Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
So I have a like new SUM Olympic Arms barrel. problem is I can't get a bolt to close on a 223 go gauge. The barrel is marked 5.56, but that shouldn't matter right? Can I find an inexpensive fix or do I have a paper weight?

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have a reamer? You could stick one in and give it a twist until the bolt closes. Trying to find a different bolt is probably going to be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Or just size your ammo to fit.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by m1rifleman
So I have a like new SUM Olympic Arms barrel. problem is I can't get a bolt to close on a 223 go gauge. The barrel is marked 5.56, but that shouldn't matter right? Can I find an inexpensive fix or do I have a paper weight?

SUM= stainless ultra match-- basically a match barrel.

The SUM barrels were not chambered in 5.56 nato to my limited knowledge of them. They were chambered in 223 saami, which is a little different than 5.56x45.

Try a 223 go gauge and it should close on it.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks Tyrone. my thoughts too.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 5.56 chamber should be just a wee bit more generous in measurements than a 223. The 223 go gauge should still allow the bolt to close, with the extractor and ejector in place. To properly headspace you should remove the extractor and the ejector from the bolt and cut the chamber until the bolt closes on the go guage but not on the no go. Then re-install the extractor and ejector.

If it is a nitrided barrel, it will eat up a high speed steel reamer. So a carbide reamer would be best used to start with. When cutting a chamber, best to always use a lathe at low speed with cutting oil and clean frequently.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
john, you are right on SUM but it is marked 5.56-1/8.5 twist? we tried the 223 go gauge and would not close. however I just tried what Tyrone suggest and carefully put a sized case in a spare bolt+ carrier and the bolt locked in?

Last edited by m1rifleman; 12/06/23.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
See my post in "Gunsmithing" section. I had exactly the same problem. I have two Olympic barrels and they both shoot great.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
cant you send it back? what id try first is loading a couple rounds using a small base die and see if the bolt closes on them. if you dont handload try the factory ammo you have. if it chambers and ejects easily by hand why worry about iy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by winky
cant you send it back?

Send it back to who? Olympic?

Olympic closed after more than 30 years in business back around 2018/19'ish.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The problem is its olympic... they tried. They were just not capable for the most part.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
rost. I respect your opinion since I know you know your way around ARs. but The SUM barrel was thought to be an extremely accurate one. this one apparently was cut a tad short so at least its salvageable. as a 5.56 barrel, I want to be able to shoot both 5.56 and 223. so find a guy with a reamer or buy one myself.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They were really accurate barrels. They just had no clue how to set them up correctly unfortunately.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
i didnt know they quit but i thought i heard back around then that remington owned them. i had to junk olys back in the day. worse ars i ever owned. but i bought their cheap sportical back must have been close to the time they went under and that thing was a tack driver. told my buddy and he bought one and said the same about his. wish i would have kept it. it was the lightest 16 in gun ive owned and that made it handy rifle

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by winky
i had to junk olys back in the day. worse ars i ever owned...

Not an uncommon experience...

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 21, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,093
Posts18,482,995
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.