this AM provided some clarification. The magazine dimensions as well as the barrel profile limit the RCMs and WSMs from fitting properly in the current offering Hawkeye S/A offering. I was 'cautioned' about trying to modify the stock for the larger magazine.

As it turns out though, H-S Precision is in the closing stages of development of a Hawkeye S/A stock that will accommodate the larger magazine and barrel profile. This is supposedly part of an OEM effort with Ruger and I suspect a new offering in the wind from Ruger. H-S expects to complete development and be in production in the next couple of months. Stocks will be available outside the OEM channel, and thru participating H-S dealers. A prototype may be available for fondling at SHOT. In the mean time I'll keep my figures crossed and eyes open for updates on H-S's web site and various social media outlets.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That's inaccurate info, regarding the barrel profile of your 338 rcm.

Maybe the guide gun version was a little thicker, but not the original rcm carbine.

I bought a hunter stock directly from ruger, for my 338 rcm. It was for the 308 winchester. Yes, a negligible amount of material was removed from the mag box area. Barrel channel matched up fine. It's a very standard short action contour. I would have no problem getting an HS or B&C stock and doing the same. Most replacement stocks need minor adjustments/sanding anyway, whats the big fkn deal?

Laughable that they'd detract you from opening mag box area of a stock.......
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 12/06/23.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
That's inaccurate info, regarding the barrel profile of your 338 rcm.

Maybe the guide gun version was a little thicker, but not the original rcm carbine.

I bought a hunter stock directly from ruger, for my 338 rcm. It was for the 308 winchester. Yes, a negligible amount of material was removed from the mag box area. Barrel channel matched up fine. It's a very standard short action contour. I would have no problem getting an HS or B&C stock and doing the same. Most replacement stocks need minor adjustments/sanding anyway, whats the big fkn deal?

Laughable that they'd detract you from opening mag box area of a stock.......
I suspect the "big fkn deal" is stock integrity. If you start removing material in that area behind the recoil lug maybe HS doesn't think the stock will hold up any more. Just my thoughts and worth what you paid for them. Having had a 338 RCM and a buddy with a 300 RCM, I wouldn't go the factory wood stock route unless you plan to replace the recoil pad with something more substantial. My 338 RCM was in a McMillan with a 1" pad and that wasn't bad. My buddy's 300 RCM kicks like a mule in the factory configuration (wood stock/thin pad) but with the pad replaced for a 1" decelerator, it's not bad.

Nice rifle Mainer. Kinda wish I'd not sold the one I had.

Last edited by Technoman26; 12/07/23. Reason: spelling
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,168
Posts18,484,544
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.