Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1234 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
i have a kimber hunter and have read many times where removing the gel in the hollow buttstock will lighten the rifle by 8 ozes. what is the trick to removing it i have pried with a putty knife drilled holes in it and removed very little.what have you found that works?

thanks Ed

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Take a small flat tip screw driver and just work it along the edge while spraying wd40 into the small gap between the plastic and gel. Then take a big screwdriver and drive it right down the middle of the gel. It will pull out in one nice solid piece. Have done this on four of these now. Don't forget the wedge of gel under the grip cap. Just pop it off, do the same. A couple of drops of superglue on the cap when reinstalling and your done.

Easiest rifle diet plan out there.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Will do on mine!

1234 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks will try on mine.

Ed

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While there is a hollow buttstock sound after the gel is gone, it isn't as bad as most tupperware stocks, but it's still there. Stuffing a few walmart plastic bags into the stock weights nothing and deadens the sound considerably.

Last edited by Steelruger22; 12/08/23.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
As long as its not needed for structural strength, any of the expanding closed-cell foam in the can be used to fill that void. Just tape of aroung the area that you're going to apply the foam 'cause when it expands and comes out of the void it may curl around and stick to any unprotected area. Once you've applied it, wait about ten-minutes to make sure it's fairly cured and fully expanded. Then cut it flush with a sharp blade or razor. That will deaden sound better than any of the other things mentioned.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
As long as its not needed for structural strength, any of the expanding closed-cell foam in the can be used to fill that void. Just tape of aroung the area that you're going to apply the foam 'cause when it expands and comes out of the void it may curl around and stick to any unprotected area. Once you've applied it, wait about ten-minutes to make sure it's fairly cured and fully expanded. Then cut it flush with a sharp blade or razor. That will deaden sound better than any of the other things mentioned.

This^^^^^^

Forbidden Zoner
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I AGREE! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THE WINDOW AND DOOR IS CLOSED CELL FOAM! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree that foam is 100% the way to go. Two of the four I've done have that, one is still hallow as the sound didnt bother my buddy and the last one got trash bags. Not as good as foam but did a better job then I anticipated.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (450yukon, 375sunrise, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 22 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,507
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.