-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, that’s what I needed to hear. I’m on the hunt for one now.

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
[Linked Image]

Ironbender, Here's the setup I like...in this case with a G29. This is a Simply Rugged holster mounted to a condor chest panel. I use Gear Keeper molle mounts to attach the holster to the panel by drilling a hole through the mount and using stainless bolts, kydex washers, and locking nuts to secure it. Then I cover the exposed nuts with that tool handle dip stuff. I also have the pistol secured with a Gear Keeper retractor. Also close by on the chest rig is a Buck paclite in a kydex sheath, spare mag, and a small flashlight. The chest rig has a pocket in the back that's handy for a phone, map, compass, speed strip, snacks, or whatever.

The advantage to this rig for me is that the gun is always available, as it works over whatever layers I have on. Even when totally ensconced in rain gear, the stuff I'm most likely to need is right there. I heat the holster with a hair dryer and saturate it with beeswax. I've been doing this for years down here in SE where the whole thing ends up soaked more often than not, and it works great. I avoid kydex because the sound of the draw scares deer very effectively.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
See outside is great on HPG. I had shot a pit bull that came at full tilt. I had a kenai. Any slower and it would have been on us. Also as some of you know, I was taken down by a black bear when I lived in AK. I had a belt holster and a 4 5/8” super BH. I was too slow and missed at point blank range. I just have a hard time with the zipper pouch holsters because of these two incidents. I did buy a HPG snubby Fanny pack that I’ve been trying but short of in town use, it’s just impractical and town use there is faster ccw holsters.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Thanks for all the suggestions and options. Much appreciated. I’m in no rush to decide. A lot here to think on.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The best chest rigs :
If you like Kydex it's the Kenai by Gunfighters Inc
If you like leather, it's Diamond D

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I tried the diamond d and found it was less comfortable and too shifty. When doing stuff like dip netting or working traps the shoulder strap had a bad habit of coming off my shoulder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I tried the diamond d and found it was less comfortable and too shifty. When doing stuff like dip netting or working traps the shoulder strap had a bad habit of coming off my shoulder.

I have worn my Diamond D with G20 in it many times while quartering and deboning deer and backpacking them out. Also while cleaning small game and fish alongside a remote river. Never had an issue. I have also used the HPG kit bag and found I have to take it off and set it aside because it rides up and gets in the way when working bent over a carcass. I don't like that situation because now I am separated from the handgun. The HPG is great and works better than a stand-alone holster for many applications. All the systems have some drawback or another to consider when evaluating them for certain uses.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Diamond D makes a nylon one. Great holster company

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
HPG. End of search ...

Last edited by Anchorite; 12/05/23.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.."

i before e except when your foreign neighbor keith received eight counterfeit beige sleighs from feisty caffeinated weightlifters. Weird.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My neary new Diamond D nylon is available for cheap. I retired it in favor of a HPG rig for riding ATV dusty trails.

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
HPG Recon kit bag with an M4 mag pouch on front.

Works perfectly.

when you need to secure it more, put the flap over it. When you get around others and want to conceal it, put it in the zippered compartment.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have tried all manner of chest rigs over the years and this is by far the best I have used, hands down.

Pictured below is a large frame Glock in the pouch.

I have never used a better, more practical setup.

Hey Ted, are those single mag M4 pouches for the gun?

Last edited by AZtwins; 12/06/23.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Sad
Campfire Regular
B
I had a HPG bag that worked well but was too hot for me while wearing it here in Alabama. I now wear a Kenai holster. I love it! I use it for hunting with my G40 and G20. I also have a Diamond D leather holster for my Python . It works well but the Kenai is the most comfortable of them all. Good luck in your search.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by AZtwins
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
HPG Recon kit bag with an M4 mag pouch on front.

Works perfectly.

when you need to secure it more, put the flap over it. When you get around others and want to conceal it, put it in the zippered compartment.

I have tried all manner of chest rigs over the years and this is by far the best I have used, hands down.

Pictured below is a large frame Glock in the pouch.

I have never used a better, more practical setup.

Hey Ted, are those single mag M4 pouches for the gun?

It is a double mag pouch. For clarification, each individual pouch was designed to hold 2 M4 mags. It works perfectly for what I am using it for now.

Here is a Gen 5 G20 in there.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
The best chest rigs :
If you like Kydex it's the Kenai by Gunfighters Inc
If you like leather, it's Diamond D

They are the best I’ve found. I have two of them. The better they are adjusted, the better they work.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
My Glock pard, akpls here, had ordered the Hosking kydex chest rig. Took a look at his and found it to my liking - simple clean design, with molding for optic and taller after market open sights.
That's what I ordered.

Hosking chest holsters

Appreciate the ideas and suggestions.

Last edited by ironbender; 12/10/23. Reason: Link

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
My Glock pard, akpls here, had ordered the Hosking kydex chest rig. Took a look at his and found it to my liking - simple clean design, with molding for optic and taller after market open sights.
That's what I ordered.

Hosking chest holsters

Appreciate the ideas and suggestions.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Just like that, but no optic, no grip tape, and Wile E. color.

Other than that, the same.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Guy in the Mat/Su Valley makes similar holsters, gonna have him make me a one off for my Glock 40 with a KKM barrel/muzzle brake and a TLR2 1000 lm light with laser dot

Also Mike Ulmer in Homer of Ulmers Rexall fame... makes these types of holster, made a custom for my brothers BFR in 460 S&W

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like the idea of a chest rig but hate how high a draw most of them are set up for. I want nearly horizontal at about diaphragm level. Some of these pics look like you'd be all the way at shoulder height before clearing.

Still shopping myself.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They are adjustable, I like my pistol almost under my left armpit hanging lower to the hip so I can have my bino's directly over my chest, binos get 100% more use and I need mine available STAT without compromising the draw of the pistol if there's a sudden need

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10gaugeman, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 3,552 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,703
Posts18,534,741
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.