Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
For those that have/use them, how do the turrets hold up for tracking? I'm thinking about one of the 4-16's for my 6.5 PRC. Right now, it's between that, Night Force SHV, or possibly a SWFA 3-15 MOA(if I can find one).

If the Zeiss tracks accurately and is known to be reliable, I'll probably pull the trigger on one. If their turrets suck, please let me know. I'm looking to spend $1000-$1300

Thanks

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The turrets track fine and are nice and positive. The little plastic piece that they use for the zero stop is crude and looks fragile. Why do they complicate schidt?? The glass is nowhere near comparable to a NF SHV. That is my experience with them. If I were spending your money, I'd get the NF SHV 5-20x56 with the zero set turret and the MOAR retilce. JMHO though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks for the input. I'm going to look at the NF scopes this Wednesday. I just want to be totally satisfied with the new scope. The 5-20 would be sweet on my bean field rifle and for shooting steel way out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the 4x16x44mm on my proof 300 rum. Works great and weighs 22.7 ounces.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 4x16x50 on a 6.5 PRC. Works great. No issues with tracking or zero retention.

Great scope. I have shot a couple of one inch groups at 250 meters with it. I think that is hard to beat.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our pleasure to discuss this with you if you have a few minutes to give me a call, 516-217-1000
Doug

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
I have a 4x16x50 on a 6.5 PRC. Works great. No issues with tracking or zero retention.

Great scope. I have shot a couple of one inch groups at 250 meters with it. I think that is hard to beat.

I think I've shot some of my smallest groups at 400 yards with the V4. Tracking and RTZ is very good.

Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Our pleasure to discuss this with you if you have a few minutes to give me a call, 516-217-1000
Doug

How does glass clarity compare between the V4 and the SHV? To your eye? I understand everyone's eyesight is different.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The turrets track fine and are nice and positive. The little plastic piece that they use for the zero stop is crude and looks fragile. Why do they complicate schidt?? The glass is nowhere near comparable to a NF SHV. That is my experience with them. If I were spending your money, I'd get the NF SHV 5-20x56 with the zero set turret and the MOAR retilce. JMHO though..

No it's not comparable at all it is better. You got a free scope and still bitch about it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

No it's not comparable at all it is better. You got a free scope and still bitch about it.

How was it free, when I paid for the one I sent them? Stupid runs deep in you man. You also don't look through many NF scopes, do you?

Have you actually done a side by side comparison of the 2 scopes in question? Your first 2 statements were false, lets add another one to the list.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Doug

How does glass clarity compare between the V4 and the SHV? To your eye? I understand everyone's eyesight is different.[/quote]

Optically I do not think you'll see a discernable difference

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

How was it free, when I paid for the one I sent them? Stupid runs deep in you man. You also don't look through many NF scopes, do you?

Have you actually done a side by side comparison of the 2 scopes in question? Your first 2 statements were false, let's add another one to the list.

You lost the argument with your fit of hysteria.

I have owned both scopes in question and sorry a 1k scope with no zero stop is a no go IMHO . If I had to buy an another dialing scope it would be a Conquest V4 and not any sort of SHV. To my eyes the SHV is nothing special, both are made in the same factory in Japan I would imagine the NF doesn't get the Zeiss glass. I have now owned 3 of them FWIW and 2 were NXS.

Yes you owned a cheaper model Zeiss and got upgraded and yet you still slam Zeiss.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 5-6 of the V4’s.

They have been excellent as far as tracking - RTZ. Zero stop is easy to set up.

I used to find the glass on the V4’s to be excellent - comparable to a Leupold VX 3 HD, maybe a smidge better during daylight.

In lowlight, I’ve noticed lately that the V4 isn’t quite as good as the VX 3 HD.

You can’t take my word as gospel. My eyes aren’t getting better with age.

All in all. They’re a very good scope that trims some weight over a NF.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I have 5-6 of the V4’s.

They have been excellent as far as tracking - RTZ. Zero stop is easy to set up.

I used to find the glass on the V4’s to be excellent - comparable to a Leupold VX 3 HD, maybe a smidge better during daylight.

In lowlight, I’ve noticed lately that the V4 isn’t quite as good as the VX 3 HD.

You can’t take my word as gospel. My eyes aren’t getting better with age.

All in all. They’re a very good scope that trims some weight over a NF.

🦫

VX-3hd does have nice glass on it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I like them and have had great luck so far. Think they are a Best Buy for the money when you balance out the glass, good turrets and reasonable weight.

Call Doug.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I just got off the phone with Neil. He said that the Athlon Cronus was the way to go. So, now I'm looking into Athlon, Zeiss, NF and Tract.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The turrets track fine and are nice and positive. The glass is nowhere near comparable to a NF SHV. JMHO though..

No it's not comparable at all it is better.

I thoroughly concur. It is better.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I prefer the v4 over the shv but in the 1300 range one could probably shop discounted V6's or even used NXS. The 3.5-15x50 NXS is one of the better killing devices in the woods.

Last edited by Jimmypop; 12/11/23.

Love Ksmïthïnhïzzër/fląvöřÐ.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Zeiss v4’s I have checked have had exact tracking. No error. As to how that holds up after hard use I don’t know. But for the money I don’t know how you beat them. Glass is amazing.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You should probably quit while you’re way behind.

Have you actually done a side by side comparison of the 2 scopes in question? Your first 2 statements were false, lets add another one to the list.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A bit of a side tangent here, but regarding tracking, adjustment increment error is not concerning. This can easily be compensated for in many ballistic solvers and in field confirmation of DOPE. What does matter, is that the erector adjustment axes are straight, that the vertical axis is parallel with the vertical line of the reticle, that adjustment increments are consistent (no error relative to each other) and repeatable, and that the adjustments take and hold through recoil and rough handling.

Absolute increment intervals matching what is advertised is nice, but not all that important (within reason).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,948
Posts18,499,003
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.