Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
338rcm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure this has been gone over on here before, did a search and couldnt find it.

What is the most recommended replacement Bottom metal? Would like silver or stainless finish

Last edited by 338rcm; 12/06/23.
HR IC

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I went with a High Desert Rifle Works Trigger "stainless" guard. It came with shims and a Torx bit. I'm very happy with it.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I also used the High Desert Rifle Works bottom metal. Excellent quality, was an upgrade in my eyes. Not sure it was a functional improvement, but I wanted bottom METAL. I have no issue w/ the plastic magazines, however. You only have to please yourself.

Last edited by Sagewind; 12/06/23.

Most of all he loved the fall
The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods
Leaves floating on the trout steams and above the hills
The high blue windless skies
Now he will be part of them, forever
- Earnest Hemingway, Idaho- 1939
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like the Mountain Tactical bottom metal, you don't need shims to make it work well either. However, I don't think they make them with a silver finish. They are a great bottom metal for the T3/T3x rifle though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have to say I have owned a bunch of tikkas and replaced bottom metal, bolt handles, bolt shrouds, action screws, recoil lugs etc…

All the replacement stuff worked great and sometimes looked a little better, but none of it made my gun shoot any better or function smoother. Also I have never seen in person any of the tikka plastic stuff wear out or break. The tikka plastic quality on their stocks and other parts seems a step above most others to me, maybe because as Fins they run them in a lot of really cold weather to test them which is hard on plastics in general.

So now I save my money, just tune the trigger a bit and shoot them as is. The T3X factory lug, pad and shroud are better than the T3 was now as well.

Spence

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Another vote for High Desert Rifle Works.
If you have any questions you can contact the owner Thomas Gomez through email. He was very helpful and quick to respond.
I have 2 of their bottom metals installed and am very happy with them.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
PR Precision out of Canada makes a nice stainless and aluminum copy of the original plastic design. I think it looks better than the other options.

I have a couple on my tikka's myself.

265 Cad$ for stainless which comes out to 195$ usd. Not sure if they ship to the usa though.

[url=https://www.prprecisionrifles.com/products-1/p/tikka-t3-bottom-metal][/url]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Does anyone make a blind magazine option for the Tikka?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
high desert vote number whatever, amazing precision, had to gently tap it in with rubber mallet such a perfect fit, didn't need any shims for the factory t3x lite stock

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mine is a Mountain Tactical and I’m happy with it.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
With a single feed position in the Tikka not sure you could do it, but I wish they could. The feature I hate most in Tikkas is the detachable magazine. Fine on the Tactical models but I have no need on a hunting rifle, just something to lose. I like Tikkas so have to live with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I like the Mountain Tactical bottom metal, you don't need shims to make it work well either. However, I don't think they make them with a silver finish. They are a great bottom metal for the T3/T3x rifle though.

Just checked the Mountain Tactical site and no bottom metal listed at all, or magazines for that matter. Went there to buy another as they work very well with my Tikkas.
Anyone know if they still make the Tikka T3 bottom metal?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Just checked the Mountain Tactical site and no bottom metal listed at all, or magazines for that matter. Went there to buy another as they work very well with my Tikkas.
Anyone know if they still make the Tikka T3 bottom metal?

https://www.mountaintactical.com/categories/tikka-t3t3x-bottom-metal

Originally Posted by spence1875
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
With a single feed position in the Tikka not sure you could do it, but I wish they could. The feature I hate most in Tikkas is the detachable magazine. Fine on the Tactical models but I have no need on a hunting rifle, just something to lose. I like Tikkas so have to live with it.

In 20+ years of hunting with one, I have yet to lose one.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The factory one works fine

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No bottom metal on Mountain Tactical site. Follow the link you posted, nothing there. I think Midway has them in stock however.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Look before you leap. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The vastly improved bottom metal,is a 50% solution,as you are left suffering the horribly fhuqking schitty OEM mags. Going CTR or AICS is THE Cure. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
High dessert for me, but mainly for looks due to the nicely figured wood stock on hunter model 222. Couldn’t stomach nice wood with plastic.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick

The vastly improved bottom metal,is a 50% solution,as you are left suffering the horribly fhuqking schitty OEM mags. Going CTR or AICS is THE Cure. Hint...............

Educate me, I'm ignorant on T3x AICS options. What's the best offering for short action t3x's?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by spence1875
I have to say I have owned a bunch of tikkas and replaced bottom metal, bolt handles, bolt shrouds, action screws, recoil lugs etc…

All the replacement stuff worked great and sometimes looked a little better, but none of it made my gun shoot any better or function smoother. Also I have never seen in person any of the tikka plastic stuff wear out or break. The tikka plastic quality on their stocks and other parts seems a step above most others to me, maybe because as Fins they run them in a lot of really cold weather to test them which is hard on plastics in general.

So now I save my money, just tune the trigger a bit and shoot them as is. The T3X factory lug, pad and shroud are better than the T3 was now as well.

Spence

This is most likely the best answer in the thread!

I only went bottom metal because I like farmer tight things, so more for peace of mind and to protect the rifle from me lol.

And while I generally don't like plastic, lots of guys seem to have gone back to factory tikka mags because nothing feeds so quiet slick and quick, so should a guy somehow wear the nubbins out from so many in and outs it's not hard to have a spare or two on hand which a guy should have anyway for any detach mag rifle. They've proven durable enough for majority so far and agree they are not easy magazines to lose by accidental latch trip or not putting it in far enough to 'click'. If a guy has to have a plastic mag its a pretty good one to have, the pro's outweighs the con's. One way to top it though is to go sako 90 but that's a lot of money for the best mag in the business, good thing is a lot of other nice things come along with that mag. wink

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Educate me, I'm ignorant on T3x AICS options. What's the best offering for short action t3x's?

research the topic also of how many that went 'high cap' mag systems etc. have now gone back to the factory stuff for the speed, quiet, and slickity slick feeding...it's a thing, not much can out cycle/feed a tikka with factory mags, just keep that on a shelf in the back of your mind wink

I mean unless you wanna be a prs wannabe like little stick? haha hint....windbag

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 12/09/23.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (358wsm, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 2500HD, 204guy, 26 invisible), 2,095 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,897
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.