Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
So I'm looking for a new fish finder and I need side scan sonar, I look at new and DAMN, They're proud of them so I go looking at used, I don't mind buying used but it had be a dang good discount.

No discounts to be had, everyone wants within 100.00 or less of new price. The ones I really get a kick out of is the ones that have just the display head, no power cord or transducer. Their excuse, "I sold the boat with the wiring in it"..........Yeah sure you fugging thief!

I ended up ordering a Garmin Striker Vivid 7SV, anyone have one? How do you like it?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
A local place takes older systems in on trade for the latest and greatest systems from diehards and younger guys that have to have the newest systems for bragging rights. Can often find a decent older unit for reasonable price.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have a Garmin, it's at the cabin. It works well.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have a Garmin, it's at the cabin. It works well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a garmin vivid, I mean it works OK - I wish its range away from the boat was better but its good at depths

I don't expect alot from a $200 fish finder though

probably doesn't help that I just use a big clip to hang the transducer off the side of the boat.

Last edited by KFWA; 12/10/23.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lot of the upgrade is in the transducer/array...
Course they keep changing thins so it is not easy to swap arrays..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 12344mag
So I'm looking for a new fish finder and I need side scan sonar, I look at new and DAMN, They're proud of them so I go looking at used, I don't mind buying used but it had be a dang good discount.

No discounts to be had, everyone wants within 100.00 or less of new price. The ones I really get a kick out of is the ones that have just the display head, no power cord or transducer. Their excuse, "I sold the boat with the wiring in it"..........Yeah sure you fugging thief!

I ended up ordering a Garmin Striker Vivid 7SV, anyone have one? How do you like it?

No experience with that head unit, but Garmin makes good stuff.

Understand cost gets progressively more unpalatable as screen size increases, but personally I want at least a 9" head unit for side scan anymore. 7" gets pretty crowded/harder to pick out detail on. JMO.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KFWA
I have a garmin vivid, I mean it works OK - I wish its range away from the boat was better but its good at depths

probably doesn't help that I just use a big clip to hang the transducer off the side of the boat.

From what i understand you want to use the Side view (aka:side scan) for shallow waters and the Down view (aka: Down scan) for deeper waters. In Down view mode the picture is as wide as the depth of the water, in other word if you depth is 10 feet your scan will be 10 feet wide. In Side view mode your boat is the center line and the center of the scan will be blank as the scan goes out at an angle from the transducer so the width of the blank spot will be equal to the depth on each side of the center line, in other words if the depth is 10 foot the blank spot will be 10 foot each side of the center line.

I hope i didn't mud that up to bad for you.

I need the side scan as I'm looking for some stuff in a river so shallow waters.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hillestadj

No experience with that head unit, but Garmin makes good stuff.

Understand cost gets progressively more unpalatable as screen size increases, but personally I want at least a 9" head unit for side scan anymore. 7" gets pretty crowded/harder to pick out detail on. JMO.

Yeah, I couldn't stomach the price of the 9 inch unit.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
A lot of the upgrade is in the transducer/array...
Course they keep changing thins so it is not easy to swap arrays..

Way back when I was SCUBA diving(1980's) I wanted a Side Scan Sonar unit so bad I could taste it, the cost was north of $10 grand in those days, no way in hell I could afford that. these fishing units are probably better than that 10,000 dollar unit back then.

The technology has come a long ways since then.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
For Freshwater and basic lake fishing any of the big 3….Hummingbird, Garmin or Lowarance will do everything. I’m not a big lake fisherman or Hummingbird guy but I have fished with guys that are using the new Hummingbird units with down scan and side view technology and the new Hummingbird units are nice! I won’t touch another Lowrance after seeing at least 8 newer finders bite the dust after only a few uses. For me I’ve always run Garmin finders-plotters-gps and I like them a lot. They’re intuitive and simple to use. They don’t have a bunch of tiny buttons that you’re trying to tap underway while bouncing around and they’re easy to learn.

For the big boat I’m settled on the Raymarine touch screen. I need a unit in the flybridge as well as the main helm station and I want 1 unit for depth-chart plotting-GPS-radar so everything overlays on a large touchscreen. Deep saltwater fishing and needing more than a fish finder for navigating-radar-gps is where it can get more involved. If you just want a good fish finder it’s pretty hard to go wrong with the big names in the $200-$500 range. I put a little Hummingbird fish finder in my skiff mostly just for a depth reading and bottom contours when dropping pots. It’s worked perfectly fine for years now and it was around $100 new with the transducer….it’s nothing fancy and it only has 240p but it does everything I need.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

From what i understand you want to use the Side view (aka:side scan) for shallow waters and the Down view (aka: Down scan) for deeper waters. In Down view mode the picture is as wide as the depth of the water, in other word if you depth is 10 feet your scan will be 10 feet wide. In Side view mode your boat is the center line and the center of the scan will be blank as the scan goes out at an angle from the transducer so the width of the blank spot will be equal to the depth on each side of the center line, in other words if the depth is 10 foot the blank spot will be 10 foot each side of the center line.

I need the side scan as I'm looking for some stuff in a river so shallow waters.

yea, seldom am I in anything deeper than 20 feet

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Downscan is for below the boat,
Side scan is for out on the sides,
Downscan, depending on units is generaly around a 5/1 ratio, there are no units that I know of, that give a 1/1 ratio on depth/display.

Side scan can be very handy, at times a game changer.

Last edited by Kenneth; 12/10/23.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a couple years ago, Lowrance. Honestly I must need to spend more time with it, the side scan hasn't done much for me at all so far. I hope you get good results from yours. I didn't over pay but I'm not real happy with it.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Live Scope or bust

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I look at the prices on the fancy electronics whenever I wander through the store and think, wow, I'm lucky that I have skill and don't have to pay for junk like that.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have Garmin and Lowrance. Garmin is easier. You just turn it on and use a.touch screen to navigate. The.Lowrance is good but harder to figure out.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I rely on blind ass luck.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've seen hightec fish-finders that may have cost $50,000, that's a Lot of fish!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just picked up a cheap Garmin Stiker 4 for ice fishing. Most of my open water fishing doesn’t require one on the rivers. I may try to do some vertical jogging for lakers next summer though. I’m no help on the higher end equipment unfortunately.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

307 members (338reddog, 219 Wasp, 30Gibbs, 10ring1, 29aholic, 348srfun, 35 invisible), 1,754 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,205
Posts18,524,224
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.