Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Anybody have a tried and true recipe?

Went to the grocery store today and picked up some organic flour, yeast, Rao's pizza sauce, dry mozzarella, parmesan, and pecorino romano.

I like the thinner crust NY style but willing to experiment.

Help a brother out, I'm bored and tired of paying out the nose for crap pizza.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Never made my own crust, I lived near an Italian bakery and on Friday they made pizza crust dough. We used Prego sauce adding Italian seasoning, shredded mozzarella, pecorino romano, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and whatever other toppings we wanted. In later years we've used Pillsbury pizza crust in a tube. Made the pizza on a baking stone in the oven, it turned out really fine there were seldom any leftovers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi Morewood,

I make Killer Pizzas, better than any pizza I ever ordered from a restaurant. Real easy, but you do need a Pizza Stone and a Pizza Paddle.

I prefer thin-crust pizza as well, don't want a mouthful of bread, I prefer meat, cheese, onions, olives, mushrooms, and green peppers.

Follow this recipe exactly and everyone will rave, they do at my home. I make 1 - 14 to 15" pizza, so I do not split the dough in 1/2, I use 3/4s of the dough and the remaining dough for a fast-fried pan bread. I also put on more meat and cheese.

If you follow this recipe exactly you will get 2 x 12" pizzas that everyone will love! The pictures below are two of my pies, I put ham and pineapple on the first one, and it was outstanding. The one below was with Hot Italian Mule Deer Sausage.

Use lots of course corn meal under the pie on the paddle so it slides off easily. I add a lot more stuff to mine so they are heavier and if you do not have enough corn meal under the pie it can be hard to get it to slide off easily.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/09/23.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KillerBee
I make Killer Pizzas, better than any pizza I ever ordered from a restaurant. Real easy, but you do need a Pizza Stone and a Pizza Paddle,

I prefer thin-crust pizza as well, don't want a mouthful of bread, prefer meat cheese, onions, olives, mushrooms, and green peppers.

Follow this recipe exactly and everyone will rave, they do at my home. This recipe makes 2 x 12" pizzas, but I make 1 - 14 to 15" pizza, so I do not split the dough in 1/2, I use 3/4s of the dough and the remaining dough for a fast-fried pan bread. I also put on more meat and cheese.

If you follow this recipe exactly you will get 2 - 12" pizzas that everyone will love! The pictures below are two of my pies, I put pineapple on the first one, and it was outstanding. The one below was with Hot Italian Mule Deer Sausage.

Use lots of course corn meal under the pie on the paddle so it slides off easily. I add a lot more stuff to mine so they are heavier and if you do not have enough corn meal under the pie it can be hard to get it to slide off easily.

Look’s perfect KB

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, man, coming from a professional that makes my day! cool

KB

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It does look fantastic. What time is lunch tomorrow?

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Spaghetti sauce works in a pinch

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
My Wife does a great job.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It is important to burn the crust.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Looks great. We will give it a try.

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Looks great. We will give it a try.

In their pork sausage recipe they call for 1/4 Teaspoon of Red Pepper Flakes, I like Spicy, I use 1 Teaspoon. Add more Quality Motz Cheese and not the cheap Pizza Motz Cheese as well, makes a big difference.

Also, they call for Ice Cold Water when making the dough, I mix the water with ice cubes and when I add the water to the dough I measure it into a different measuring cup with the oil so it is Ice Cold.

Enjoy! cool

KB

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
One thing to upgrade your pizza game is to do your own sauce. Rao's is good stuff, but homemade roasted tomato sauce is a game changer.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, guys. Appreciate the tips.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Pizza seems like a easy thing to make but it took me a while to get my recipe and process down. We like thin crisp crust and that was a challenge for me.

My dough recipe:

1cup whole wheat flour
1cup bread flour
A pinch of salt
A pinch of sugar
1 packet of Fleishman's yeast mixed in 2/3cup of very warm ( not hot) water
1/4c of vegetable oil
Italian seasoning flakes to taste

mix flours, salt and Italian seasoning
add water/sugar to yeast mix. (The sugar helps with the yeasts activation) Shake well
Add all liquid ingredients to dry ingredients
Mix and knead until the dough is slightly tacky. You may need to add some flour as you knead if to wet.
Add dough to a lightly oiled container, cover and sit in warm spot. I let it rise once for just 30 min since we like a thinner crust
This make a 16" round crust

I have found that limiting the moisture in the pizza is important for a crisp crust.

Use Cento tomato paste
Dry all ingredients as much as possible
We use a kamado joe so the temp is at least 500*
The pizza stone is pre-heated
Parchment paper is used between the dough and pizza stone
Just before the pizza goes on the stone, the stone is wiped down with a wet rag. This keeps the dough from burning before the moisture in the dough cooks out.
5-6 min of cook time is all that is needed. Its crazy the difference 1 minute can make. From nice and crisp to black and burnt.. I liken burnt pizza dough to burnt popcorn. Nasty

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I make them occasionaly and make a chicken crust using canned chicken. egg salt garlic and parmesan cheese. Make my own sauce. It is as good as any of the.local pizza places and is low carb.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (222Sako, 219 Wasp, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,709
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.