Print Thread
Hop To
N
noKnees Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I was wondering if there is a difference in reliability and glass quality in the different Trijicon scopes. Think mostly about the nondialing scopes topping out at 9, 10 or 12X. Basically looking for a simple, rugged scope for game out to 4-500 yds for my son.

I am considering a SHV 3-10, but wondering if something like the Accupoint, Ascent or Huron might get us there with a lot less weight and a few less $.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The Accupoint has great glass, tough to beat glass in fact. My concern on the Huron, which isn’t nearly as good glass-wise, would be the eye relief. It’s very short.

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a couple of 3-9x40 Accupoints and like them a lot. They are light, reliable, illuminated and the glass is great. On 9x the eye relief is a bit short but I haven't had any problems with that and one is on a 30-06. On something like a light weight .300 magnum that could possibly be an issue.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To me, glass quality is over-rated these days - scopes over about $500 all have 'good glass'. It's not often I need to see the tick crawling under an animals hide and discern where it's shoulder would be. At the edges of daylight is my concern. Once a scope passes an acceptable vision acuity test, I don't care how much better the glass is. I'm alot more concerned with the ability of said scope to steer a bullet to its desired destination. I'm way more concerned about consistency and durability after it passes the edges of daylight standard.

To that end, I'm curious about the OPs question on Trijicon scopes, esp durability and consistency.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It’s my understanding in speaking with them the glass and build quality is the same across the different families - the price difference is due to the feature set vs build or glass quality.
To me (and in looking at the specs) the Huron and Ascent are a bit shorter in ER vs the AccuPoint or Credo/HX but still workable for what I’ve used them for (up to 708/308 but my next noticeable size up is 375 and I think they would be a bit short for that one)
I really like the AccuPoint illumination as it tends to be self adjusting for the given light conditions with no need to worry about turning it up or down.

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have an Accupoint, Accupower, Credo and a Huron. I can’t tell any difference in glass quality. They have all been reliable and are about all I buy nowadays.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Accupoint 3-9 with the duplex w/green dot is a great general-purpose hunting scope, light, illuminated, and so far my two have adjusted and held zero. For about $650, it’s hard to beat. Might need more Xs for some targets at your 500 yard mark, but I’ll never shoot that far on game anyway.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was excited to see the price point on Hurons and Ascents. My local dealer had a Huron that I piddled with. Glass is good. The eye relief was a deal breaker for me. I ended up buying a Credo 3-9x40 and loved it so much that I bought another. They are very good scopes for the money ($550). If you have a rifle with a 90 degree bolt throw, you may have clearance issues with the Credo.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The older I get, the more ‘good glass’ matters, early and late. I used to be able to shoot at earliest/last legal with most anything decent. These days, I’m noticing more issues resolving stuff in low light. The better the glass, the better that goes. So, I’m not sure you can ‘over rate’ glass quality. Yeah, it’s gotta be accurate/reliable/durable, but if I can’t see a deer or hog much past 100 yards to 30 min after sunset on a clear sky day, then durability/reticle/etc don’t matter, either.

The accupoint has done very well for me. I’m waiting to give a Hubble credo a whirl.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 12/10/23.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by noKnees
I was wondering if there is a difference in reliability and glass quality in the different Trijicon scopes. Think mostly about the nondialing scopes topping out at 9, 10 or 12X. Basically looking for a simple, rugged scope for game out to 4-500 yds for my son.

I am considering a SHV 3-10, but wondering if something like the Accupoint, Ascent or Huron might get us there with a lot less weight and a few less $.

I've been looking at the same scopes for the same reasons. Right now, I have two Nightforce SHV 3-10x42s and a Credo 1-4 with green crosshairs. Credo glass is as good or better than the NF. I like the NF for dialing but it's heavy and the Trijicons are not.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I picked up a 3-9X Accupoint with the green post for a brown bear hunt next year. The 1.5-5X was a fail at the end of day on my last trip there. I just loaded the 375 H&H's yesterday for my M70 and hope, weather permitting, to dial it in next week. Over the summer at my place in north Idaho a major retailer, Black Sheep in CDA, had a number of reps there including Trijicon. Their claim was that the owner of the company used the above scope and reticle exclusively. Who knows???

Conduct is the best proof of character.
N
noKnees Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I think I will try a 3-9x40 credo. 5 oz lighter than a SHV. Worth a try

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (907brass, AKislander, 300_savage, Anaconda, 8 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,577
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.